forzaitalia

BEFORE AND AFTER DECKING UPDATE

Sonia
4 years ago

My decking was looking tatty, so thought I’d have a go at painting it. I chose Screwfix Anti Slip No Nonsense Decking Paint as it had very good reviews. It was quite hard work with sweeping, scrubbing and hosing. I’d bought a long handled applicator which snapped in half within ten minutes but carried on, bent double, ouch! Quite laborious trying to get the paint in all the grooves, but job done. Fence needs doing too but I need to recover first! Will be interesting to see how long it lasts before it flakes off. By the way it really is non slip, amazing. What do you think?

Comments (47)

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

Fantastic Forza, looks like new. You must be delighted - even as you knock back the ibuprofen for your back!!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha thank you Jules. In the end it was easier to sit on a chair and paint so less bending required. Wheels on the chair would have helped though! :-D

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

I'm sure there's a prototype awaiting an inventor there ha ha!! Well done though. Looks fab

Sonia thanked Jules Mc
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

lovely !

• Carolina
    4 years ago

Looks great!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you E D, time will tell how this paint fares. The reviews were so good for this paint, also called Slate, and it was only £11.99 a tin. It took 2.5 tins to do 2 coats. I must say I’m very proud of the finish!

• E D
    4 years ago

And so you should be!

Can I ask you how long you’ve had your decking and if there is any sign of rotting timber?

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I can’t really remember E D but several years, maybe about 7 years at a guess. its still quite solid but has a tiny bit of rot near the bird table, probably an area of about

4 inches x 1 inch but I painted over it! It’s lasted well overall.

• Patrina
    4 years ago

Love it Forzaitalia. Are you planning to paint the fence as well? only I think the fence is a nice contrast with the deck.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Patrina. I am wondering whether to do the fence surrounding the deck too, but, as you know that can be exhausting when you have health issues. I think the fence behind the green seat looks a bit faded. I don’t know yet. I’ll sleep on it! :-D

• Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

My goodness Forzaitalia, what a smashing job! It looks brand new!

Your efforts have been rewarded.......now go and get a nice glass of wine to sit and enjoy it!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Ribena!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

That looks fantastic now! Just wondering how runny the paint is because you could possibly use one of those spray applicators if it was thin enough and you did want to do the fencing (think that would look so well done the same as the decking!)

My brother in law, who used one on his back fence, said it was a great job and it took no time to do! His looks good and he has hands for nothing! Lol

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

That looks superb Forza! Well worth the effort. Now get the wine out and enjoy! ;-)

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Beano. It is quite runny but I don’t trust myself with a sprayer as I am so clumsy! Probably end up spraying all the plants too........

Thanks Rachel. I don’t really like wine (I know!) but I did sit out after dinner with a very nice cup of coffee! :-)

• AMB
    4 years ago

Looks great! Very smart. I knew someone who slipped on wet decking and severely broke her leg. She was young, fit and healthy. So the anti-slip paint pays off!

I took, do not like the 'silvering' effect. I think it looks tatty and miserable, especially on large areas like fencing and cladding.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you AMB, and it is wonderfully non slip. Has a slightly gritty texture.

• Pat Auld
    4 years ago

What a transformation. It looks great. Well done, definitely worth the effort

• Lena
    4 years ago

Forzaitalia, congrats on the job well done! It instantly uplifted and modernised the look of your patio.
    Meanwhile, answering your question - I painted my old decking which started to rot in places, about two years ago.
    It still looks ok, while the paint started to peel off within a year, only in places where the wood was particularly rotten.
    I’ll upload a few pics when I’ll get out to the garden.
    Anyway, the painting exercise prolonged the decking‘ slide by about three years.

• Lena
    4 years ago

Not slide, but life

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Molly and Lena. Yes Lena I hope it will do that. I know a softwood deck won’t last forever. We’re often talking about what to replace the decking with when it finally falls apart! Let’s hope we can get another three years out of it! :-)

• Becky
    4 years ago

Looks amazing!

• T Gray
    4 years ago

Very nice Forzaitalia! The colour has updated the space just enough to look really lovely.

Just had a thought about your fence though. What about putting horizontal 2 inch battens across it to hide the 'inside of the fence' look? That would finish the space nicely and you could either leave as the wood colour or paint a contrasting one. I will see if I can find a pic to show you what I mean.

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ooh Mrs T I’m liking the sound of that! Even I could attempt that without having to cajole the other half.......... :-)

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

forzaitalia, I couldn’t quite picture what T gray meant until I looked at todays story and seen they had done exactly that!

The space looks fabulous though! You should be proud! I also feel sorry for your poor back!!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Gabby, Im falling apart! Yes i saw that gorgeous wildlife garden. I’ll have a closer look at the fencing. I could nail the slats to the 3 sturdy fence posts. I can’t go down to the floor as I have some lovely plants in the way, but luckily the seat will hide the finIsh.

• T Gray
    4 years ago

Ha! Those slats on the story today are exactly what I meant! Apparently a cheaper way of doing it is getting roofing battens rather than battens that have been advertised as garden ones. Painting will preserve them. Not my idea, totally stolen wholesale from Georges Old House, New Home telly series where I saw it done to great effect. Give it a go when your back is better though!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Very interesting!!! Maybe we can make our mismatched fence better looking the same way instead of putting in a whole new one? Plan on putting in some trees above the fence line and some other plants in front anyway.. hmmm

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

T Gray I like cheaper. Good idea! I like Georges programme but I do start talking with a Geordie accent after a bit.........:-)

Gabby it’s a great idea. Obviously original fencing has to be sound........:-)

• Alice Sermanni
    4 years ago

Amazing what a fantastic job your garden looks so pretty might do mine It could be doing with a revamp

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Alice yours looks really smart at the moment!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I had another look at your photos and I think we have the wrong kind of fence panels - oh well.. I tbh with ours replacing /putting a new one in front would look much better! It’s such a mess!

You should definitely give it a go tho Forzitalia! :-)

• Sam Potter
    4 years ago

Really smart finish. Nice work!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Gabby and Sam.

• New girl
    4 years ago

Hi Forza. I have just been to screwfix today to get your decking paint. slate was the only one they didn't have, even out of stock in main depot. I picked up the silver birch but I think it's going to be too grey, like steel,
    as I loved what you did with your decking I'll go and pay a little extra for the ronseal slate which I saw at b&q. I think your garden looks wonderful and Thank you for inspiring me with mine. xxx

Sonia thanked New girl
  • PRO
    MBH Carpentry and Joinery Ltd.
    4 years ago

oooh I like that colour! Did you use one of those decking pads you can buy that are specially designed for grooved decking? even though it was back breaking for you I bet you got some satisfaction seeing the end result!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

New Girl thank you for your lovely kind comments. I did Click & Collect so paid ahead and then collected the paint. I’ve just checked my local stores, nearest one in Letchworth, Herts, and many of them have about 8 cans per store, so is your store telling porkies? I would research any paints you buy as paying more doesn’t always mean better quality. Silver Birch was one I considered and it does look lovely. Good luck!

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

MBH yes I bought the Cuprinol one. It is okay (I can’t kneel due to arthritis) but you have to press hard to get the paint into all the grooves and that’s when it snapped! Funny thing is Screwfix sold the Harris one but reviews said it was flimsy so I got the Cuprinol one. Ha! I did like the stain though and it is truly non slip,

• Paula Flutter
    4 years ago

We got so tired of staining our decking year after year, finally gave in and brought Ikea’s decking squares, just love them

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Are they a composite deck Paula? Once my deck starts to rot I was looking at a composite deck to replace it.

• Paula Flutter
    4 years ago

No sorry they are plastic tiles that link together. They have been down a year now, all you do is wash them down and there are as good as new, it’s up to you how you want to design them.

• Victoria
    4 years ago

Looks great, Forza

• Sonia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Victoria.

• Moni Burns
    4 years ago

that's a great job. looks fantastic

• E D
    4 years ago

• HU-209277437
    4 years ago

Hey Paula - tiles look great....have you got a link to them. Did you have to prep the base in anyway?

Also the LED lights - what are those and are they wired in?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.