patrina_cossey

PAINTING BANNISTER AND NEWELL POST

Patrina
4 years ago

Hello Houzzers, I have finally had my under stairs cupboard and drawers built (sorry @ Sam Potter I chickened out of making them myself) I am now ready to give my bannister a little spruce up. Looking for recommendations for paint colour and type of paint to paint the handrail and Newell post. The rest of the stairs will stay white as will the drawers and cupboard doors. I would rather not have gloss paint but looking for a tough durable paint. I quite fancy picking up a hint of grey/blue as I have a dark blue bench in the entryway and dark blue Romans in the kitchen. Looking forward to hearing your recommendations as always I thank you in advance :-)

Comments (28)

• T Gray
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

The cupboards look great! F&B Railings on the banister, post and spindles would look pretty great I think.

Dunno paint type though, Hard wearing gloss would be my first thought. Perhpas gloss on the banister and a more matt on the uprights to give a contrast?

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Patrina, I think you’re doing the right thing painting these parts of the stairs. We did the same with ours (in off Black) as you may recall and I wasn’t really sure at the start but do feel it works really well.

I assume your front door is at the front end of this hallway?

I think it might be nice and ‘unifying’ to paint (the inside of) the door the same colour as you will paint the bannister and post.

• E D
    4 years ago

I’m really interested in your understairs storage, which is looking great.

Do you mind showing it with doors/drawers open?

We’ve been considering having it done for quite a while. Never got round to it but maybe yours can give us the encouragement we need. :)

• Patrina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi E D yes I remember, just not sure about paint type/quality/colour It currently has gloss which I know is durable but wonder if there is an easier to apply option in matt as I've read about water based paints being a bit streaky when finished. The inside of the front door is Anthracite grey, i've included a few pics of the drawer insides. ps. bench is now dark blue. Currently building a shelf for the coat closet it's been hanging in thin air since Sunday no screws lol :-)

• E D
    4 years ago

Looking at your (excellent) front door I think you actually don’t need to match the bannister to it.

Not sure if you would contemplate painting the other doors, but maybe you can paint those in a soft colour (a subtle green?) together with the stairs parts.

Would mean quite an extensive job though since you would probably have to do all the doors.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Hi Patrina, I used Little Greene’s water based eggshell on the bookcases I painted and really pleased with the finish. It has a slight sheen but certainly nothing like gloss. I did use 2 coats of primer first. It is touch dry in a few hours but it took about 5 days to properly harden. I chose it because it’s what a lot of kitchen makers use so it must be tough (unless they used an oil based eggshell?). As to colour, I’m all of a dither, but did like E D’s staircase.

• PRO
    Shahina Mulla
    4 years ago

Hi there,

Your under the stairs storage solution looks amazing. In terms of paint, from your images I can see that you have a gorgeous white theme running through the hallway and kitchen. My advice would be to continue with light theme and try out a subtle shade of grey. Grey is a neutral and versatile colour and if you decide to change up the blue or introduce another colour, it won't clash.

In terms of paint finishes, Farrow & Ball have two types of finishes for Interior Wood. The first is the Estate Eggshell which has a 20% sheen level. The second is the Modern Eggshell which has a 40% sheen level. They also have a Full Gloss finish which has a 95% sheen level.

Hope this helps!

• E D
    4 years ago

Many thanks for sharing the stairs storage photos Patrina.

Looks fantastic, both aesthetically and practically.

Can I ask you about cost?

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi Patrina. Love the storage. Just personal opinion but I would leave it, whilst I think a colour may look nice when stood at the front door, it's really going to draw your eye and cut up the space when sat in the living room. I also think having the dark front door works really well as it is for a long hallway without adding the bannister. I did actually download a free painting app to show you what it would look like but couldn't change the colour!!

• PRO
    MALLETT
    4 years ago

A nice blue grey oil eggshell would work well here it would pick up the colours in the carpet.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Love it as is and agree with Minnie but if I was going to paint anything I’d actually paint the new doors dark grey or similar and make them more of a built in feature, I like the hand rail and spindles white and sometimes you feel the urge to do something but in reality it’s great as is!

You look to have a lovely home :-)

• Patrina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone some great food for thought. I do like a crisp clean look. Our hand rail gets a bit grubby with hubby and daughter who could care less about cleaning :-( after all this, I might just keep it eek! white :-/ I always planned to keep the drawers and cupboard white though I have used crown easy care and it cleans easily. I love @ Beano's fondness of dark colours hence the dark walls in the closet to be finished with wallpaper on the back wall. because who wants a boring backside right. Decided against the tiles in the end @ E D they were smidge over what I was quoted by one of the online companies but got them made by our local chippie and they are solid, and well made so very happy with them.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

I did notice the dark walls in the closet! As if a closet wasn’t spooky enough! Lol, funnily enough I do love white as well, most of my home is white walled believe it or not but I have a few dark feature walls and a very moody livingroom, it’s either dark or light in my home, I don’t do middle ground! Lol

• Sam Potter
    4 years ago

Fab cupboards Patrina! I wish I was that good at joinery and your house is so smart a home-made job wouldn't look right in it, so I think you made the right choice. Paint your bannisters one of the colours from your runner?

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

You can use a good quality Satinwood, like Dulux professional Diamond Hard, it has a slight sheen, is water based, and very durable.

You could try a dark grey / blue, but actually I think it looks less fussy in white as it is.

• AMB
    4 years ago

I would usually be advocating the painting of the newel post and handrail but in this instance I would probably keep it white (dirty marks, I know) as it tones well with the rest of the hallway and what I can see of your house. I actually think painting it a dark blue grey colour would make it stick out badly against the carpet, white, and floor.

Another option comes to mind - paint it a completely different colour. Look round your house and see what other colours you can use. Maybe, bright yellow, or a pale pink or mint green? I think this would lift the room and give interest - but that's just me, I am a colour lover!

Maybe just paint the newel post then see how you feel..

• Patrina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Sam thank you, I was afraid I'd botch it lol. @ Beano the dark is to hide all the bumps as I also store my hoover and steam cleaner in that cupboard. Also have a light to scare the silly scare away the creepiness :-). It is by far my favourite bit as it's more practical to store coats etc. I think my mind is made up now to keep things white. Again thanks to all you lovely Houzzers x

• Sonia
    4 years ago

The most beautiful backside I’ve ever seen........:-D

• E D
    4 years ago

forza, I'm sure there's another joke in there somewhere.

Its hard, but I'll resist this time...

:-)

• Monica
    4 years ago

Looks fabulous Patrina, well done !!..... and I had the same debacle with my hubby as I was tidying the back of our understairs little laundry cupboard.

• Patrina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Forzaitalia, E D you guys crack me up :-) Monica Unfortunately our other halves never understand lol

• AMB
    4 years ago

Looks great! Love the wallpaper. If you have enough I think you should wallpaper that white bit. It'll look amazing.

• Patrina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ AMB I thought about it but changed my mind because of the Artex (devil's work)

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Looks great :-) really like that wallpaper, as I did the first time you posted it as an option for your bathroom :-)

Great little space, re the ceiling, I think it would look great painted the same colours as the walls if you wanted to change it! Looks good as it too :-)

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Just looking at it again, I think it would look great painted.

• Patrina
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ Beano painted in Dulux Steel Symphony 1? (yep that is what the colour is called) :-)

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Really nice colour that! Looks rich.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.