webuser_632457622

Plan for open plan!?

L F
5 years ago

we are having an extension done, opening up the back of the house to create a kitchen, dining, living and play area. I've scribbled so many times on that many pieces of paper, trying to find a way that works. we are pretty sure the kitchen should go in the existing part of the house, (drawn in pencil) as the ceiling will be lower... and the island will create a barrier. but the rest........ how to situate the TV so that you are sociable, but can see the screen and it be a cost area.... whķere to put the play area so that toys aren't everywhere all the time (we THINK) in the nook bit? and is it actually big enough for all this?! Any help appreciated! My own draft of measurements attached. Funny shape due to manhole cover and roof- however we may possibly be able to make it a rectangle...

Comments (24)

• L F
    Original Author
    5 years ago

should have put that we have sliding doors along the far extension wall out to the garden.... and a window on the nook... shown on this pic. But again, open to variation!

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

What are these two measurements, and where is the door in to the kitchen? ( presumably at the bottom where the gap is, but not sure )

• Related Discussions

Comprimising on Open Pla

Q

Comments (22)
    I would go with what the architect suggested. That was my immediate thought and also means that you will get light into your living area all day since the kitchen would be at the front and the living room at the back. It will be a nicer space to live in. If you really can't face bedrooms at the front though could you do something like this? It clearly isn't to scale!! You probably sacrifice a bit of space in that smallest bedroom but gain much more liveable floor space at the front of the house. It also gives your husband the open pan area he likes. It does sacrifice a separate entrance way though. I'd also shift the bathroom wall out and steal some space from the utility room so that you have a larger bathroom.
    ...See More

Open Plan Kitchen & Living Area Advice Please...

Q

Comments (4)
    A few things I would change from experience...instead of a single and double door I would spend the extra money and put in a bifold corner section...would open up the space so much more. as for the kitchen...completely flip your design...put your breakfast bar closer to the window...make it large and multipurpose with the hob in it and then put your main band of cabinets either left, right or behind? We have recently restructured our existing cabinets to this layout and put in new countertops and it works far better than before!
    ...See More

open plan space feels dull, dark and squashed

Q

Comments (0)
    Just looking for some advice on giving this half of our kitchen living room a face lift. want to get new table and chairs, possibly extending, as this is just about meeting the needs of our expanding young family. The couches are large and clumsy however not sure if we can afford to change these. would live some suggestions on table, chairs, TV positioning, furniture position. Thanks.
    ...See More

open plan layout

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi! Can anyone help with open plan layout? I have an L shaped kitchen!diner/Sitting room and I’m not sure here to put couch, tv, stove etc? Any advice out there?
    ...See More
  • L F
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you for your reply. Sorry, I had a couple of the measurements wrong anyway - turns out theres a reason we have paid architects and builders! below are the internal measurements....

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Looks like MATH is going to do one of his freebie layouts for you !!

We design lots of home improvements like this - taking a week to thrash it all out with you - culminating in a PDF with plans and item listing that you can shop around with - click on our icon or name to have a look at some past projects and client reviews if you want to see the sort of thing we do.

It’s not free - but it’s very in-depth and designed around you and your needs - and gives you the ability to shop around and compare like for like when you get quotes. Drop me a message if you’d like more info !
    (We don’t sell product - just design)
  • HU-804291259
    5 years ago

This looks like it will be really beautiful!

You could have a corner sofa around the top and top left corner of the room and then put the tv on the right hand wall. This would ensure that you keep the space open and free.

You could also do it the other way around and put a corner sofa on the top and top right corner and then have the tv on the left hand wall.

Obviously, this all depends on the space you have. If there's quite a lot of space between the kitchen area and the rest. you could have a 3 seater sofa opposite the kitchen table and facing away from it and on the right hand side a 2 seater sofa with the tv in the corner on the left.

I think it's definitely a good idea to have the play area tucked away so you're not tripping up over toys. Good luck :)

https://cultartfusion.com/collections/furniture

• L F
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks everyone, for comments and recommendations of each other. At this stage I am just concerned about being able to fit it all in there; a dining table (as well as the island) and the living area. With it being the 'heart of the home' the last thing we want to do is spend all this money to then actually have it all cramped up with no 'free to move' space! I'm glad you agree about the play area HU, that has taken a weight off! This is my very amateur off a free website kind of 'plan' if you will.... I'm just not too keen on positioning for being able to watch the TV....?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I think you'll fit it in, if you're very careful how large you buy the sofas and dining table / chairs etc

For instance, you picture a 2 three seater sofas, and you'll definitely have room for only 2 two seaters a max of 200cm wide to allow for the walk room through and past the table and chairs.

Also, make sure you buy a table as narrow as you can manage for the same reason. You have 8 spaces at the dining table and without encroaching on to the play room space, I think you'll have room for a table seating 6.

So basically everything has to be scaled down a bit as the space is very tight going across side to side.

Here's the plan with the 3 seater sofas and an 8 person table, as you see, it just doesn't really fit.

• L F
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you. I see what you mean. I might try and play with sofas to try and get a corner sofa in or something instead, I'm not sure if 2 2seaters is enough seating now. A large ish corner may be more cosy too? I will also maybe look for a dining table with a bench or something, so that the table can be pushed up to the wall when not in use -as I expect we will use the island for most days, just save the dining table for weekend/having family over. This might help to make the free flow space a little larger too?
  • bookworm987
    5 years ago

I would definitely go for the corner sofa if youre having a tv- 2 sofas facing each other only works if theres no tv involved. The corner sofa would also help to zone the space. And youre right about a bench- even when the table is in use, it can be quite close to the wall with a bench.

In the playroom nook, use a large cosy rug to define the space, and try to make a whole wall of storage so that everything can be put away each evening. Ikea storage cubes are a brilliant option for this.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A corner sofa probably isn't going to help you unless you go for one this shape. You need to cut down on the width across the room as it encroaches on the dining area. This shape will work as it's a lot less deep.

The dining area is the biggest problem because of the short length of the wall at just a bit over 2m. A bench could help, but you're right, you'd still end up pushing it against the wall for the most part. However, you could probably use the four outside chairs all of the time. Or you go for no bench, 6 matching chairs and push it to the corner so that it's tidier and use the three outside chairs all of the time.

Swapping sides for everything offers up the best alternative as it utilises the short wall for the T.V allowing the sofa to come backwards instead of the table, which looks a lot better.

You then put a bench on the left under the table, push the table to the wall and are able to use four chairs all the time, with the option to pull the table out and use the bench underneath, which, takes up far less room than two extra chairs.

With the sofa are there, you can also see the play area well. I would also consider maybe in the future, putting in glass bi-folds on the play area with blinds to pull down in the evening, closing the area off for a more relaxing adult environment.

• L F
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    This is great. Thank you so much for your insights and advice. I had thought about swapping sides but thought that it would be better to have the living area along the longer wall to utilise the length available. Seeing how you have planned it there though- just makes it work! We had asked our builder about making it a full rectangle, but apparently it will be too difficult with the roof and the pitch and our current roof over our garage.... so it looks like we will be keeping this shape. We are however looking into getting another few cm either on the width or that 2m length wall to increase the main area and make the play area just a bit shorter/narrower (hoping that makes sense!) so we may end up with a tiny bit more space to play with
    I really like the idea of the bi-folds on the play area to keep it open and the flow but then close it off in the evening too!
  • L F
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Can I just ask the sofa dimensions on the final pics please?
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Hi, yes swapping sides works because you put the tv on the short wall and then the sofa overhangs the play area.

Trying to put the table there isnt' so successful.

Here are the dimensions i used.

• L F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you all for advice on this..particularly MATH....such great advice. We had a bit of a stall with the funds but happy to say the build has started! Yesterday!!! I'm really hoping we can pull this off to make this a really lovely addition to our home!

• Kat
    4 years ago

I would not have a separate dining table and instead think about the kitchen design to make the island more like an island/ dining table hybrid

• rinked
    4 years ago

How many persons in your household?

And where is the current plumbing? (and can it be moved?)

• L F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Theres 2 adults, a toddler and there will be a newborn.
    There is only currently a radiator on the walls that are being knocked through to the extension, so we can put them anywhere.

• Suzanne C
    4 years ago

Would you consider underfloor heating rather than radiators as it looks like you are limited on wall space..

• L F
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I dont think we can afford it, for such a large floor space.

• rinked
    4 years ago

Underfloor heating is great though :)

• PRO
    Alexander Joseph
    4 years ago

Hi there, hope it is all going well with you extension. We sell luxury cordless lamps that are perfect for open plan rooms. If your furniture is positioned away from walls, you would like to move your lighting around or you have a big space to light up our lamps work really well. They are designed with kids in mind and fully rechargeable so please do get in touch if this is of interest to you. Kind regards, Beth

• rinked
    4 years ago

Personally I would like to keep it more open. Here's a layout:

540cm is not much to place a dining table and sofa with tv in, but too wide for just sofa and tv. So I've kept the garden doors offcentre. Spacious walkways. Flexibility (no island mounted to the floor). Hopefully sufficient countertop and kitchen storage space.

I do really like the idea of semi-open doors/curtains for the playroom!

• PRO
    Feature Radiators
    4 years ago

There are some really well priced, high output fab vertical radiators now such as our Ellipse that offers a huge 2200 Watts / 7500 BTUs for under £400!

Ellipse vertical radiator

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.