jillyrene

Backsplash tiles acceptable or bad enough for redo??

JR T
5 years ago
Hello!

I’m wrestling with the quality of the installation of my glass tile backsplash. . .

There are some tiles that are off/not-aligned, the grout is sloppy and cracking in many places (24 hrs after install), the corner isn’t done well and the decision they made around the windowsill is terrible. This is their second time laying the tiles since they’d put them on in a brick-style first instead of linear. They hadn’t grouted yet, but we’re still pretty angry with having to rip it all out and redo. I don’t understand why some people don’t confirm a customers intention before doing work but. . .

So I’d love to know what you would do— have them redo just around the windowsill? Have them regrout? Rip out the entire thing and start over? Or does everything look great and I should just enjoy??

Thank you for all input!!
-Jill

Comments (30)

• JR T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More pics
  • Illie
    5 years ago

Re-do. It looks sloppy.

• lisadlu16
    5 years ago

I would like it redone if I were you.

• PRO
    Creative Partner - Home & Design
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The minimum they should do is re-grout everything. If it already cracks after 24 hours, it's getting worse. I would also have them redo the windowsill area. After all, you need to live with it and you want to enjoy your new space every day and be happy with it!

• Kelsey Terschak
    5 years ago
    Yes, I would redo. Sorry for your disappointment!
  • Nidnay
    5 years ago
    The area around the outlet is particularly poor .....grout lines are completely misaligned. I would not accept this. I realize how difficult it is to insist they do it over a SECOND time. Especially when they got angry with the first redo. But insisting they do it over does not really guarantee you’ll get a decent job. This happened to me with a guest bath shower....I insisted they redo it but actually, the second time around was even worse than their first attempt and then they had to rip things out and do it again. And the poorer their attitude, the worse the quality of the install became. It’s redone, and a bit better, but absolutely not what it should be. I got tired of fighting.
  • PRO
    Barbara Brown Interiors, Inc.
    5 years ago

So sorry for your difficulty with this. The job is very sloppy, sure wouldn't work for me or my clients. Maybe find another installer, cut your losses. Good luck!

• JR T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all so much for your feedback!! I’ve never posted here before and not sure how to comment directly on any one post (I hope this goes through) but I so appreciate every single comment. Because this whole process has been exhausting and I’m tired of having to “fight” through every step so far, I needed some reassurance. Many thanks to you all.
  • JR T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    M Miller - Thank you! I actually don’t know if they have a bulls-nose tile for the edge. The brand is Bliss Element / Ice - I’ll find out.
    And yes for sure I’ll be finding a different company. This whole terrible process is wrapped up in an insurance claim and using “their guys”.
    Thank you again for your input.
  • PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    5 years ago

I would have them redo it! As a contractor myself, I stand by my customer's happiness and my company's reputation. If a job is not done well, especially it only being 24 hours after, it needs to fixed.

• User
    5 years ago

The wall should have been flattened out before the tile guy started putting up tile. That's the varied spacing issue. Add in he attempt at too narrow grout lines for the tile warpage. That also contributes to the spacing issue.

Larger grout lines should have have been used, with a grout with microfines aggregate. Like MAPEI Ultracolor. Not unsanded grout. That's the issue with the grout. The chsnge of plane should be color matched caulk.

It is a do over with with someone with more skill. Glass is always an big up charge to deal with, so take the typical $1200-$1500 ceramic subway tile and add 30-40% to that. More if they have to flatten the wall, or the tile is really warped, or you want something like an epoxy grout.

• JR T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    GreenDesigns — this was brand new drywall they were working on, does this make a difference? And are you saying the *installation* of glass tile is 30-40% more expensive or just the tile itself?
    Thank you!
  • User
    5 years ago

Brand new drywall is no more flat than drywall in an old house.

Yes, the labor is more for glass. Because there is a lot more time and labor to do glass correctly. It chips and shatters. It takes a $100 blade for the wet saw. The cut edges have to be polished. Etc. It can take twice as long for the install.

Find a Certified Tile Installer from the Ceramic Tile Institute.

• PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    5 years ago

Your actual cost differential will be the cost associated with hiring an actual tile professional to install the backsplash. This was not a professional job (as you know). It would not cost you 30-40% more than most other tile as a real professional is experienced in glass tile installation and has the appropriate tools. They would also examine your substrate and determine the appropriate prep for a flat surface. If they were not familiar with your particular tile (I believe it is actually Anatolia Tile? The "collection" would be Bliss Element" and the color "Ice"), they would review the manufacturer's recommendations for installation including recommended setting materials, type of grout and grout joint width. The use of sanded or unsanded grout is specified by the manufacturer of the glass tile. And finally, the professional would discuss, with you, lay-out preferences and limitations as well as the use of trim pieces for treating the edges for a professional finish. Sorry you experienced this.

• JR T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Dragonfly— thank you for that feedback. Wow - I most certainly haven’t been dealing with a professional. I had no idea all that thoughtful consideration should be discussed beforehand. And thank you for clarifying that the tile is Anatolia and the “Bliss element” is the collection. Would you say this is quality tile?

Also if you or anyone can recommend a professional tiler in Chicagoland area, it would be much appreciated.
  • simplify52
    5 years ago

No pride in this person's work. I would insist on a redo.

• User
    5 years ago

Pride is irrelevant. It is skill that is lacking.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    5 years ago

We work with some contractors from our local area and they would never do anything like this. It looks sloppy and unprofessional. You should definitely ask for a redo. Very sorry for the waste of time and your disappointment but this an look great with right professionals. Good luck with your project!

• Nicole R Dsp
    5 years ago
    Redo!
  • PRO
    5 years ago

JR T, The tile quality is fine. You should see if they have any trim pieces, like liners, in the collection. Send me a Private Message with your general location in the Chicago area. I'll send you some names/numbers later today or tomorrow.

• lefty47
    5 years ago

HI -- It is sloopy and they didn't take care . There should not have been a part tile in the corners . When the tiles are set in a stacked pattern then extra care with install is needed . Was this done by a tile setter or the contractors minions ?

• hamamelis
    5 years ago

You seem to like them (and they are very attractive minus installation defects), so sustainability might factor into the mix. More landfill, bigger footprint, or less?

Btw, I'd stand a piece of art sculpture in that corner. :)

• Sunny
    5 years ago

Make them re-do it. You paid good money and should be happy with the result.

• PRO
    5 years ago

JR T, I responded to your PM with a referral in your area to a real Pro who, if he can't fit you in, he will refer you to another qualified contractor. Let me know if you didn't get it. He's expecting your call. Good luck.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    5 years ago

This is an important statement by JR T that homeowners need to be aware of.

"This whole terrible process is wrapped up in an insurance claim and using “their guys”. "

You can be assured the Insurance companies are not using highly paid professionals. My guess is Dragonfly may agree.

• njay
    5 years ago
    It's a re-do, in my opinion, but you need to find a different installer.
  • JR T
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    An update: I want to thank everyone who commented on my dilemma here. It made a huge difference when dealing with the insurance adjuster. I was able to show him all the comments (clients and Pros!) who unanimously agreed that this was a poor job in need of redo.
    And it’s clearly not just about the aesthetics. The crumbling, cracking grout would get worse and cause major issues down the road. I’m in contact with a professional near me (thank you, Dragonfly) and hoping to get it done right this time. Thank you all!
  • PRO
    Classic Structures Inc.
    5 years ago

I agree with Creative Tile to some extent.

I do not know what the arrangement the insurance company has with the home owner is but what is true is that many tile setters are not capable. They simply do not know the difference!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

If they don't have bullnose edge tiles, consider doing a Schluter 'Jolly' trim piece. looks much neater. They come in a dozen colors and metallic finishes. And an 8' strip is about $25 or so. Avail at Home Deport or any decent tile store.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.