londonsandi

Massive renovation in West London : which colour box sash windows?

Sandi Kalsi
5 years ago

Hello All!

I need to decide on the colour of the new wooden sash windows for our home TODAY! Was about to stick to a white shade but now am considering a deep dark colour. I reckon it will look great but a little hesitant in taking the plunge...A pic of our home below and yes it is a restaurant we live next to!

Would love to hear from you

Comments (21)

• smartypantsnancy
    5 years ago
    Ooooh Sandi
    I think they would look great painted a dark colour. Are you keeping the purple door ?(it looks lovely) I was just looking at some colours and there is a new F&B black, Paean Black, which looks to have a purple/red undertones. Then maybe paint the rendering with Brassica (no I don’t work for F&B its just I has the colour chart here) If you planted some big green leafy plants at the front it would really look good. I painted my back area dark (??!) and it looked very effective with the foliage, even though I was worried it would be too much. I even painted ‘tiles’ on the floor ...I did get a little carried away when I realised it was working ok. Good luck
    Before and after picture
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Lovely classic building should have lovely classic windows - white. At least you won’t have far to go if you can’t be bothered to cook!

• Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh wow! It looks amazing and so chic and classy. The tile effect is incredible. Thank you for your input. I was asked last night to choose the window colour as we are having new sash windows made and they were asking for the chosen colour. I have had a look at the Paean black which is stunning. My concern is that colours on the front of the house look brighter and lighter than expected as it is south facing. I was thinking more on the lines of 'Railings' with a gentle white. Spoke to someone at Farrow and Ball and she suggested 'Downpipe' with the rendering painted with 'Hardwick white'. I reckon 'Downpipe may be too light. Decisions......

• Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you forzaitalia! We've been in the house a while and had many a meals there and for takeaway.

• Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I was thinking something like this.

• E V
    5 years ago

Such a lovely bright building facing south, i would most definitely leave it white. There might be some risk to look odd painted black amongst white painted houses, unless theres plenty of dark painted ones on the same street

• J C
    5 years ago
    It’s a difficult choice as for different reasons, both would look great.... I love the darker painted look, but my worry would be that since your property is part of a whole, it would look out of sync if all the rest of the windows in the building are white. It only takes 1 to choose a colour, and where others follow suit, you can’t rely on their choices being complementary and the building could then suffer from those choices!!
  • Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OK so i have gone safe with white. It'll go with the white internal shutters too. Thank you!

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

I'm glad you opted for white. That would have been my vote. I think any other colour would have looked wrong in the context of the rest of the street.

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Good choice Sandi! You could always choose the dark grey on the walls indoors. Think how lovely a dark grey would go with white shutters. Good luck with the rest of your refurb.

• Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you again everyone. I feel great about choosing white. You're right about the colour needing to be in context with the rest of the houses on the street. It would look out of place. All the buildings on or street have white windows. Hurrah for Houzz !

• PRO
    Hand Built Designs
    5 years ago
    If you are to consider a dark colour, 'Subway' by Colortrend is really great. It's a soft colour- black with brown & greyish tones. It works really well with Sandstone coloured bricks.
    Sandi Kalsi thanked Hand Built Designs
  • Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A direct question! Satin or polished ironmongery on the sash windows? I simply can't decide ......

• Sonia
    5 years ago

I like both! Wonder what the original ironmongery would have been?

• E D
    5 years ago

To be in context with the rest of the houses you could have copied your Tandoori neighbour’s windows, including the net curtains!

Okay, maybe not...

:-D

• verdigrisjane
    5 years ago
    My son and daughter-in-law have painted their window frames on their mid Victorian house a dark charcoal, in ...not gloss, not quite sure what and it looks wonderful. I had great reservations when I was told what they were going to do, but it makes white look wrong. Of course bright white wasn’t available until after WW2, so a bright white would never be traditional.
  • verdigrisjane
    5 years ago
    In a different context we have had to paint houses because of the style and have always gone along with our colour choice (not wild colours -I’m a granny!) and not with the conservative trend. We have had many compliments on each project and neighbours have then also begun to strike out on their own and the norm has changed, for the better.
  • Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you verdigrisjane. I understand your reservations but also it is brave to take the plunge. Especially if no one else on your street has it. We have decided with white as it needs to visually be in context with the other houses. If we has a larger facade or we not part of a building I would have opted for the braver charcoal choice. But I am happy with our decision.

• Sandi Kalsi
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Brilliant E D! You made me chuckle. Soon it'll be vintage curry chic !!!

• PRO
    Priors Period Ironmongery
    5 years ago

If you are in need of traditional sash window furniture click here, English made best quality!

https://www.priorsrec.co.uk/sash-window-furniture

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.