rona7770

help -advice on chimney stack eyesore

rona7770
27 October, 2018
Hi my husband asked me to get help from houzz - he dislikes the look of the back chimney stack which is an odd shape!

• Carolina

Hi, bumping your dilemma :-)

• Emily
    I don’t find it offensive at all but I would get rid of the trellis next to it. If the trellis is there to start a plant growing up the house then I suppose it’s different. But tbh as much as I love plants having them grow on the house can cause problems.
    rona7770 thanked Emily
  • Gerty Werty
    paint it black.
    rona7770 thanked Gerty Werty
  • rona7770

Thank you we did think of painting it black but obviously there is no going back once done. At the moment that is just render but will definitely consider it.

• rona7770

Thanks Emily - we did think of growing a plant through it but left it too late this year. Maybe it draws your eye to it rather than away!

• 1shanson
    Consider the following:
    Remove the existing small trellis from the wall;
    Paint the rendered part of the stack in a dark colour;
    Trellis the rendered part of the stack above the bend - make it substantial to ensure coverage;
    Install a tall statement pot at the base of the stack;
    Plant and grow jasmine up the support (choose from winter or summer flowering);
    Enjoy the lovely fragrance when you exit to your outdoor space and admire the pale delicate star shaped flowers.
    rona7770 thanked 1shanson
  • rona7770

Thanks so much that sounds like a great idea - do you think I should paint the trellis the same colour to blend in?

• 1shanson
    It will not take long for the jasmine to cover the structure so colour will not be that crucial. Your paving looks lovely - you could always paint the trellis in a similar colour. Garden Shades do a couple of greys and coverage lasts for years. Good luck with your project.
  • rona7770

Thanks to everyone that commented here is the result

• E D

Looking very smart. Well done.

What else have you done apart from painting it?

• rona7770

Hiya put up some trellis to grow a wisteria.