nicolelauren

Need help with drapery color/pattern/material

nicolelauren
6 years ago

Hi! I’ve been stuck trying to select drapery panels for my living room for months! We have plantation shutters but the room needs texture and I think drapery would look great. I love the look of white drapery against white walls with a black rod. I tried it and it just looked really blah and somewhat cheap (See Photo). the drapes I bought are cotton from pottery barn. Should I have purchased the linen for 2x the price? Or do I need a color and pattern here... what would you do here? Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (30)

• Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

It looks like you need more drapery fabric to make it look full and plush. I think the guideline for fabric panels is 2-2.5x the width of the rod plus return if any. Maybe add some white items in the room. Cute pooch..

nicolelauren thanked Rawketgrl
  • Elle
    6 years ago

If staying with white, I think heavier material hung a silver rod halfway between the top of the window frame and the moulding would be better.

nicolelauren thanked Elle
  • Related Discussions

Need help in picking curtains and roman blind for my kitchen

Q

Comments (10)
    I do not see velvets and silks for a kitchen sink window sorry. There are plenty of gorgeous fabrics around with beautiful damask or geometric pattern that are striking, that could be found in a faux silk or linen. Velvet is something that I would never put in a kitchen. But it is your kitchen.
    ...See More

Need help for my living room colour scheme!

Q

Comments (9)
    Is the chandelier thing seeming a bit small for the room or is it just me? Given that your walls are plain, the sofa is plain how about a patterned rug? Do you like Persian rugs? I find that dark green wainscotting too heavy and would paint it a lighter color. Given you have just moved in I assume you are planning to be there a while. If you like traditional style do you want a fairly safe color scheme re walls and curtains, keeping future resale in mind. Or are u happy to decorate according to your tastes? The mirror seems a bit small to me.
    ...See More

Need help with curtains

Q

Comments (3)
    You have a lovely room, classic w prints will cheer it up. Check houzz.com under curtains or http://www.countrycurtains.com/category/100+curtains/115+fabric+by+the+yard.do?sortby=ourPicks&pp=12&page=4 For ideas...good luck
    ...See More

colour match help needed!

Q

Comments (4)
    Probably the light catches the wallpaper in a different way than the paint on the wall, so the cream paint didn't seem to work as well as you'd hoped. It's tricky... Maybe if you painted a swatch of the right green he might learn to love it?
    ...See More
  • Mrs. Lindley
    6 years ago

I think the problem is that all the whites on the wall, shutters and curtains don't tie with anything else in the room other than, perhaps, the whitewashed fireplace? Everything else is a different color and the walls and curtains just become background so to speak.

Replacing the red or jute rugs with a larger rug that has off white tones and adding pillows with off whith tones would make a big difference. Also, some nice sheepskin/throws in the same tones.

What does the rest of the room look like?

nicolelauren thanked Mrs. Lindley
  • nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you!! That makes sense and I have been wanting to replace the rugs and I’m dying for a new coffee table. I’ll send more pictures in the am. I do agree with you. I couldn’t see it before but I do now.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Cheap curtains will always look cheap. Find a fabric you love and have some made. If there is a Calico Corners nearby, start there. They make a very nice curtain with lots of custom options.

nicolelauren thanked Anglophilia
  • nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!!! It seems like the vintage rug has to go but I can find somewhere else for it. I’ve packed up the curtains for return and I’ll invest in something nice!

• nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You all inspired a little style remix! What do you think of the oatmeal curtains? I like them better! I think I need an additional panel on each side but I just wanted to see how the color looked. I took the red rug out. The fugly coffee table is still there but that’s another topic. Lucidos, I love the idea of a lamp! I saw a really cool brass one today at homegoods and I’m going to go get it tomorrow (hoping it’s stjll there!). So, let me know what you think of this and any suggestions you may still have. Thinking it might be time for a new rug but my toddlers might as well finish ruining this one first.... thanks again for everything !!

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

I like the drape color so much more and the rug you have now is fine, let the toddlers age it. lol. Good job!

nicolelauren thanked Yayagal
  • jjam
    6 years ago

They're great! Fantastic choice. I'd say they could be just a bit longer though. I'd give them a couple of days to let all the wrinkles fall out and then try to get them a little closer to the floor. Sometimes you can make it happen with bigger rings, etc., without re mounting the hardware. Sometimes a little thing can make a big difference, and you nailed it!

nicolelauren thanked jjam
  • krissy377
    6 years ago

Cheap curtains will look that way

• nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I agree with the length, I was disappointed when I hung them. Thets a great idea with the rings. I’ll give it a few days and if not, I’ll return them and see if I can find a 96 or 98” version somewhere. It feels so much nicer in the room now!

• nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Krissy for that constructive criticism

• roarah
    6 years ago

I would lower the rod a tad rather than longer curtains if you have extra wall paint.

nicolelauren thanked roarah
  • everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

lucidos had what I'll attempt to call: urban comfy. havingfun's semi-sheer are 'for pretty'.... which...

how wide is each new panel? superwide might be good.

nicolelauren thanked everdebz
  • girlnamedgalez8a
    6 years ago

I really like the oatmeal and agree with adding a couple more panels. The rug looks much better without the red on top.You have a great start on a beautiful room. Maybe try a black iron lamp to tie in with the black rod.

nicolelauren thanked girlnamedgalez8a
  • PRO
    DeCocco Design
    6 years ago

The oatmeal drapes are a great improvement! You could glue some wide tape trim down the leading edge of each drapery panel--about 2" from the edge. Use glue that's specifically for fabric or double sided, iron on adhesive. Even 2 rows (spaced about an inch apart) of grosgrain ribbon in a coordinating color would give a little boost to the curtains. A very affordable solution.

nicolelauren thanked DeCocco Design
  • Lila
    6 years ago

Love the changes. Your room looks great

nicolelauren thanked Lila
  • nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for these great ideas! You’re all so kind and helpful! I’m going to shop around for curtains and see what I can find. Asking my husband to lower the rod will probably be the last resort. He’s handy but likes to do things one time. Everdebs, the panels are 50” wide. The length is really bothering me so I’ll switch them out. Should I look into custom? What kind of price are we talking about?

• nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Girlnamedgale, I shopped around my house and tried my daughter’s black iron lamp from her room. The black looks good but the lamp is too tall and looks funny. I saw an aged brass one at homegoods today. I have some brass accents and I think it might look great. I’ll take more pics if I get it tomorrow. The room does need a bit of Black now. Maybe I can use black frames for wall art?

• nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Decocco design, that is a fantastic idea! And sounds like something I might be capable of! I definitely can’t sew but I can handle some

glue. I need to find some inspiration photos

• nicolelauren
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Everdebz, What?! These are awesome! And the pinch pleat!!!!! The length is still 95 but I think these might be worth begging my husband to move the rod down. Thank you!!!!

• xenapittsburgh
    6 years ago

Pier one has a jute and blue/gray curtain that would look nice with your other items in your room. A natural color is also available. It is called textured waffle curtains and comes in both grommet and rod top. They look nicer in the store than their online photo for some reason. Of course it

just depends on what look you are going for in your home.

I personally wouldn't spend money on custom curtains. Your style and taste may change sooner rather than later. I would just get curtains longer than you need then use iron on hem tape or take them to a seamstress and have them hemmed.

• lucidos
    6 years ago

30 minutes of your time..after a good scrub of the tables..(I gotz little 1's too) a small sponge roller and a can of high gloss paint. (Let it cure for 2 or more days before putting it back in the room.) It will ground the room perfectly.

As far as the aged brass it may or may not work. I think it may add some disarray. Try it and see how it feels. Your changes have been magnificent. As far as the curtain choices...please...no...puddles particularly with little ones.

• Rawketgrl
    6 years ago

Looks great with just a few small changes nicolelauren! Nice job. Can't wait to see the fuller panels, it will really feel luxurious. The coffee table is much less noticeable now and since toddlers are notorious for being excellent stewards of fine coffee tables :) I think this one is perfect until the kiddos are older.

• jjam
    6 years ago

I agree with xena; no need for custom panels. The only time that makes sense is when you are wishing to incorporate a specific print or pattern, or have windows that are an unusual size. With all of the options in solid colors available you will find one that works for you. I do like the JCPenney drapes since they are 2X the width. That will look more finished and custom-like than having two panels hung side by side. The extra width will really make a huge difference! Also, getting them hemmed wouldn't be very expensive and that way you could get exactly the length you want (I agree, no puddling), Much easier to achieve than adding length to existing panels. You have a beautiful room that will also serve you well with toddlers.....good for you!

• mtsully
    6 years ago

I like the oatmeal curtains better than the white. I'd also suggest that you put up a woven/bamboo roman shade up over the window to cover the empty space between the curtain rod and the top of the window. It will make your window look taller and also tie in to the rug.

• User
    6 years ago

The new changes look nice. I like the oatmeal curtains.

Now please send me your red rug. :)

• Kitch4me
    6 years ago

Looks nice! I also like your prints on your back wall.

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.