chris_moore118

1960s Blockwork

Chris Moore
4 December, 2017
We have just bought a 1960s detached house which is in a great location but needs a total overall including facelift. Has anyone come across how to cover these dated blocks with either a modern render or cladding? They’re very uneven and totally date the appearance of the property.

• chloeloves
    Hi. You’ve got great potential there, I would get an architect on board. Meanwhile do a search in Houzz for relevant stories. There is one called ‘How to totally transform the structure of a 1960s house’, that should give you some ideas!
    Fern Architectural Studio
    Good morning, are you hoping to cover both the red brick and yellow stone or just the yellow stone?
  • lkirk44
    I like the yellow stonework l would stain the brickwork for a contrast
    colourhappy

I would render rather than clad, it would provide greater contrast. I live in an L shaped brick house and have recently rendered part of it and replaced all of the windows. Still work in progress and not painted but big improvement.

• J
    I quite dig your 60's utilitarian house. Must have looked great on the original architects drawing board. All those strong lines and blocks....

But anyways will look great updated! (And I think brick is back, baby)
    Martin McCurdy Architecture Ltd

Hi Chris,

If you want to change the look and at the same time significantly improve the thermal performance of the walls external wall insulation with a modern render finish would be a good solution to covering up the brickwork. The eaves would need extending to accommodate the thickness of the insulation plus render coat and, if you can stretch to it, it would be an ideal time to renew the windows (triple glazing would complete the new highly insulated overcoat).

However, dependant upon your Local Authority you may need planning approval so worth checking this out first. Assuming you are not in a conservation area, to do the works under Permitted Development rights the material used to clad the exterior have to have 'a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house.'

A timber clad rain-screen could also be used as the exterior finish but again planning approval and details around the windows and doors at the eaves will need to be sorted.

Martin McCurdy

W: www.mccurdyarchitecture.co.uk

• Rose Williams

My 2p from personal experience, it's not a great idea to render over the damp course layer, especially if it's slate... bridges the ground up over the damp course, if it fails/cracks, hello rising damp grarr!

• Chris Moore
    I am hoping to cover both the red brickwork and yellow stone
  • carocat24
    I think this house is crying out for a front garden to soften the edges, make it more welcoming and create a setting that respects and enhances the architecture of the house. A sweeping gravel drive surrounded by lush planting would be much better value and give you much more pleasure than changing the exterior I'm sure.

It wasn't so long ago when the fashion was to paint, clad and/or render Edwardian/Victorian houses and strip them of their lovely bay windows, fireplaces and features. Vandalism! When 60s architecture is all the craze again, and people are spending a fortune on restoring houses like this 'to its former glory' you'll be kicking yourself you fell for the whole 'ugly house' thing.

I think you've got a gem here, that just needs the right setting.
  • Jonathan
    Did you do it? Is there an after picture?