heidihart2000

Help, what colour windows and render?

heidihart2000
6 years ago
We are building a ground floor extension that is cedar clad with anthracite grey bifold doors and roof lantern to match our front door. My husband thinks we should replace all the windows with anthracite grey aluminium windows which I worry could be a bit harsh on a cottage and just a trend that could go out of fashion. I would love ideas about what colour render (which is way too peachy at the moment) and windows would work best and if we should go aluminium or UPVC? (I herd a rumour that aluminium no longer has the slimmest profiles and that UPVC is better?)
Thank you for your help!

Comments (33)

• julesrbennett
    6 years ago
    Anthracite is def on its way out. You could stay with the cottage feel and get a grey with safe green tone, or a putty grey so it isn't too harsh. Silver pearl is a good render colour that isn't too harsh or cream. Some have gone more barn / rural feel with black windows and some black cladding.
  • G Arnold
    6 years ago
    There seems to be a general perception that white is a "timeless" colour choice for Windows. Likely simply because it is safe and inoffensive. Personally , that puts me off it... I went anthracite aluminium (hate UPVC as the frames are too thick) and am happy I did. However the trend does now seek to be moving to lighter shades of grey, or heritage colours such as green, putty... etc. Following the thought process above likely they will be superseded by the next non-white trend whilst the fans of white will keep on playing it safe. The good thing though is that even with aluminium and UPVC you can recolour them... so it's not like you have to be stuck with the colour forever... plus, after 10-15years, you may want to replace them again as they will likely be even better options and the windows may no longer be looking their best.
  • heidihart2000
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Ooh good thoughts! Thank you everyone. I think it may well end up aluminium as I agree the frames look very clunky. Do you think it would work to go a lighter more concrete gray in the windows when the door and bi folds are anthracite or should we just do it all to match and go with a slightly darker more gray/mushroom render?
  • heidihart2000
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    *The UPVC being clunky
  • Juliet Docherty
    6 years ago

I think off white render and warm grey (with green tinge) you can't go wrong. As long as render isn't too yellowy. I recommended Fyntons as they are s small company and I was so impressed with the surveyor and how they worked within my budget. The team of Lithuanian fitters were the best, cleanest most polite people I have ever met. Highly recommend you give them a call.

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

You have a quantity of natural wood on display. The porch and the conservatory on the left. Is the extension on the other side? The cedar on the extension will grey, the conservatory will remain the same. I can't tell what wood the porch is made of from the pics, so that will either remain the same or silver. If it silvers then the wooden framed conservatory will look out of place, so you may need to paint that.

The tiles on the roof and the porch match , and, have orangey tones. I personally would not go for grey except for solely on the conservatory. I don't think it will go with the rest of the house. I'd be going for sagey green or beige tones to go with the wood and the roof, and a neutral cream, mushroom render.

• heidihart2000
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We aren’t fans of the fake wood conservatory so in time it will be replaced. The extension is going on the other side and the porch is oak. Thank you for your advice. I think my husband and I need to get some mock up photo’s done as I think you could be right.
  • PRO
    Croydon Window Company Ltd
    6 years ago

Hi have you thought of a lighter grey colour, we also do Heritage Alitherm which is a slightly thinner profile...

• 7weed1
    6 years ago
    I won't be much help here.... because I think your house looks really lovely in the photo that you provided. It's warm, friendly and inviting.
  • PRO
    HBD Systems
    6 years ago

I have attached a few pictures of houses with grey windows so you can see their render colour, hopefully this can help with your decision. Personally I do not think Anthracite will go out of fashion and think the colour can go with every property! You could always look as the Residence 9 collection for traditional window styles which you can have in any colour!

Hannah

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    6 years ago

Hello heidihart2000

How did you get on with this?

I am an interior designer but my clients often have this same problem visualising the colours and materials so I create mock up images of the house so they can see how it will look - and a variety of options so they can compare.

I think this does sound like something that would benefit you. They are big costly changes to make so it's nice to be sure you are making the right choice.

I have added a few of the images below for how mine look but different designers do them differently.

All the best with your project, I can't wait to see what you go for. Gina

• PRO
    Anglian Home Improvements
    6 years ago

Hey,

We have a handy visualiser you can use. Take a look and see how our range can transform the look of a house.

https://www.anglianhome.co.uk/visualiser?=10310

All the best with your project. :)

• Ally
    4 years ago

Hi just wonder what colour of windows you decided on ? As we have similar render and can’t decide on windows colour ! Be great to see your photos .

• heidihart2000
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We went with aluminium anthracite windows and Champagne coloured render by forever homes which is breathable waterproof and has a 25 year guarantee, can’t recommend enough, we are really pleased, good luck

• Ally
    4 years ago

Looks lovely ! Your extension is fantastic , and a good mix of colours !

• nualacannon
    4 years ago

I was interested in this piece and would have thought the antracite would be too dark but I have to say you made the right choice. Enjoy your beautiful home.

• ian marcroft
    3 years ago

Fyntons have gone bust. they just installed my windows and told us they had gone into receivership. leaving us stuck without a letter plate on the front door and a faulty sealed unit. not to mention no 10 year guarantee that we were sold on by Andy Dye. Hope nobody else got stuck like us. all out hard earned money.

• PRO
    Essex and London Construction ELC
    3 years ago

I agree, grey trims are proving very popular as easy to keep clean and very stylish!

Tara Taylor
    Project Manager
    Essex and London Construction, Basements, Extensions and Loft Conversions
    tara.taylor@essexandlondonconstruction.com
    www.essexandlondonconstruction.com

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

@ian marcroft I am really sorry to hear that you also got stung. I recommended Fytons to people because they did a great job for us almost 4 years ago. We recently needed to replace a huge glass unit from our kitchen which got broken as a result of a teenage accident. Fytons took our money and made the order then we found out the next day they had gone bust. I feel very annoyed, given that we were really good customers to them. I also heard they hadn't paid their fitters for 4 months which is terrible. If it's any consolation, one of their fitters is really helpful and knowledgable and is helping us out with replacing our unit. Im sure he would help you out too if he can, he's a decent bloke. Message me if you like and I can pass on his details. Best wishes.

• HU-516432045
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@ian marcroft @Juliet Docherty In May Andy Dye set up another company in his wife's name selling exactly the same windows, so if he wants to do the right thing when you contact him, he can. It is called Hatches Ltd. His businesses have gone bust time and time again. He's as nice as pie when he wants to sell you something, but if there's an issue his true, very erratic, nasty behaviour comes through. I'm so sorry you have lost your money. There are good people in this world, and he isn't one of them.

• ian marcroft
    3 years ago

Do you know the names of his other companies, currently we have Fyntons>Hatches?

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Yes Hatches is the new company, same people, in the name of his daughter Courtney Dye.

• ian marcroft
    3 years ago

please send the details of the fitter, we obviously have no guarantee now, I have emailed Andy Dye and Hatches, to see if this guy has any honour.

• ian marcroft
    3 years ago

I got a response from Hatches, denying Andy has anything to do with the business other than a consultant.Clearly the man is an outright scoundrel of the lowest order

• HU-516432045
    3 years ago

And yet still has the same warehouses and the same supplier. Anyone reading this in researching reviews regarding Hatches Ltd - make no mistake that this is not a sorry tale of unfortunate circumstance...he has had many run-ins with failed businesses and screwing people over. This next one will be no different. To take a payment for deposit when you know you're going to put the business into administration the next day should be criminal. But karma will have its day - a person can't behave in such a way and live a happy life. Horrible little man.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Ian can you send me a message on Houzz then I can forward Bronius' details.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

They have a Facebook account, I suggest leaving some pertinent comments.

• ian marcroft
    3 years ago

I have sent 2 messages now, have you seen them

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago

Have done now Ian.

• ian marcroft
    3 years ago

I created a review on trust pilot, feel free to add comments. https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/5fdb976b755dc107e0c6a0d6

• ian marcroft
    3 years ago

Add your comment on the business to my trust pilot link, it’s the best way to get this message out. After email with his wife they are claiming the business was a COVID issue, despite the business closing in Feb before COVID lockdown, ive heard they were left with £800,000 in debts,.

• HU-516432045
    3 years ago

£800,000 in debt after making sure they had taken all the money they could no doubt. The Dyes could easily solve your letterbox and sealed unit issue if they were interested in doing the right thing, as they only place these orders with another company in Lithuania, who are still the same supplier for Hatches. Fyntons/Hatches are basically selling on the contract for significant profit...if they ordered those parts again for you it would cost them next to nothing. Being a Covid issue is absolute nonsense...every other business involved in building and renovation is booming since Covid. And how strange to set up an identical business right in the middle of lockdown! Saw an opportunity to run with the money and start again.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.