tdharvey86

Which Range Cooker?

Charlie Spaniel
6 years ago
Hey all. I know it's been discussed a few times on here (and elsewhere) but I'm still confused as exactly which range cooker to go for. I'm a keen home cook and prepared to spend a little bit of money on one, but unfortunately don't have an unlimited budget. And yes, I know that integrated ovens are generally much better value for money but our kitchen suits a range and I'm happy enough with one.

We're looking for 110 in size (or 120 is doable) and our budget is about £2.5k for the time being, which has initially led us down the path of a higher end Rangemaster - I like the Nexus for its stainless steel handles - but I'm not entirely won over by its construction and wondering whether I should venture into the low end of some of the slightly more "premium" brands.

This has led me to consider the Falcon Continental 1092 - I know it's still part of the Aga-Rangemaster brand and there's quite a lot of crossover, but from what I've read the Falcons are superior under the skin. Disappointed that it (and indeed all Falcon models) possess plastic handles and still feels a bit wobbly in places, but it seems to get the thumbs up by people in the industry. I also quite like some of the Britannias (would love a Delphi 120, but it's pricey). Have also considered Bertazzoni, Mercury and ILVE. Things like Everhot, Aga, Lacanche, Esse all look wonderful but they're too expensive for right now and I don't know what my "forever house" of the future might look like.

Does anyone have any experience / opinions on the matter? I'm not too fussed about gimmicky things like rotisserie function or even having a timer (which the Falcon doesn't have) - I just want a solid oven that's going to last and cooks well. Also probably leaning towards a dual fuel as opposed to induction, mainly for the aesthetics. Something that's fairly easy to clean would be a bonus (I know induction would be better for that) and I like that the Falcon has gloss enamelled pan stands that will wipe / dishwasher clean better than rough cast iron.

Thanks!

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.