megsrichardson

help with house plans

MrsRicho
7 years ago

Hello, avid reader but first time poster here.
I just wanted some help/opinions on our house plans.

We are in the initial stages of planning an extension and renovation on our "beach shack". We are located on the South Coast of NSW approx 200m from the beach.
Our block backs onto national park/crown land so we have a lovely bush view and will not get built out. We are a family of 2 adults and 2 young girls.
All new walls are in red - we have tried not to muck around too much with the original structure to keep costs down.

Some general concerns/questions I had about our plans are:
- the width of the hallway. I increased it to 1500 as I didnt want it to feel too "tunnel like" walking down to the new living space but I am unsure if thats too wide and the space would be better in the rumpus/laundry/bed 2.
- the length of the new addition. Is this space large enough to have circulation space between each zone (kitchen, dining, living). I also dont want it to feel like a box...
- the size of the main bathroom. we only want two toilets as we are on septic and tank water so have a separate loo - does this make the bathroom size too tight though?
- the rumpus/study space. Im not entirely happy with the way that is laid out. Theres a supporting beam located in the rumpus which cant be moved but i think can be hidden with cupboard storage.

Anyway, any feedback will be gladly appreciated. I am keen to spend a bit of time ensuring we get the right layout as we intend to be here for a long time.

Thanking you in advance!

Comments (26)

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    Have you had any idea of quotes for the rectangle extension? My plan is to do something similar.
  • Related Discussions

In a new passive house, tiles or wooden flooring in open plan area.

Q

Comments (5)
    If you are doing in-floor heating (hydronic heating) I would go with tile. If you are not, go with wood. That's from the energy and comfort perspective. It's OK to look at the two options and choose the one that's most attractive. Don't feel like you need to optimize for energy with every decision. Also, both flooring materials are reflective acoustically. Plan your other surfaces accordingly, or you'll drive yourself batty with echoes.
    ...See More

need help with downstairs kitchen(shou;d I go open plan

Q

Comments (1)
    We have open plan and I love it! What lifestyle do you have? Do you entertain? Do you have kids? Do you enjoy hanging out together or do you like to have time alone? You need to think about how you live in the house and what works best for you. Also, are you a traditional type or more modern/contemporary styling?
    ...See More

Help me decide on house extension plans. Would be so grateful :)

Q

Comments (5)
    The "L' shape which extends further on the right will give you marginally more light into it - but this depends on the design of the roof and glazing - which is vitally important to the end result. I would consider putting pocket doors from the lounge into the kitchen (keeping the size as is) to allow the afternoon sun to be seen from the kitchen. This space might be a better option for the playroom - depending on the age of your children etc. I would put kitchen on the right hand side. Could you put a door from hall into the bike store so you don't have to go through the kitchen? Consolation prize for this orientation is that the back right hand side of your rear garden will hold the Summer evening sun the longest - so thats where to put the BBQ!
    ...See More

Help - need advice on first floor plans?

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm wondering if I share the ground floor plans would that make it easier to understand the house layout. As I'm thinking maybe the bathrooms have to be on one side of the house for plumbing reasons? Any advice would be hugely appreciated. Thank you
    ...See More
  • MrsRicho
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

adding a basin is high on the list of current changes - thank you!

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

I was going to say would start with possibly swapping the guest room with the bathroom & WC but it looks like that bathroom is in the original position so cheaper to keep it where it is, this was my thought to get a toilet closer to family and outdoor area for everyone to use. cheers

• PRO
    Chilton Architects
    7 years ago

I think the 1500mm hallway is pretty wide - I would vary the width to avoid it looking so long. Create a slightly wider entry area, say 1.8 x1.8m then reduce the main section of the hall to 1.2m wide - still very generous. Widen it out again before the entry to the living area and maybe build in some low level storage in that area so it is not just an empty space - also add a skylight here. All these adjustments will create interest along the way to the living room and stop it looking so long. I'm not clear on the location of the walls in the existing house, but maybe the study and rumpus room could be flipped. Good luck with the project

• MrsRicho
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you so much for your suggestions.
    Siriiuskey - the bathroom is currently in the laundry space (a joint bathroom/laundry). The distance is a concern for me also but we thought putting it In that room which is 3x3.6ish was the best spot as it was the smallest of the bedroom choices.
    Chilton Architects - thank you for the hallway ideas. That sounds much better than just a straight space! The existing walls are in grey - red is all new build.
    Do you think that the new addition space is large enough length wise? We want to place a fireplace and TV joinery on the wall berween the living and master bedroom.
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

all previous suggestions included in floorplan, the variations to the hallway should make interesting shapes for a gallery library area, the compartmented main bathroom would also work well swopped with the original guest study, variations to increase privacy for ens and wiw...Adding furniture helps demonstrate generous circulation space: your new home should be perfect in such a fabulous location

• PRO
    Chilton Architects
    7 years ago

The living / dining area appears to be about 8m long which should be ok - roughly 3m for the dining and 5m for the living room.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

I still have concerns with access to a family/guest toilet, and would move the bathroom to back onto the ensuite with shared plumbing. My brother inlaw has the same situation as you and has a third toilet off his laundry family area, using water saving cisterns helps. I have another link to share with you re adding an extension.

http://www.vogue.com.au/vogue+living/interiors/galleries/house+tour+a+shed+that+became+a+home,35906

MrsRicho thanked siriuskey
  • MrsRicho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks so much everyone!
    Oklouise - i really appreciate that you took the time to draw up an alternative plan. I'll have a proper look over with the other half tonight but it looks great at first glance.
    Chilton Architects - thank you, that's the confirmation I needed. I was second guessing myself.
    Siriuskey - yes I know what you mean. We might be better swapping the bathroom and guest room over. There isn't that much difference in size...
    I will have alook a t that link tonight. Thank you

Another change I have been thinking about is changing the kitchen to have a bench run along the wall (facing the winter deck) and continue into the pantry. This will have a window that opens (bifold or similar) as a servery onto the deck with the sink partly in front of it. I am not big on having a sink in the island as we are drip driers and I'm pretty sure the dishes sitting there will drive me crazy. It will be a nice spot to sit in the morning with the sun on your back also.
    I'm just unsure if that will change the aesthetics of the kitchen space being even and symmetrical.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Big reader did you check out the links for building a rectangular extension with using the shed barn concept, it would have to be a lot cheaper and looks fantastic, someone mentioned not wanting a box but all rooms are boxes it just depends on what you do with them, windows doors and internal fittings and most importantly the landscaping cheers

• oklouise
    7 years ago

love the bench facing the winter deck with outside servery and barbq? and left out any door into the pantry, added a few more variations including alternate positions for family bathroom with access through the laundry from outside, new guest and rumpus rooms with all the minor bedrooms grouped away from living area and new fireplace (rear outlet into rumpus room?) with space for a tv away from the view and the "POST" concealed in walk in linen

MrsRicho thanked oklouise
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi Mrs Richo, personally I love your kitchen family layout as is and agree that a sink in the Pantry with a window above looking out to the winter courtyard would be a great place to leave dripping dishes. I also would love to have door/doors opposite the Island bench onto the winter courtyard for easy access without return cupboards to block that sunshine from coming inside. cheers

MrsRicho thanked siriuskey
  • MrsRicho
    Original Author
    7 years ago

OKlouise - thanks once again! That makes more sense to have the bedrooms all together at the front of the house and the rumpus closer to the main zone - especially with little kids! And seeing the layout of the kitchen that way is much better! I had the picture in my head but wasn't sure it would work. Thank you for reassuring me.
    I haven't mentioned (but probably should have) that there are two rather significant structural beams that run along the house. We have utilised the addition of the robes in the bedrooms to disguise one (not sure what to do about the bathroom) and the other is in line with the support post that is hidden in the linen.
    The only room that really concerns me is the rumpus (in the new spot) as it will have a beam running across the ceiling that is quite noticeable. And the laundry/mudroom too I guess.
    Also, I'm unsure about having an internal loo. I think that is probably one room in the house that needs the fresh air. ;) I do like the concept of the separate basins to the bathroom and WC.
    SiriusKey - thank you for those references. I was thinking the same thing about keeping that wall free of overheads so the emphasis is on the windows. Also we have a raked ceiling with louvered windows on this side to take advantage of the sun and the sea breeze that comes that way. Love the styling in the fourth pic you posted - the timber and the white is right up my alley.

• oklouise
    7 years ago

you should be able to watch the kids in the rumpus from the kitchen, unless a structural beam will be lower than above door height it could be a feature memory of the original house that doesn't need to be hidden, with ceiling vents and louvre windows above the doors between the internal toilet and the bathroom, the internal toilet makes a generous bathroom more flexible and private

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

do you think that while the kids are so young that you will be using the"Guest Bedroom " to be closer. In the last plan I would suggest swapping the shower and toilet so you get you external wall toilet.

The beams in your house should be celebrated as part of the original design and not covered, make them a feature and continue them across the new extension, are they natural timber, if painted you can repaint to suit.

Don't forget the second sink in the pantry with the window looking out to the winter area for dumping washing and drip drying dirty dishes, perfect, the island sink for prep and drinks of water for the kids.

The toilet is now more reachable from the winter deck but for the times that you are all in the new extension area ie: Winter it is still quite a long way.

The first link I sent you re the Architect helping his son achieve his extension in an affordable way was to link the old house to the new extension was with a flat roofed breezeway style which housed the laundry and toilet, I will find a photo for you cheers

Lelean St Coastal Architecture · More Info

Lelean St Coastal Architecture · More Info

700 haus Trentham · More Info

Breeze way ideas are what ever size you want that connect buildings, this first photo has a small one at the end of the pergola

• oklouise
    7 years ago

here's a close up of the earlier bathroom

with an alternate family bathroom, the second one is not as spacious and loses the better view outside but does have an external window for the toilet

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

do you have any photos of the poles and beams and how many poles are there etc, how low are the beams, could the second lot of posts and beam be moved out and into the passage butting up to the wall. this photo from a new very expensive house with it's support beams exposed

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

oklouise I prefer the second taking the passage cupboard back into much needed family bathroom space, would the bath be better on the long wall rather than across the room, would also like to see a bigger shower. Internal toilets don't bother me anymore after seeing one done by an architect friend.

• MrsRicho
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Wow!! Looks like you guys have been busy. Thank you!

OkLouise - thanks for doing another example layout for the bathroom. I have had my heart set on a family bathroom with a freestanding back to wall bath under the window, the walk in shower next to it as a sort of wet area and the double basins running along that wall also. The easier to clean for me the better!
    I think I'll have to get the grid paper out and go Over them all this weekend.

Siriuskey - I don't have any pics of the beams - currently they are within walls. Our home is a small "beach shack" which was renovated by the previous owners. It's size is ok now for our youngefamily but looking into the future we will need more space.
  • MrsRicho
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sorry my phone played up and posted before I was ready.
    I'm looking to style the new addition so it is noticeable as a new build with square set ceilings, polished concrete (easier with all the sand) and different external material but have aspects that relate back to the older building. Such as paint colour the same, window furnishing etc.

The girls will most likely share a bedroom - I was thinking of using the one that was located linking to the winter deck as it was closer to us and away from the front of the house. It's not a big deal though as it is very quiet where we live (mainly holiday homes) and any bedroom will be fine.

Thanks again for all your help and interest. I really appreciate it.
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Love the polished concrete floors for a beach area, you mentioned that you wanted something to stand out as different from the original part of the house, that's why I suggested a shed style rectangel extension as that really is different and great looking, I had thought that it would also look great with racked ceiling and some beams along with the polished floors and timber doors etc. Perhap you would like the Japanese style of bathroom where the bath an shower share the same space.

• MrsRicho
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Sirius key - I've just realised the msg I wrote you in answer didn't post. Sorry!

Those bathrooms are the layout of what I was thinking and the third picture is actually in my Inspo folder. Good choice! Haha.
  • siriuskey
    6 years ago

I love that one as well such a wonderful use of space, great minds x

• PRO
    Vuetrade
    6 years ago

Notice you're very close to the beach, this post on our website may be of interest to you... http://vuetrade.com/blog/coastal-corrosion-protection-requirements/

• MrsRicho
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you Vuetrade. We will most definitely be making sure materials used are the right quality. Our builder has built a lot of homes in this area so he is well versed in the right materials.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.