cherylfarley1

What to do with lower ground patio and meters?

Cheryl Farley
7 years ago

We have just purchased a ground/lower ground Victorian maisonette, which comes with a small court yard on the lower ground level accessed by stairs from the street.

We would like to get rid of the stairs and turn the area into a small patio (other properties have done this on the same street) but under the main entrance to the property are gas meters and electric meters for all three flats in the building (!!!) and some other cable boxes (broadband, maybe). The area is demised to our flat but apparently this is a common issue with pre-1985 Victorian conversions?? If we remove the stairs, then there is the question of access for the other two flat owners to their meters...

Would appreciate any thoughts on how to get rid of this unsightly problem while maintaing access for the neighbours? Suggestions involving demolishing the stairs or replacing with a nicer alternative particularly welcome!

We would (probably) be willing to pay for the meters to be moved but can't think where the best place to move it is. The communal hallway is too narrow.

Photos of the exterior and the horrid meters/boxes:

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.