hzdeleted_27330420

Does a half wall make sense here?

User
7 years ago

Our bathroom is 5 x 11'. I'm thinking of stealing 6" from our 60" vanity and adding a half wall. Vanity has a single sink so we can spare it. The toilet is 36" and the shower is 34". This is the layout but with the vanity butted up against the door wall:

Larchmont waterfront 10 baths, gut restoration, kitchen, formal and casual space · More Info

Typically a half wall is used when the vanity and toilet is on one wall and the shower is opposite.

Bathrooms · More Info

I found one photo where the toilet AND the shower are behind a half wall and I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe it feels a little off because the wall bisects the room instead of it being at the far end with just the toilet. Maybe the room isn't wide enough. With 4" of wall extending past our vanity, the opening would be about 3'. Maybe it just looks crowded because this photo is so dark. We will be using white/light floor and shower tile and countertop.

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info
The advantages of a half wall is it hides the toilet a little more, the toilet
paper holder mounts on the wall instead of the vanity, moving it
forward a few inches for better reach (DH is an active 72 year old but things can change), and the outlet can move from the
wall over the toilet to the half wall, which straightens out the blow dryer cord. I think 54" is a better size for a single sink vanity. By cutting the sink base down to 24", drawers would be 15" wide, so we'd only lose an inch. We could even make the wall a 6" wide matching cabinet to store our bathroom scale on edge.

Opinions?

Comments (30)

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.