shau24

Need help for my kitchen

shau24
11 years ago
Just bought this house and anxious to get in and update it soon! I can't afford new cupboards at this time, welcoming any ideas to update the kitchen. Need some good ideas for colors and for the wood panel wall. Let me know what you think!

Comments (18)

• Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    The cabinets look mid-century modern and not so bad...Do u want to do the MCM look? If so...some sleek hardware would help...Remove curtains and valances...Paint paneling when u decide on colors...Replace ceiling fan...Are u keeping flooring?
  • zennifer
    11 years ago
    I really like the cabinets. New flooring would help, as wood new counters if you can afford them.
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    Good starter ideas. Sometimes the color scheme is as close as your everyday dishes, or your metal(?) backsplash color ( which I can't determine from photo). I'm curious about what looks to be a wooden lighting soffit over the sink? That might benefit from attention, as well.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    MCM kitchen examples..
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    You've got the basis of a really spectacular MCM kitchen. Congratulations on your new home!

I'd start with having the paneling removed and the sheetrock repaired/painted. Definitely change curtains, overhead lighting and hardware. If budget permits, you may want to change the cooktop as well. I agree with studio10001 - the lighting soffit over the sink needs attention. IMO it should be gone.

Re: colors, the pics Jayme added have a bright turquoise I think always looks good with the shade of your cabinets. I like that with an apple green as well. There's a kitchen pic around here somewhere I'll look for that has both the colors I've mentioned.

Enjoy your new kitchen!
  • PRO
    LM Designers
    11 years ago
    Paint it all. Paint the wall paneling white and the top of the wall another color. Plantation white shutters instead of curtains on the bottom half of windows for privacy. Be brave and paint the cabinets. Kits are available at Lowe's to paint the cabinets and counter tops.
  • Debbie Schlueter Eck
    11 years ago
    I would change the hardware out on cabinets, change globe design on fan and paint blades only on fan. I would also paint and remove paneling. shutters would be cute. change floor.
  • User
    11 years ago
  • shau24
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you for the ideas! I am planning on changing the flooring right away and maybe the countertops. What type of flooring would be best? Also, will take that tin backsplash off and do a tile one. Struggling with color choices. I appreciate the pictures and help!
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    This can-o-worms again, eh? Shau24, the kitchen floor debate is all over the place on DISCUSSIONS. The style you are going for-and budget- will have something to do w your choice. Once you have that settled, I'd suggest you get whatever will be longest lasting in your range...and read about everybody's favs on the 'what floor is best' threads, for a solid migraine, in the meanwhile!
  • PRO
    Baila Floors
    11 years ago
    Shauy24 - joining this thread late, but for cabinets, I would look to change the colors to something other than wood. You could do a refacing or finish to change colors. As for the flooring, tile or wood in usually looks great in a galley style kitchen, but I wouldn't pair wood with wood cabinets here.
  • Maggie Leone Glaser
    11 years ago
    If you don't want to paint the cabinets these are my suggestions:
    1. DEFINITELY get rid of the curtains. There are so very easy and cheap "no-sew" methods of window treatments on pintrest.com

2. Look to pain the wood paneling a cream color or replace it with painted bead board that can be nailed down over the top of it. It will give it a cozier feel.

3. Paint the walls a warm color and possibly replace the hardware on the cabinets. I love the older appliances, too!
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    Greens and blue-greens, beige (greige), greys and white all go well where there is lots of wood.
    Leaving the floor until after painting will mean less cleanup.
    If you have no color preference (!),let the walls wait, and find counters and floor that meld first; you can always pull a choice from them, or your window treatments.
    Make sure your flooring is recommended for wet areas.
    Shopping locally for counters and floor will make many choices for you; by the time you get those two things to look well together, your color choices will be narrowed for you.
  • studio10001
    11 years ago
    Yes, and all hail Marmoleum.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    shau24, I don't know whether you're a fan of blues or greens, but I wanted to add a pic of a kitchen with cabinets similar in tone to yours done with blue/green backsplash and a coordinating marmoleum floor. I've loved this kitchen for a long time ;-)

ECOblue kitchen · More Info

ECOblue kitchen · More Info
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.