tepeek1

board and batten or shakes?

tepeek1
7 years ago

I am trying to decide on siding for my house. We will be doing 6 or 7" horizontal white vinyl siding with accents
(probably on the dormers) in either board and batten or shakes also in white. Any suggestions?

Comments (12)

• houssaon
    7 years ago

Either would look good. This house is an off-white with white trim that frames the sections. Really handsome and not common.

Ten Shillings Way · More Info

Moving On Up · More Info

tepeek1 thanked houssaon
  • tepeek1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Funny, I was afraid to do the 7" because I thought it would be too wide...but from what I've seen online it doesn't look all that big. I am leaning toward the b&b just because although my house is already different than any around, everyone around me has shakes and I want it to be different.

• CLC
    7 years ago

I would go with B&B. It will look nice!

tepeek1 thanked CLC
  • vandammecoleen
    7 years ago
    I'm for B&B!!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

Board and Batten for most of the house.

• Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

b&b is very 'of the moment'. keep that in mind in 15 years, when its not the moment any more. i'd do a mixture.

your gables are wide, a vertical treatment would look good as they'd make them seem taller. a horizontal treatment would make them look flatter/less good. so, houssaon's first photo.

tepeek1 thanked Judy Mishkin
  • Judy Mishkin
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

yes absolutely, on a certain sort of home, in a certain sort of location... now its called 'farmhouse' and is popping up on every suburban street. they will not be of the moment when the next sort of suburban home starts popping up. just ask anyone living in a raised ranch or garrison colonial who wants to 'update' their home. and i fear that its appropriate use will be tarred as 'dated' cuz people are shallow like that.

tepeek1 thanked Judy Mishkin
  • ycity
    7 years ago
    Yes board and baton has been around forever but is super trendy now, multi million dollar spec homes around here are doing it. I love the item of mixing materials, you can do all 3? Mixing materials adds character.
    tepeek1 thanked ycity
  • keekee9
    7 years ago

Without hesitation, my vote goes to "shakes"

tepeek1 thanked keekee9
  • magalley
    6 years ago
    I am also trying to decide this. I’ve always liked the shakes but now I’m drawn to the board and batten. Shakes seem like more of a traditional look. I’m just trying to decide either up in the peaks or down low ! Good luck
  • PRO
    Get Decorated
    6 years ago

I would vote for a mixture! Board & Batten is beautiful but should also be a highlight to your home. Perhaps focus on B&B for the slanted roof accents!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.