karis123

Georgian office has become uninspiring dumping ground

Kathryn Jellis
7 years ago

I've run out of energy with renovating our listed building in Bath and the room I was initially most excited about (finally getting to have my own office) has now been left totally unfinished and my kids and husband keep dumping stuff in here.

I had this vision for it to be a beautiful gustavian office/hobby room - with the lovely desk I bought and a sofa bed and coffee table to sit on to more creative work looking out over the garden. Instead the shelves the builders put in a cupboard look horrid - way too modern and I think the bikes might always have to live in here as we have no garage or access to the garden, so if we put them in the vault in the basement they never see the light of day. It's just two small kids bikes.

So don't know if I should hold out for my vision (and banish the bikes) or create a large storage bookcase/desk where the desk is now to store the bikes, computer and some prettiness and put a door on the existing cupboard to keep the existing shelves and storage. Or rip out the shelves, put a door on the cupboard and use it for vertical bike storage and still have pretty loveliness in the rest of the room. Bit like this sort of vibe but the house isn't as ornate. Instead, all the mouldings and fireplaces are very simple in design as it's 1810 when the Georgians started wearing simple empire line dresses, not the big wigs etc.

French Library with Gustavian Clock · More Info

Also really disliking the yellow now - the rest of the house has tuned out to be filled with much more calming blues. Here's a picture of the back wall in the living room, which you walk past to get to my office. Overall it's quite an elegant simply designed house - except for this room. Arrrggg!

Should I paint my office the same colour (pale blue and white woodwork) as the room next door, or try to give it it's own personality...? Should I keep my desk or go for something built in which can also accommodate the bikes? I will be keeping the door frame and door into the room stripped pitch pine to match the rest of the house. Plus keeping the floorboards exposed as we have a dog and easier to mop, but happy to have a rug. Any ideas/inspiration hugely appreciated...

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Practicality Brown
    7 years ago

Absolutely not our area of expertise - but on a personal level, what a lovely room! I'm sure there are some wonderfully clever interior designers on Houzz that could make some suggestions - you could check out the local ones in your area and ask direct.

If it were me, I'd prefer the desk looking out towards the window and I'm sure you can do something clever with storage to incorporate the children's 'stuff' - that will be able to accommodate different things as they grow!

Good luck and enjoy making this room your very own (with some caveats!)

• Kathryn Jellis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks - would love to pay someone to design it for me but we're totally out of cash now and any money coming in needs to go towards finishing our bathroom - we're still brushing our teeth in the bath while saving up for marble for the sink countertop! I might move my desk opposite the window today and see how that feels - I don't really like sitting opposite the wall but thought it might look odd having my big computer (which I need for work) infront of the window and that it might be better for the sofa to go opposite the window so you can look out while doing calls or more creative work/meetings at the coffee table...

• PRO
    The Lighting Company
    7 years ago

Don't forget a stunning desk lamp! The Lighting Company

• londoncottage
    7 years ago
    I sympathise with the clutter situation! I too have that problem in my second bedroom...

I would recommend getting rid of the clutter to have a better look at the space - even when I look at the photo its hard to see the potential for the clutter! Haha.

Thinking about storage in the house in general may also help greatly - if things are getting 'dumped' in here, do you have enough storage? Or is it time for a clear out...?

Is it also right for the bikes to be in that room? Think about how often they are used and how they are taken out - is it difficult? Does it scuff any walls when you do it? Any annoyance in the answer to the questions above would indicate the study is not an appropriate place.
    Kathryn Jellis thanked londoncottage
  • Kathryn Jellis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi - I've cleared the room so many times but every time it gets filled up again. Last month we finally emptied out all our storage units with old furniture from our old house. Most of which lived in her until it got sold! Before that it was a dumping ground for building materials. This and the living room are the only rooms on the ground floor, so really easy to get the bikes out from here - anywhere else and they would scuff walls as we've got a narrow stone cantilevered stair case which is beautiful but really hard to carry stuff up and down. The garden is also down a flight of stairs so if we want to use the bikes regularly I think they have to live here - no space in the entryway which is just the width of the front door. I don't want them in the living room! We do use them a lot, there's a beautiful park opposite and both girls are learning to ride. I will try to clear out the room this weekend and get some more photos but suspect this room is the solution to our storage issues. I'm also going to banish shoes back to the living room. They were in baskets under a console in there until I moved everything in here for the Christmas tree! It's lovely having the space now the tree has gone but I think shoes work better in the living room and that will stop coats being dumped in here. If I see them in the living room I hang them up by the front door - they just get left in here!

• A B
    7 years ago

It looks like your office comes off the hall? If I was you I'd have a large cupboard built where the desk is now that would house all bikes, shoes and coats. I'd then move the desk in front of the window and declutter. I'm sure as you use the room you will be inspired about rugs, furniture and paint colours it's such a beautiful room (and what a luxury for it to be all yours!)

Kathryn Jellis thanked A B
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi. I agree with Jen. It also doesn't look like the bikes would fit where the shelves are? Another option with Jen's idea is to put the desk opposite the window and have some form of upholstered bench under the window. If the desk does go under the window I'd probably just add a chair rather than a sofa otherwise I think it's going to get crowded. If you didn't want a cupboard you could hang bikes on the wall on top of your desk so they're not in plain view.. I think I'd put a door on the shelves. A colour you may like which should go with your hall and living room is little Greene pearl colour which is actually a Georgian colour as shown in the first pic

Kathryn Jellis thanked minnie101
  • Kathryn Jellis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Everyone

I've finally managed to banish the clutter and have been playing with desk/seating options. Option A has the desk facing into the room leaving space for two chairs and a glass coffee table opposite the widow. It gives the room an nice open feel but makes you feel a bit like an office receptionist! Option B has the desk in front of the widow - it won't push right up as it as the radiator is in the way. It does feel nice to have a view but it feels too cramped to put seats behind the desk, so the only space is in the corner. You could even fit a sofa in that corner, but it's not as inviting as having the seating opposite the window. Overall I think Option A suits the room best, but Option B might be a bit nicer for me to work by the window. Let me know what you'd do?

Option A: office reception layout!

Option B: desk infront of window

I also played about with the desk in front of the fireplace etc but room felt really unbalanced so think the options above are the best two choices...

Once I've decided on location, next thing is to decide whether to put a door over the cupboard or pretty it up to have a mini library or little stacks of books and ornaments... I'm also going to try stripping the fireplace to get it back to the original bath stone.

• londoncottage
    7 years ago
    That looks great! Love the option with the desk at the window - a small sofa nearby would be an excellent option too
    Kathryn Jellis thanked londoncottage
  • obobble
    7 years ago
    Have you considered having the desk facing/ against the wall opposite the window with a huge mirror behind it. If you put a sofa against the wall by the door, you would be able to see the garden view in the mirror from wherever you sit in the room. Only drawback would be the reflection of the back of the computer but you might be able to strategically place it so it's not a problem.
    Kathryn Jellis thanked obobble
  • Kathryn Jellis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi - I did try the desk on that wall (opposite window) but it's only 60cm deep on that side of the fireplace so the desk and chair would cover the fireplace and makes the room look a bit cramped. Was thinking I might be able to leave the chairs opposite the window and fit a slim bookcase in the dark corner to place the desk in front of it, like these shots... although I might have to get a smaller desk to fit it all in! I've got the desk positioned there now and it's nice, you can see all round the room and still see out the window (although view at the back isn't anything to write home about as you just see the back of another tall georgian building. I'm trying to climb white roses up it from our courtyard garden which will be pretty in the spring/summer)

Also great idea about putting a mirror opposite the widow, I was going to put one over the fireplace but it would definitely make the room bigger/brighter opposite window. Just means I can't centre it on that wall which is a shame, the lack of symmetry in this room is driving me mad! I love things to look balanced!!!

• PRO
    Kalabas Interiors
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Karis,

Beautiful space for an office. The wooden floor looks great and the images that you are using as a source of inspiration are on point.

Would it not be wonderful to have the whole space only for office? Add a sofa for a luxurious feeling, place the desk where the natural light can be used as this is a much healthier and cost effective method.

Do you have any outdoor space to spare?

For a more economical option there is also outdoor tent storage options:

If you would like additional help with your office design, colour scheme, layout do contact me. We can work something out.

Good luck with your design journey.

• PRO
    Around The House Furniture
    7 years ago

hi Karis,

what a difference a good clear out makes! i personally like option A - as much as I'd love a view out the window, i think it being next to the shelves in the corner makes it look crammed in and the chairs don't look quite right where they are either. I think it flows a lot better with layout A.

Im never a fan of yellowy/cream paint so i think the blue you've used in the other parts of the house would look beautiful and make it look a lot lighter!

good luck with keeping everyone banned from your office space :) x

Kathryn Jellis thanked Around The House Furniture
  • Kathryn Jellis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks - I can't wait to paint the walls next! Would you put a door on the cupboard or try to fill it with pretty things... Not sure if it should be blanked out to match the wall or if I can still make a feature of it...?

• strawberry47
    7 years ago
    Option A works well as your eyes focus on the lovely fireplace and chairs. Any clutter that gathers in the desk isn't too obvious form the doorway. An alternative to having doors on the built in bookcase is to clear most of the everyday essentials from it and place these on a small bookcase next to the desk chair on the hall wall. That way you can use the built in bookcase as an opportunity to add some decorative items.
    Kathryn Jellis thanked strawberry47
  • Kittihawke
    7 years ago
    Hi karis, what did you end up doing with the bikes?
  • Kathryn Jellis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi everyone - thanks for all the ideas. I'm still so torn on desk position. It does feel nice working under the window with the natural light but the room just looks off kilter compared to when there was a clear view to the fireplace etc. The bikes have been banished! We only use them at the weekend so during the week they're kept downstairs in the boot room (which is so cold we don't actually keep boots in it!) and at the weekend they live in my husbands van which we park next to the park (as he doesn't use it at the weekend). Seems to be working so far and I'm hoping he can get a garage by the park for his tools and the bike which would be great!

• PRO
    Around The House Furniture
    7 years ago

Hi Karis, I personally would have it covered but purely because I couldn't be trusted to keep it neat and pretty - it would end up crammed full of files and folders. I think you probably could make it practical and pretty by buying some nice complementing boxes and pretty stationary that fits in well and keeping it de-cluttered - but it depends on how practical that would be for you :) x

• PRO
    ig. design & interiors
    7 years ago

Hi Karis, It would be good to see a plan of the room as the photos can distort perspective a little. I agree with you, the room does look a little off kilter. It's too heavy to the right of the fireplace -to balance it out you need something to the left (of the fireplace).- reflecting the height and width of the bookcase. One way you could achieve this is by using paintings or some kind of wall art above and slightly behind a chair. (small relaxing arm/reading chair would be ideal. A floor light in this corner even, if its only a plug in floor spot light will make a difference.

Option A will also feel a little more balanced, but also a very tiny bit like the reception of some private practice. If the desk isn't too big, can you try turning the desk slightly diagonally into the room? Alternatively, position the desk where you had it originally and create a picture wall full of all the photos you love behind it (on the door wall). You will also need either a desk light either positioned on the desk or on the wall to give you the lighting you need, making your desk a pleasant place to work at.

Hope this helps, please keep us posted. Annika

Kathryn Jellis thanked ig. design & interiors
  • PRO
    JAMEITE Hand-painted Silk Wallpaper Co., LTD
    7 years ago

Use handmade wallpaper should be very tasty。www.jameite.com

Kathryn Jellis thanked JAMEITE Hand-painted Silk Wallpaper Co., LTD
  • Kathryn Jellis
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Everyone - here’s the after photos... after all that angsting I gave up making it an office and turned it into a playroom! All their toys and shoes fit! Bikes are on the wall and they even have their piano, toy kitchen and dressing up clothes which has tidied up the rest of the house no end. It’s a lovely space now that we all really enjoy and pale green walls make it look much brighter than the yellow. I guess the moral is if a room wants to do its own thing (kids storage) let it! My office is now in a room that was going to be a shower room and shower over the bath instead.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.