eloise_trippier

Carrara Marble Worktoos

Eloise Trippier
7 years ago
Hello, the lovely people at the stone mason's assure me that I MUST NOT get Carrara marble worktops in the kitchen. Does anyone have them? Can you splash red wine on them when you slam your glass down laughing at a hilarious pre-dinner joke

Comments (5)

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    Highly polished marble is not too porous so as long as you wipe up spills it should not be a problem.
    If you prefer a softer look then you might choose unpolished marble- this will still be sealed but it will mark easily and it will chip- this gives a country look (think chic Italian farmhouse). If you want a product that will maintain its original pristine look then choose Silestone or similar.
  • PRO
    Cheshire Kitchens & Bedrooms
    7 years ago

I would suggest considering Silestone as suggested above. It is a non-porous material and is harder wearing than marble. They do a number of colours similar to Carrara Marble, Lyra is one that we have seen recently. They also do a polished option and a textured option called suede.

It is about how you will use your kitchen and which material suites that best. If you could get hold of a sample to test with this could help with your decision.

Some additional information on Silestone - http://www.silestone.co.uk/what-is-silestone/

Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Impala Stone Ltd
    7 years ago

Marble is a soft & porous material so for heavy use in a kitchen it can be quite high maintenance. Its not to say we haven't put marble into kitchens, but you have to really look after it and be careful what you put on it as it can scratch and mark easily. The marble like look is really in at the moment so there are a huge amount of Quartz options that are easy to look after but give the look of marble. Here are some examples:

Caesarstone Calacatta Nuvo

Dekton Aura

Silestone Helix

Technistone Noble Carrara

This is just a handful of colour options, as suggested Silestone offer huge range but so do many other quartz brands too.
    Hope this is off some help!

• PRO
    Gordon Greaves (Slate) Ltd
    7 years ago

Afternoon, we do a lot of Bar tops in Carrara both polished & honed so you can imagine the abuse they get & we have not had any comebacks, Marble is more porous than granite but as long as you wipe the spillage straight away you shouldn't have any problems.

• Eloise Trippier
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you all for the insight, I am most grateful.
Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.