rohan_hegde

Does this type of extension need special permissions from council?

Rohan Hegde
7 years ago
I live in a mid terraced house with neighbours on either side just like in this image. If I were to get an extension like this, would this need permission of some sort from the council and the neighbours? As I am aware that extensions are not meant to block out light to the neighbours windows as per building regulations...
Single storey rear extension in Surbiton · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    VORBILD Architecture
    7 years ago

@ Rohan Hegde : Yes of course you need a permission, if you own the whole property its a householder permission or you can benefit from permitted development but still need to apply for it on paper, or if you just own the ground floor flat, you need a full planning permission and ask your fellow freeholders.

Let me know if you need more details or assistance.

• Justin Eames
    7 years ago
    What's living in flats got to do with this question?

Permitted development needs building regs, but not planning permission.

Looks great, good luck!
  • PRO
    VORBILD Architecture
    7 years ago

@ Justin Eames : You need a Lawful Certificate to have your permitted development rights confirmed on paper. All building work need building regulations approval by the way.

• Rohan Hegde
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks guys! I own the terraced house. The whole house and not just the ground floor..
    Thanks for the info..will look into those required permissions!
    Much appreciated!:)
    Rohan...
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.