edwardaston

Need help with inglenook fireplace

edwardaston
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I have recently purchased a property built in 1904 that needs fully renovating. My main dilemma is what to do with the feature fire surround in the main living room. Obviously its a fantastic period feature but isn't really to our taste as it is. What do you think, should we put in a new fire and restore it as is, maybe paint it or remove sections? Any suggestion / ideas / similar photos greatly received.

Comments (38)

• Jonathan
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I love to see this but like you I wouldn't want to accommodate it in my house.

I think that the chairs are redundant and so I would remove them. Then you have three choices: to keep the period feature, to keep but update with a modern cool paint choice or to rip it out and start again.

Personally I would try to open up the wall above the beam to better enjoy the archway and to make the fireplace feel more open. I would replace the fireplace with a stone alternative- and choose something simple

• Daisy England
    7 years ago
    If it isn't to your taste there's no point keeping it just for the sake of it. It's not to my taste either. It would have to go.
  • Related Discussions

need advice sitting room will i change fireplace and mirror to white and what walpaper at wall over fire pla

Q

Comments (4)
    shelly12345...not sure if you have completed your fireplace/room, just saw this post while looking for help with my own family room. I think would paint the fireplace and mirror white...would match the trim work of your room and your lighter furnishings. Something that was suggested to me...use some fabric or poster board to cover the wood on both, just to give you an idea of what it would look like white. That way you are not committed once the paint has been applied to the wood. I love Dytectur's idea of wallpapering the room and having the fireplace wall white. Would really pop! Good luck and post pictures if your finished or when you finish.
    ...See More

Help with fireplace

Q

Comments (2)
    Actually I managed to find a stockist of chalk paint which is fantastic as it needs no sanding, no primer just straight on to the marble, and made a start on it tonight, I didn't think to take a picture before hand, but I will post a pic after :-)
    ...See More

Need help with my L Shaped Living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi. The picture hasn't attached.
    ...See More

Fireplace Help

Q

Comments (5)
    If you want the look of the fireplace you posted but are scared that the dark grey will flood your room, you could paint just the one panel/side wall with the grey, paint the fireplace frame white, and then paint the rest of the room a more light neutral colour. It will also create a more contemporary look and create more focus to your fireplace. Alternatively you may feel more safe to paint the fireplace frame a neutral colour to match the neutral walls. When you are ready to replace the fireplace, I would suggest a bio ethanol burner as a simple solution with minimal DIY work and an option of different styles. Good luck, and please feel free to visit our profile if you're in need of more fireplace inspiration!
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    7 years ago

Hi edwardaston,

Our dedicated team would like help you with any bespoke furniture project!

September 2016 Bespoke Furniture project (1) · More Info

Bespoke kitchen 2016 · More Info

Feel free to contact us directly if you need any help !

http://www.kitchenwardrobe.com/contact

Regards,

A&S Kitchen Wardrobe

• cjc77
    7 years ago
    Wow I think I would buy a property because I would have to have that fireplace!

It looks like your property has plenty of space. Have you had chance to experience a winter in it yet? That fireplace might end up being a fab addition but maybe modernise it. Yes it's dark and dated, but a brighter modern version with books on one wall to create your own cosy winter library nook would be lovely. If you have lived with it from a practical view rather than design view and still not fussed, then agree it should go (*clasps chest in shock*)
  • Lynn Robbo
    7 years ago
    Love the space, don't like the actual fire, I would have a log / coal burning fire, seating just needs updating maybe something big and cosy, x
  • Lynn Robbo
    7 years ago
    Hi looks like its framed I'd remove all the dark wood from the surround including the ceiling x
  • edwardaston
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi, thanks for all your help so far. I will try and take some better pictures next week, the one I have included was the best I had but is obviously a bit dark.

• Lauren
    7 years ago
    I pretty much second what Minnie says.

Personally I would opt to paint all the wood and open up the fireplace again so you can either have a fire basket or log burner.

I do quite like the seats either side but I don't think they're absolutely necessary. Club chairs either side would be more flexible and look good too.
  • Lauren
    7 years ago
    Also lightened up your original pic -
  • Lauren
    7 years ago
    Sorry - brighter pic
  • Lisa Burdett
    7 years ago
    That's a fantastic feature in your home. I would definitely keep it and paint it. If you change it your house will be like everyone else's!
  • User
    7 years ago

As Lisa says, a fantastic feature! Please, please don't rip it out, something like this makes your house unique. The fire of course is a later addition and should go as it adds nothing. I would consider painting it if you feel it is too dark, that way you (or next owner) can always restore it ti the original if you decide to later, whereas removing it is pretty permanent! Maybe look at Arts and Craft movement colours like sage green or blue/green but creamy white would be fine too.

• PRO
    DAG Inter ltd
    7 years ago

Wow, It looks a nice area already but if you want to change the theme introduce backlit onyx and marbles to compliment the lovely area space you already have.

annette

• Dundrum 16
    7 years ago
    Lauren's bright pics make all the difference. I'd try to capture some of the ambiance of minnie101's first pic. As someone else said, once you rip it out, there's no going back.
  • Joanna Biddolph
    7 years ago

Oooh! I would keep it! It's a fantastic spot for curling up and reading a book. I'd make it much lighter though I'm not sure I'd paint the wood; I'd definitely reupholster the seats in a lighter, fun fabric - probably geometric so it doesn't look like a cliche. I'd replace the fire with a more traditional one set in the space behind - or remove it and make a feature of the gap. I think you could have a lot of fun with it.

• craftycountess
    7 years ago
    What a beautiful feature in what I'm sure is a stunning house. I would certainly keep it as its a real Arts and Crafts feature. Painting it cream would bring it up to the present and opening up the fire itself would make it look much better. Certainly worth trying before deciding to remove it altogether.
  • 1973yvonne
    7 years ago

It is truly amazing but if it's not doing it for you I would sell it to an antique dealer/restorer who will remove it with a minimum of damage, and then start with something you really like. I've spent four years staring at a fireplace that didn't do it for me and then I had it ripped out and built an inglenook! It's cost nearly £10k and had I seen yours I would have offered a decent sum to have it dismantled and then reinstalled in my place. Good luck with whatever you decide - it's a wonderful dilemma.

• edwardaston
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks again for all the advice, I'm going to try and convince my wife we should keep it but will have to lighten it up some how. Here's a picture of the house, not completing for a couple of weeks so looking forward to getting started on bringing it back to its former beauty, its in a mess at the minute!
  • craftycountess
    7 years ago

Wish you well with your project - it's a beautiful property.

• User
    7 years ago

beautiful house. I hope it has lots of original features? All the best in convincing your wife about the fireplace. Remember, original features add value!

• Joanna Biddolph
    7 years ago

Fabulous house! I wish you well and hope your renovations go well and that it is all you want it to be.

• 1973yvonne
    7 years ago

fabulous home. try a strip of concealed spotlights inside the fireplace above seating area to brighten it up and by using dimmer switches you can control the mood.

• PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    7 years ago

You have a fantastic fireplace arrangement, but it needs to be lightened up. There is a similar arrangement in Blackwell Hall, Cumbria. Before removing anything except the gas fire, try painting all the woodwork in white. I would be a shame to destroy such a fabulous Art Deco feature. http://www.blackwell.org.uk/event/house-tour-8

• Alexandra Newton
    7 years ago
    Don't remove the inglenook/fire surround. Get rid of horrid 80's gas fire and open up chimney for real fire. If you want to paint the wood (hard to see but suspect nice arts n crafts design) I'd go and see amazing inglenook fireplace in the white room at Blackwell house (Bowness on Windermere) for inspiration . Although 100 yrs old the room has a light and very contemporary feel to it.
  • Marie Wright
    7 years ago

Wow, what a fantastic feature. Just paint it a lighter colour and ditch the gas fire and have an open fire. Certainly don't remove it.

• PRO
    Integreatplus/Architect
    7 years ago

Hello, my suggestion would be to go for a cosy Scandinavian feel. Originally this fireplace must have been very 'arts and crafts' inspired, so going back to basics, and including Scandinavian simplicity and cosyness.

Firstly replace the fire with a log burning/multi fuel stove - an open fire may be just too hot to sit so close to. The rethink the area with pastel greys and blues on the woodwork, perhaps some interesting simply decorated tiles behind the stove. Recover the seats in a pale wool blend fabric. I think that you can't really have a hearth, and places for feet, so you need to create a base where the hearth would have been - maybe a dark grey slate, which is not raised. Maybe a big log basket at the side of the seats.

A frieze at the band at the top of the seats would look good if done correctly, even wallpaper might be effective and also link the whole inglenook together. The mirrors look too fussy, and need to be replaced with one large simple mirror. I can't see exactly what the leaded light window panels are like?

I don't want to repeat useful advice from others, but lighting is critical, and has already been mentioned.

Hope this is helpful and not too late.

• PRO
    Stonehouse UK
    7 years ago

What a great space you have to design a bespoke fire place. Depending on your design ideas for the rest of the room I would go for something in a lighter coloured stone, say a Bath stone which compliments most colour schemes.

• PRO
    Rudloe
    7 years ago

Wow! This is an amazing feature, but I understand why it wouldn't be to everyones taste. Our personal take on it would be to remove everything and put a cuddle chair either side. remove the gas fire and open up to suit either an open fire or, for better efficiency, a wood-burning stove (Clearview Stoves do some excellent models). We would then recommend a stone fireplace to finish the look - cast stone offers the same look but at a much lower price. Below is the Rudloe Frazier, which would suit this area very well:

• edwardaston
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The rest of the house is nearly restored and we are down to one of the final stalling points, what to do with the main fireplace.

I've attached some better photos.

Since taking them I have made a start on stripping it back. I've removed all the old fabric from one of the chairs and sanded a section back. The dark finish is not ingrained in the wood so sands of relatively easily. I'm thinking I may as well have a go at painting it before my wife makes me take it out!

Its not the main living room so we won't be using the room very often. Therefore I don't think it matters that it's not really practical.
  • 1973yvonne
    6 years ago

it's a beautiful feature and it would be a shame to lose the character - it just needs an open fire and/or wood burning stove. There are some lovely contemporary ones on the market. Strategic lighting, and much lighter wood and upholstery.

• User
    6 years ago

Absolutely worth a try painting it- something like this? Obviously it is not identical to yours but the idea is the same.

• User
    6 years ago

sorry pics don't seem to have loaded!

• User
    6 years ago
    I would keep it. Will look amazing when painted light colour and chairs re upholstered and a new stove.
  • User
    6 years ago

• special morning
    6 years ago
    I absolutely love it. Are you going to loose the gas fire thing though?

The national trust properties of Standen and Wightwick Manor have some features like this used in their original way.
  • Lauren
    6 years ago

Don't forget - you don't have to paint or strip everything. You could easily paint some areas and leave others to change the proportion of light to dark.

I like the idea of stripping the fireplace then using a milky wax finish to match your floors, then you could leave the bench seating dark and paint the rest to blend in with your walls.

• J H
    3 years ago

Hi - would it be possible to see a finished photo. I have something very similar in my property and struggling to know what to do with it

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.