campo73

Furniture layout open plan kitchen

Helen C
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Finally getting round to buying furniture for our new house a year after we moved in! Wanted to canvas opinions on the attached layout of sofa, dining table, sideboard, tv and room divider (situated behind the sofa). The kitchen is fixed as it's already installed but everything else is up for discussion! Thanks

Comments (133)

• Carolina
    7 years ago
    Who knows? I'm hoping this comment will end up on this thread, but one just can't be sure :-)
    I just checked out the Neri & Hu tables. Nearly choked in my drink when I saw the price. Then my husband reminded me that our coffee table was around that price too. I will never put my feet up on it again! But the Neri & Hu ones are lovely. I just think that for me somehow they aren't distinctive looking enough to justify the price. Personal choice.
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I've missed a lot this afternoon! Will try and catch up now! Minnie is that Mamounia rug in westelm? I found one with the same name at the rug company and couldn't believe the price! Dogs and children and rugs which cost £1.6k per m2 just don't mix well with my OCD tendencies :). If it's the same one it is absolutely stunning. I'm thinking of hanging the painting on the back wall on its own and then placing a sideboard behind the sofa. Carolins thank you for the mood board, I've made a few sad attempts to create a mood board myself but haven't managed to achieve it so it's great to see all the elements together. I love that first light too. The only pendants I have are over the island unit, ebb and flow platinum strip. So I need a pendant over the dining table and then floor lamps or I quite like wall lights which are plugged in the wall socket. I'm not sure on the rugs, I don't think I'm a rug person! It could take me another year to pick a rug! Re the coffee table I like the idea of either a black table or walnut, not sure which is best- to reflect the black of the dining table in the living area, would this look ok near the island unit which is also dark? Or will walnut blend better with the kitchen table? Hopefully that's me caught up with the chat, feel like I've just written an English essay!
  • Related Discussions

Need advice on zoning and furniture placement in open plan living area

Q

Comments (4)
    Other Houzzers are great at furniture placement, but I wanted to note that you really should have seating facing the fireplace and/or the t.v.
    ...See More

Open Plan Kitchen \ Living Design Advice

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, We're looking for some design options for a house we are planning to buy. We love the house location but the kitchen \ living area is proving to be a bit of a dilemma. There is a lot of glass in the kitchen area with full length windows to the front and rear which limits the options for layouts. We had a kitchen design prepared but are unsure if this really makes the best use of the space - it includes a corner dining area which while using the space feels a bit cramped for a family of 5. Due to the door position into the kitchen the builders design looks odd as they have placed the kitchen table right in line of sight of the front door so placing the table there seems a no no. We want to have an island in the kitchen ( its plumbed etc for one ) which we can have up to 5 high seats around which is in the design. We would like to have a TV in the room ( again limited places to put one on the walls due to the glass ) and would like some suggestions on layouts there also ( maybe the TV has to go ! ) - without something that completely blocks the access to the rear doors. Any thoughts gratefully received !
    ...See More

Open plan layout

Q

Comments (0)
    We have purchased this house & knocked a few walls & added extension at the back,we are trying to find the best layout for the kitchen dining living area on the left,the sun rises at the front & sets at the back & there is some nice views to the back,any suggestions or advice greatly appreciated?
    ...See More

Open Plan advice

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, renovating an old house and building a new extension on (new part in green). Struggling to design the open plan layout. We want the kitchen near the utility and will be changing the sliding doors to the back of the house and it will make sense for where our patio area will be. Any ideas? Thanks
    ...See More
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Carolina have you changed your user name or has my autocorrect constantly been changing your username to Carolins? Sorry!
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi jenniimatthews the worktop is silestone lagoon, lovely and would highly recommend.
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hmm yes I think you're right Carolina, the neri & hu tables are very simplistic, that's probably why I like them but I suppose it's hard to justify the price. Going to have another look now at coffee table options and accent swivel chair and post back.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Yep, changed my user name to my real name :-)

Happy to put items in the moodboard, so just let me know what you'd like to see in there. I'll be back tomorrow.
  • PRO
    Dub M
    7 years ago
    Campo your kitchen is beautiful....can I jump in and ask how you're planning to dress all the glass at the back for privacy/cosines?im having this dilemma at moment deciding between vertical blinds vs sheer panels vs rollers so curious what you're planning as I've a similar space!
  • Carolina
    7 years ago

Had some fun playing around with different options :-) I know you said you're not a rug person, but I think it needs a bit of softness so I did put in another flat weave (John Lewis)

• minnie101
    7 years ago

The art really pulls it together. I quite like these tables too (love their trays and mirrors too!)

http://www.notremonde.com/product-detail/20700

campo, yes that rug is from the rug company, it's a tad pricey! I like the neri and hu tables as like the idea of something that interlocks (or kind of!) plus the materials used. I think it would be nice to pick up some more walnut, perhaps the sideboard?

i agree with Carolina, I think you'll need a rug for texture and zoning

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Carolina I've seen that rug online and it's absolutely my taste. Great to see it next to the sofa. I was just concerned about whether it's big enough, my sofa is 2.96mx2.72, photo of configuration attached. I think that rug is 240x170, it might just be ok? Is it the Amreli rug in grey?
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh yes Minnie those tables are gorgeous, my window and door handles are real bronze so they would tie in nicely.
  • PRO
    Helen Manuel
    7 years ago

Thats nice

• Carolina
    7 years ago

I really like those tables and yes, it's the grey Amreli rug.

Not good with numbers, so don't know whether the rug will be big enough. I like a generous rug, so one that goes under the front feet, although sometimes it's nice to have a rug just in front. Hmm....

• minnie101
    7 years ago

I've got no idea of the cost (and suspect a big ouch) but this is rather nice. There's also a nice geometric one on there

http://rupertbevan.com/furniture/cabinets/charcoal-vellum-sideboard/

• Carolina
    7 years ago

That's really lovely

• Carolina
    7 years ago

Swoon Editions have a good looking selection of sideboards too

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Love love love those bronze tables Minnie, Carolina thank you for putting them in the mood board. Love the sideboard too, I saw one a few months ago online (book matched walnut) but I can't find it now. I already have a mid century sideboard-I know that's not the style I'm going for but surprisingly it looked quite good with the chairs and painting when I put them together at the weekend. I think I'm quite fond of adding a couple of old pieces into the mix, 80% new, 20% old to add a bit of character. What do you think? This is the sideboard- sorry about the photo, I took it at the auction, the same auction I missed out on a set of tables and chairs which sold for £300 and I subsequently found out were worth about £4K!!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

That was actually going to be my other suggestion as I think it would work really well in terms of the table and chairs plus the character. I was going to suggest looking on the old cinema but there's no need! How annoying re the table and chairs! A slight change of style for rug but have you thought about something in an ombré design or slightly abstract. There's a few I like on here which might give a nod to the painting? I really like the blue/green ones but am wondering what they'd look like with the island. It's quite fun shopping for you :)

https://www.houseology.com/twilight-rug-sea-mist

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Your last comment made me giggle Minnie, I do feel like we are out on a shopping trip today, we may as well be down Tottenham Court Road popping in westelm or heals for a nosey! I love that rug too, not so sure on the price. I think I don't mind spending on furniture but accessories like rugs and cushions I would get bored of, plus they need to be renewed more frequently with the kids and dog wrecking them! Re the bronze tables do you think I just email them to find out the price?
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh my I've just seen the notre monde trays, they are gorgeous.
  • Carolina
    7 years ago

I used another sideboard, slightly lighter in colour I think, but same shape. It's coming together I think. Love that rug that Minnie found. It's more luxurious looking than the dhurrie/kilim type rugs (which I like too). Not sure if there's a bit too much 'cloudy' going on now though, with the rug and the tables.

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Lol, that would be fun with a little stop off for "refreshments"! Hmm, I did wonder if you'd want to spend that much on a rug with the dog, probably sensible to go for something cheaper,. The tables are on both Amara and 4living, i think Amara might have been cheaper as they were sold as a pair. I know the trays were beautiful, I was trying to think where I could put one!

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Out on a dog walk ladies will be back on later :)
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Oh no, I think that rug looks rather lovely and the colours go so well with the kitchen :( Carolina, I totally understand what you're saying re the clouds but I think I actually really like it. Maybe the clouds could be broken up by a couple of patterned cushions? Mind you, it wasn't cheap though!

• Carolina
    7 years ago

Don't forget the cushion-demolishing-dog ;-)

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here he is, the mischievous little mite, do you think he will fit into my scheme, shall we put him on the mood board to see?! Look at that toy he's got, all ripped to pieces, my last cushion had to be thrown out last week as it suffered the same fate!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Lol, he looks cute. I love dogs that smile! Cushions might be out then but I think the dog can stay!

• Carolina
    7 years ago

How about this one or this one. Somewhat cheaper. Same style, less dramatic though.

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh my goodness you actually managed to put the dog on the mood board!! That's just fantastic, has made my day! I like the second rug, I think it's the lighter grey undertones that draw me to it. Where is it from?
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sorry just seen the link, thanks!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Omg, lol!! I like the second one too, I think you're going to need to go big, 200x280? I think the earliest one would fit the sofa but not a round table? I need to do the maths properly though

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Is there a rug size formula Minnie, who would have thought! I have no clue on rug sizes at all.
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Can't believe the dog got sitting on my sofa before it was even delivered!!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

There is for beds, not sure about sofas as they come in so many different sizes but will have a look. As Carolina said earlier ideally I'd go for all front feet sat on the rug by probably 6-12 inches. Then probably 45cm for coffee table gaps on both sides. I need paper and pen my brain can no longer do any sums. I know, I'm waiting for him to appear elsewhere in the room now :)

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    That's very helpful, I'll have a go at the sums later. Don't say that Minnie, he's too small to get up onto the table thankfully but if he takes a fancy to my Belleville fabric chairs I'll go nuts! Even 'virtual Jude' sat on one might send me crazy!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Omg, can you imagine?! Is he named after Jude Law?!

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh yes indeed Minnie, I think you know me well. The rather tasty Jude Law prior to his receding hairline!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Lol! My husband despairs of me as I've watched The Holiday so many times!

• PRO
    Couch Potato Company
    7 years ago

For rug ideas, also check out these Kasthall flat-woven rugs. We love the Goose Eye Icons!

http://www.couchpotatocompany.com/collections/kasthall

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    George just popped by with a bunch of flowers. He's such a sweety! Hope we don't get into trouble with Houzz, are there any rules about not chatting up pro's on this forum?!
  • Carolina
    7 years ago
    Haha
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Lol! They may need to introduce one :)

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Indeed that might be sensible! Well Jude isn't a pro so maybe we should just stick to chatting him up :)
  • Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oneplan I think that's because everyone respects you for your professional prowess :) anyway, first silly comment of the day, whilst googling some images George popped up again and you'll never guess what, he was born on the same day as me!! I knew I had a connection!! Unfortunately he's slightly younger than me but only slightly!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi campo. Just switched the tv on and Jude popped up on the Young Pope so thought of you! Has the furniture turned up and if so do you have pics?!

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Jude as the pope, brilliant!! I got my sofa last week and the Belleville chairs are arriving on Tuesday. Hopefully will be getting the dining table too but waiting to hear whether it was in the delivery to the shop. Super excited about getting the chairs though! Going to buy rug, coffee table and accessories in the new year and then I'll post photos. Just watching house of the year on C4 wishing it was presented by gorgeous George!
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I haven't actually watched it yet, it's just been recording for however many weeks! Are you pleased with the sofa?! Sounds exciting, can't wait to see the pics! Lol, what are you like!

• Helen C
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It's the final tonight, just watch that one and you'll save yourself hours of tv catch-up! Yes I'm pleased with the sofa, size and material are good and the covers zip off to wash them which I didn't realise when I ordered it. Handy with the crazy dog rolling all over it! Did you progress with your exterior paint colour?
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

I might get overruled on that one! (Although my husband is obviously wanting to watch it for different reasons!). I'm pleased that you're happy with it! That's great that they're washable, so handy, and that the dog likes it!! No Xmas took over... I need to look at it urgently as damp has now appeared in one room, I feel like I've cursed it :( we went to Bruges last week and I admired numerous houses, as you do (!), and I'm now thinking of slightly less traditional colours.... I just can't make my mind up, i wish whoever hadn't rendered it in the first place as it would be so much easier!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.