ncgraciemay

ncgraciemay
12 years ago
This is the kitchen of a great time capsule atomic ranch that i am buying. The kitchen is amazing; counters in great condition and all the appliances still work! I'm keeping everything except the horrific carpet. But what to replace it with? There is too much wood to go with wood flooring. It is a very large area, so it can't be anything too busy. I'm leaning toward vinyl or linoleum tile squares and a retro pattern if i can figure one out, but don't know what colors to use. Anyone have ideas, or an alternative? Budget IS an issue, by the way. And while we're at it, what kind of chairs should i put at that breakfast bar?

Comments (121)

• itgirl
    12 years ago
    I love your kitchen and I do like the carpet too, although its hard to keep carpet in a kitchen. My advice would be to live in it for a while before you tear anything out. I have a time capsule ranch too, and I shudder to think of all of the beautiful things we were going to tear out before we moved in. Your house is beautiful. Whatever you do, take good care of those counter tops. It would be difficult to replace those
  • jmle
    12 years ago
    i used the individual inexpensive VCT vinyl tiles from Armstrong. The bulk of them are a party muticolored tile with some aqua tile and orange tile interspersed..Looks very retro in my small kitchen.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with my living room

Q

Comments (19)
    That wall paper doesn't go at all.. and you don't need wallpapers.. how about a cream shade on the fireplace part of wall with oxblood coloured (from your curtain flowers) horizontal band below mantel, while the rest of the walls be lilac? Ever considered stoenwork similar to your fireplace on that wall? Also lower the hung photographs.. should be at least four inches below the windows' top edge.. Your sofas are quite dark. they seem aubergine.. is there any way you can at least place one of the sofas across from a window so that light falls on it? right now it is in the shadows backed against the windows, therefore more dark (does it seem so when you're in the room too?) The mirror (though nice) is too solid and thick for the mantel. can it go on a clearer stretch of some wall? fourth wall? What is the fourth wall like? idk how the fourth wall is like but how about angling large sofa at 90 degrees to the window with the single seater also angled in the corner where the lamp is.. and place the side table with lamp infront of the window (i-e at the corner of the 'L' made by t he sofas).. If possible get lighter lamp shades (cream).. Love the cushions.. place two of these cushions on the single seater to relieve the large sofa.. Please turn the rug lengthwise along the length of the sofa.. get a glass/metal table (if tots allow) or cream ottomon as center table.. The TV is too large for the rack, no? The vase is being wasted under the tv.. Florals and stripes can be mixed depending on print.. but if you bring anymore florals in this room, it would be best to match the flower shape to those in the curtains. I find the curtains too short...
    ...See More

help bedroom

Q

Comments (3)
    ok..could you post a picture of the room?.I think people would be better able to help.
    ...See More

Advice on Kitchen/Utility renovation

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi - its such a big and important project, i really think you need to sit down with a good kitchen designer and fully tease out your requirements and then look at every possible layout option. by sitting down with someone, they will draw each possible layout to scale in front of you and that way you will be able to see the pros and cons of each design. it makes decision making much easier best of luck with the project Barry
    ...See More

black countertops in a white kitchen

Q

Comments (0)
    We need some wall color inspirations for a kitchen with white a cabinets and black countertop. The duck egg blue we have now in some parts does not go with the black countertops. Any suggestions?
    ...See More
  • ncgraciemay
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    jmie (and anyone else who used VCT vinyl tiles) - how burdensome is the maintenance? My understanding is that it has to be waxed/stripped/buffed periodically. Since i have a large area to deal with, that seems a little worrisome.
  • jmle
    12 years ago
    I have had mine about 6 months and so far I just wipe it up every other week. After it is down for about a year I am looking forward to having it waxed and buffed professionally as I want that shiny hospital look. My is a small galley kitchen and I
    am told it will cost about $100.
  • lilyroses
    11 years ago
    Wonderful room. I can sympathize. Have recently been pondering the flooring for the kitchen in a 1950s ranch and have found a choice you might like. Our old floor was a happy mulit-color speckle with a warm background. Finally lucked on to Mannington VCT Colorpoint - we chose "peanut 627" which is very similar to our old floor. The background is a warm neutral which blends with the older cabinets and is flected with serveral colors - so we can still keep the countertops in a 1950s medium green linen-look laminate. Mannington's Colorpoint has several nice background colors with interesting terrazzo-look speckles, grays, a yellow, whites... BTW we have found VCT is pretty easy care and may go several years before it needs polishing besides if a tile gets damaged you can swap it out. Lots of luck. Here's the link to Colorpoint.
    http://www.mannington.com/commercial/Colorway.aspx?id=2041
  • jmle
    11 years ago
    I just redid my 1952 kitchen. I used the VCT -vinyl composition tiles- in 3 colors.....a multii speck, an aqua and an orange. I love them, I wipe them up every other week. Check out the website, retrorenovation.com, it has lots of vintage ideas.
  • jarmmy
    11 years ago
    Here's a great site to purchase black and white continuous vinyl checkered floor.

Looks cool in retro kitchens!

www.checkeredfloor.com

They have it in small width size and large width size for small or large projects. Like kitchens & garages for the large size width and bathroom, laundry or car trailers for the small width. Only takes about a week to get.
  • Marci Stone
    11 years ago
    Where are these time capsule houses??? I'm a Realtor in Va, DC and Md and I have never seen one of these! I see them on retro renovation all the time. I mean, I see original finishings in houses built in the 40's and 50's but nothing from Atomic era.
  • ncgraciemay
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This one is the only one in my small town in Western NC, in a neighborhood of traditional early-century homes. It was lived in by the couple that built it for 30+ years, changed hands once before we bought it, and miraculously, neither of the previous owners ever changed anything of substance! According to the realtor, everyone he showed the house to prior to us was discouraged by "all the renovation" they'd have to do. So I can see why time capsules are rare. Naturally, I walked into the house and said "OMG, it's PERFECT!"
  • Sharon Lewis
    11 years ago
    If you want to keep the integrity of the house...linoleum in white or cream. Keep us updated. Love it.
  • PRO
    New Life Restorations and Properties
    11 years ago
    Hi, can you post some pictures on your update of this great house? I was wondering what you did for flooring? It seems something muted and soothing would be a good addition with all of the vertical lines in the paneling and the rectangles on the fireplace. You would need a place for your eyes to rest. I found this out the hard way. I have been living with my husband's 1980 paneling in the den (UGH) and in trying to update the only thing that worked was a neutral solid carpet. It did turn out great.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    OMG! I love that kitchen. Linoleum would be the period correct choice.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Linoleum is also a green product and does not off gas anything.
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    11 years ago
    I have a cork floor that is called "Ivory White". It is an off-white with hints of lilac and baby blue. It's being sold for $2.49/sf. It can be sealed with water based polyurethane against leaks in a kitchen. It only needs to be "refreshed" with a single coat of same every 5-7 years.

A floating cork floor can go down over the tiles that are under that carpet. Goes together like a laminate (Uniclic flooring). Super easy to work with. Can keep the cost of flooring reasonable AND keep with the age/theme of this home.
  • PRO
    S O L O W I H E
    11 years ago
    With everyone on the cork suggestion!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Cork is another product that is both of the period and green. So I too would agree that it would be a good choice.
  • drememon
    11 years ago
    Love this house! Can't wait to see your final selections.
    My first choice would be marmoleum click planks, second, a floating cork floor. Both easy on the eye and feet, lots of colors, true to the era, reasonably priced.
  • PRO
    Hrivnak Associates, LLC
    11 years ago
    Funky can be wonderful
  • jarmmy
    11 years ago
    Yep! www.checkeredfloor.com
  • davidfigliuzzi
    11 years ago
    Cork!
  • patinthehat
    11 years ago
    oh WOW. i have Kitchen Envy....baaad. would LOVE to see photos of the finished product. Your house is so fun!
  • sfsurfdude
    11 years ago
    Im so Sure.... If you are not jokeing and Im sure your not... That is one cool looking place, I live in Los Angeles and although I bought my place as a foreclosure and it was a fifties house it doesnt come close to how awesome your place looks... I would keep it the way it looks myself if possible except that "lovely" carpet... If you should accidently end up on an LSD trip I can assure you not looking down would be advisable. Berber? Light colored? Just dont do a black and white checkered 50's Diner floor, you will go insane trying to keep it clean and it would resemble the carpet you have already.
    The ext thing is WHERE in the heck is this house? Then I ask why did I not get so lucky...
    Be advised... With a home of that age and depending one the quality of the prior plumbing and elec projects done (roofing, sewer) expect some surprises and frustrations. personally I have a pocket full but at least no house payment or mortgage.
  • PRO
    Urbana Kitchens ~ Ellen Crystal ~ Designer
    11 years ago
    http://www.dwr.com/product/eames-molded-plastic-dowel-leg-armchair-daw.do?sortby=ourPicks#.URR0SqV2zeM would be AWESOME in this space for chairs, reflecting the smooth retro lines...

There are so many retro marmoleum flooring possible in the robins egg blue family. A talented floor layer could echo some of the curves using sheet goods and two tone. Don't do B & W diner look. Will be too strong for this installation. Needs more organic feel. Cork would also be attractive.

If you go with commercial Armstrong floor, will wear forever. Not sure about waxing.. google process. I have had clients use a commercial cleaner service once a year to really tackle the floor & not been such a big deal for stripping etc. It doesn't have to be done often so that can be a solution

work on lighting especially under the upper if not there already.

A retro mosaic tile with the aqua, tan, whites, yellows.. would look fab & transform the feeling.

Also, paint out the vertical supports holding the upper peninsula cabs to ceiling.. if they are white, will blend more with the ceiling & disappear.

Fabulous kitchen... have fun with this!

Senior Designer~Urbana
  • janowins
    11 years ago
    What a fabulous room!! And the light fitting, yum!! Please no cork on the floor. Get a gorgeous Lino or Marmoleum and chrome stools.
  • rinked
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    How are things getting along now? I'm also curious to see it finished! I'd choose a safe sheet linoleum in light terazzo or checkerboard in beige/sage/grey if I wouldn't bump into anything marvelous (which I guess I would). For the reason you've mentioned: large investment. Can always add color later, right? What have you decided/done? Note: have you seen Armstrong's 88730 Ocean Green?
  • panzyzz
    11 years ago
    Have you been to http://retrorenovation.com/ ? LOTs of ideas on flooring & colors for all budgets. Thank you for appreciating the time period this house was built in and not trying to make it into something its not! Let us know how it works out.
  • 1956ranch
    10 years ago
    I put whitewashed bamboo on the floors of my kitchen. A similar look for cabinets would lighten up this kitchen. I'm sanding mine down and painting, doing very fine sanding between each coat and using a satin floor finish for the final coat - gives it great durability and a wonderful - but not too shiny - sheen.
  • juniperjo
    10 years ago
    Hi, did you ever decide on flooring for your kitchen? If it's not too late, PLEASE don't do vinyl; yes, there are still lots of important uses for petroleum, but in my opinion vinyl flooring tiles are NOT ONE OF THEM. Cork would look great, but Marmoleum would really sing. Wish I could remember where I just saw an *awesome* Marmoleum floor; I think it was in Atomic Ranch -- do you know that magazine? (If not, you should get acquainted with it -- very valuable resource for us mid-century modern homeowners!)
  • juniperjo
    10 years ago
    Just checked out their website, and yes, I'm pretty sure that's where I saw it. Unfortunately it's not available on line -- you'd have to go to a bookstore to look at the article, or buy the issue online. This is a page from the article (but it doesn't show the kitchen): http://www.atomic-ranch.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=63
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    ncgraciemay, what did you decide on? I absolutely LOVE your kitchen and I agree, you really lucked out with the previous owners keeping everything original. Please update all of your new followers! :)
  • Amy Stanley
    10 years ago
    This house is awesome! I would change the frig out to stainless the black stands out in that gorgeous kitchen! If you can't afford to remove it and it's in good shape you could always work with the carpet by using retro furniture!
  • fancythat
    10 years ago
    Polished concrete or vinyl
  • ncgraciemay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Update: I know this is going to be disappointing, but.... we have not changed a whole lot! We spent most of our budget on the big-ticket items, like replacing the crumbling deck and painting inside and out. I've grown used to and even fond of the carpet.. I have vintage folding chairs instead of cool new bar stools. My old kitchen table is totally out of place here. But this house is amazing to live in! The openness, the classic lines, the light, the fact that i see something i love everywhere i look - I feel lucky as hell just to be here. Also, we've tamed the walled, wild jungle in the back, and now have a riotous (if amateurish) edible landscape to play with. It's a balance to the modern design everywhere else, But I am saving this thread forever, so I can take advantage of all these great suggestions someday! Thanks to everyone. Oh look, I just noticed the "thank you" buttons! :P
  • juniperjo
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the update, and I think you made the right decision -- spend your budget on big-ticket items, live with the house and figure out what you can live with and what you just CAN'T, and then knock off those items one at a time over the years!

Edible landscape, yum! :)
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    Thanks for the update! I love how much you are in love with your home. That home deserves to have you as its owner. I just love it and wish I could see more! It looks very much like an Eichler or Cliff May. Do you know who the architect was?
  • hparks74
    10 years ago
    Orange Eames chair or a wire mesh chair in silver.
  • lara_jane
    10 years ago
    I love this update! I hope you continue to love and cherish your amazing home!
  • PRO
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    10 years ago
    Check out this amazing linoleum flooring artist (and other types of floors) - after seeing her work, I'll never think the same way about linoleum! You can stay true to your atomic ranch and give it a twist!
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/lauriecrogan/crogan-inlay-floors
    http://inlayfloors.com/WORKS/GRAPHIC/1/
    :) Rhoda
  • PRO
    Groovywares.com
    10 years ago
    What a wonderful find! Play off all that warm wood and add dimension with a cold hard groovy metal sculpture from the 1960's. Lots of vintage handmade metal sculptures can be found at groovywares.com
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    ncgraciemay -- you've been in your atomic ranch for 2 years now -- any photos you care to share?
  • Sharon
    10 years ago
    Honestly, Yes. I have fallen in love with your house too! We want to see! You had me at your exterior color picks! What a home! And what wonderful Houzz posters!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Your house is mid century modern. Bar stools should be retro. Go on line. Google homes 1950 s see what comes up.
  • Catherine Giesige
    10 years ago
    What a fantastic find! These chairs are a bit pricey but would look fantastic.
    http://houzz.com/photos/3668886
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    10 years ago
    Great house! For more ideas, I highly recommend you check out www.OTM1Designs.com
  • PRO
    Sherman & Gosweiler Inc.,
    10 years ago
    WOW!! I love this kitchen!! I lost count of how many people said "cork" for the floor but I think that would really work, esp. if the price of good quality tile is not in your budget. I like the blue on blue circle pattern in linoleum suggested above too, (and let's face it, linoleum would be so "right" for the room!).

The chairs should definitely be "modern". The examples of woven stainless steel and the Jacobsen chairs above are bothgreat, The steel would be a perfect counterpoint to the blue counters. It will be well worth it to push your budget for something special.

You can see by the huge response that this kichen touches a nerve with a lot of people, I'm guessing that most of them grew up in or are children of children of the 50's and 60's. Have fun with this delightful room!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Cork is cheap and holds up.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    Inlaid floors are possible for a DIY project, if you are pretty handy with a utility or linoleum knife and you go simple, and big curves or straight lines (how about ripple effect overlapping circles?) There are some pretty cool paint treatments too if the old floor underneath is in decent shape--or cover with 1/4 plywood underlay and paint and stencil or freehand, or go Jackson Pollack abstract expressionist (practice first and mask well).

Often the rugs were just a border of black with perhaps a thin accent line and an interior pattern or all-over marbleized pattern.

Here are some images of retro linoleum "rugs" I've seen some pretty great looks with multiple colors of the lino tiles and planks--I think the key to keep it from becoming too diner is to keep the contrast low--like speckled dark grey with marble black, or white, grey and butter yellow or light aqua.

Here are some links with budget floor ideas:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-floors-painted-stenciled-a-144119

Modello stencils have some of the most amazing concrete and floor stencils ever, including a Mod circle design with patterns inside and stenciled cork flooring
    https://www.modellodesigns.com/editor/files2/7795/Operation%20Decoration%20Spring%2008.pdf
    http://www.modellodesigns.com/general.asp?idno=140581

http://www.oldhouseonline.com/how-to-inlay-linoleum-floors/

And some period renderings of linoleum rugs and an IKEA cart that might work for you.
  • Laura Woodburn
    10 years ago
    I can totally see these vintage barstools at the counter but the color is probably too aqua...looks like the counter is actually light mint green? Anyway, these are totally Jetson looking barstools and your kitchen needs them! I found them on onekingslane.com today in their vintage section. If you haven't looked at onekingslane it can be great inspiration for ideas with lots of vintage items to browse even if you don't purchase. I also like the metal wire barstools posted by someone else, especially if want to mix more current modern looks with your time capsule. That could be a nice mix.
  • PRO
    Diane Paparo Associates
    10 years ago
    Start with getting rid of the black refrigerator. Flooring options should be clean and neutral.... Try a white glassos tile or a linen strie porcelain tile.
  • Laura Woodburn
    10 years ago
    Yes, the black refrigerator needs to go. It's like something brought back from the future in your time capsule! I know not easy, refrigerators are expensive.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.