apjinaurora

Would you accept this granite? What should I do?

Amy
7 years ago

I hope this all makes sense. We've been slowly and surely working on fixing up our 50 year old kitchen on a budget. The big thing I wanted was to take down some cabinets over the peninsula and bump out our counter so that there would be seating there. I took months to decide on a counter top. Between all the different choices, we finally chose some granite. It was installed on Friday. However, the peninsula piece was measured wrong in two ways. The overhang on both sides is diagonal by about a half inch, i.e. the counter is crooked (it's not my cabinets). I noticed it when I was feeling the counter edges. The other part that is wrong is a gap around my pantry. It really should be flush with the side of the pantry. We did discuss that there would be on small gap on the interior side of the pantry, but that gap is crooked. The whole gap is also not square to the pantry. Another twist here is that when they went to install the peninsula piece, they had to cut about an inch off of the wall end (they cut it in my house which I wasn't happy about) because they couldn't fit it in the space. Now I am also missing an inch off of the length of the seating side of the overhang (where it wraps around the pantry). They claimed that it was supposed to be that way, but they are incorrect. I never would have said to measure it that way.

I don't know if it was measured wrong or cut wrong, but it isn't right.

I called the granite place the afternoon it was installed and they sent someone over the next morning to look at it. They offered two solutions. They could remove the peninsula piece and take it back to the shop and try to even it out, maybe glue a strip on the end by the wall...basically hack it up some more. I don't like that idea because it means I will lose more of my overhang on the seating side, which was the entire reason we were getting the counters in the first place. Plus I don't want any patchwork on the counters.

The other solution offered is to put a backsplash around the pantry part to cover the gaps, and just live with the crooked overhangs.

I told them I would think about it over the long weekend and call them on Tuesday.

This was a lot of money for us to spend. I am not satisfied with it but not sure what to do from here. I don't like any of the suggested fixes either. What is reasonable for me to ask? Am I being unrealistic? I don't want to be unreasonably picky but I don't want to be taken advantage of either. I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks!

Here's the gaps around the pantry:

This part of the counter was also supposed to go to the end of the pantry, so it is short by about an inch in length.

Here's the seating overhang difference:

Here's the other side of the counter overhang:

Here's a picture of the whole peninsula with the overhang for seating, just for reference. The pantry would be on the right side of the picture:

Comments (126)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.