fldhkybnva

New granite...love it!! Now...the backsplash

fldhkybnva
7 years ago
I've posted a few times about my granite indecision and today was the day. The granite was just installed and I LOVE it! I thought I would get thoughts on some other design decisions. Any ideas about the backsplash? I was thinking something simple like white or cream subway tiles or a light grey tile. Also, I'm still torn on accent colors for the eat in kitchen and attached family room. My initial plan was greens and blues but not sure if that would work with the granite. It would likely be fine in the family room but not the kitchen. Thanks again for all of the advice before about the granite, I couldn't be more pleased.

Comments (132)

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks yaya and Angela! I like both looks! It was so hard to find kitchens with a lighter granite and darker/cheeryish cabinets with just white backsplash. I love both looks. Do you have any accent colors in your kitchens? I'm sort of stuck trying to tie it all together with curtains and wall accents. There's a lot of gray already so thought I would go with a color. I was pondering green but not sure how that would work.
  • freetobeemeok
    7 years ago

I love the granite. Reminds me of my kitchen and I want to change our countertop also.

• juleppark
    7 years ago

I'm probably a minority but I think subway tile belongs in public restrooms; I'm so over it.

• bodile
    7 years ago
    Have you considered a glass backsplash? It comes in large sheets of glass that are painted on the back in any color you wish. There is no grout so it is super easy to keep clean. The installer makes cut outs for electrical sockets. I first saw glass used like this in Europe but found several companies in the US.
    In the past I have always had tiled backsplashes but glass is so superior in every way.
  • PRO
    Design Details
    7 years ago

It looks like your layout would be almost perfect for a slab. The granite is spectacular. It would be a very classy move to bring it up the wall. If matching tiles are available you could cut them to 3"x12" or any size you like and install then either stacked or in a running bond, like bricks.

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

fld . . ., I love your granite! Have you considered any of Sonoma Tilemakers' tiles? They make tiles in both crackle glass & metallic finishes w/ silvery-gray tones I think would look good w/ your cab color & granite. Some of tan samples you have above look too pink to me, & the gray too dark.

• bajean
    7 years ago
    Leelee, I love the backsplash in the bottom picture that you posted. Where did you find it?
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I've considered both glass but think it's a little too modern for my style.

• yayyay37
    7 years ago
    I agree about finding examples of dark cabinets and light countertops! It was nearly impossible and I looked for years. I love white cabinets as well but knew it wouldn't work for us.
    We decided to keep everything else as neutral and light as possible therefore we have light oak flooring and my wall color choice was a greige, (beige more than gray). I don't have any accent color just lots of gray, beige and white. I love it this way but could easily see adding a color to pop it. I think green (sage) would be lovely!
  • PRO
    Idesign laflamme
    7 years ago
    I would definitely go for the same granit onto the walls if you have any buget left, it's a "valeur sure" and won't look too busy within different styles, shapes and colours and especially with the red dark wood cabinets. If not, stainless will blend so nice because you don't add colour, stainless is reflecting light and goes perfectly with everything.
  • Laura Lee
    7 years ago

Glass mosaic with stainless steel to pick up the appliances. The silver tones will pick up the coloring of the granite.

• becky_sido
    7 years ago

We just finished our kitchen remodeling and I also struggled with countertops and backsplash choices. We chose light cherry cabinets, Ella quartz countertops (cambia) and white glass tiles (3X10 that are crazed -white moon B301 Field Newport). The size of the tiles, with the slight shine and the crazing, really are beautiful, and not modern. Simple, but not plain- just what we wanted.

• Free Spirit
    7 years ago
    i like off white subway tile
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@yayay My original plan was to keep it gray but didn't want it to be too boring but I figure I should go with what I like :) My walls are also "greige" (SW perfect greige). The attached family room is a darker gray so I think I might just add the color there and keep the kitchen more neutral.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

@becky_sido

I love that look, gorgeous!

• daninclaremont
    7 years ago

Smashing!

• alicejean
    7 years ago
    I agree with those who suggest running your granite all the way up. We did this in our last kitchen and are getting ready to do it here in our new kitchen. You will enjoy looking at your beautiful granite, and there will be no maintenance, grout lines or detractions from what you already love.
  • Lizzy L.
    7 years ago

Clear glass or white subway tile would brighten up the space.

• Lynn G
    7 years ago

Stay away from grey or beige: the granite has more of a cool white color - the warm beige will look dull and dirty next to it. Grey and dark brown can really start looking extra dark. Subway tiles in white, or coke bottle green glass gets my vote. But probably white just based on the darkness of the wood - you're gonna need some brightness in there...

• nancy whitehead
    7 years ago

I'm a retired Pro Architect and Interior Designer You are being given some great advice here but i have to agree stick with the white subway tile. There are many shades of white subway tile. As suggested, get a lot of white off white samples then compare them next to your granite but you should take into consideration the entire light and lighting in the room because the amount of light you get will effect the final result of the room and depending on how much of it or how little with those dark cabinets and grey walls and the stainless steel reflecting off light take your time with your samples in choosing that final shade of white against this entire backdrop Professionals never just look at each single thing when they put together a room they look at the entire room as a whole That is why you can normally tell the difference between a professional job and an amateur one. You need to look at the entire room not just one segment of it then choose accordingly. Always be asking yourself "How do i want this to look when it is finished?" And in so doing always be thinking of how you want to use the room also because how you use a room is very important in making selections for it. What do you want this room to say about your family lifestyle, yourself, the chef of the house, and is it for entertaining or for just family use. Today's kitchens are normally used for more then just cooking and the choice of the back splash is making an important statement about you, your family, your lifestyle and how you use the room. I would like to compliment you on the granite and the beautiful bevel that borders the edge of it..Very nice touch. Eager to see your finished product on here. You have been given very good advice from many different people which is one of the things i personally like about Houzz...Have fun and enjoy the rest of your kitchen project..So far so good, I also like the idea of the granite being used in place of the white Subway tile but if it were a matter of budget i would choose the cheaper Subway tile and with the money i saved i would put toward that new fridge the kitchen really needs..Just a closing thought.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks, Nancy! Great advice! My brain doesn't really do all the things you suggest, it's a bit too logical orderly, mathematic but I'm trying to embrace the "feel" approach. The rest of the house remains undecorated including the walls in the kitchen because I'm lost in finding the feel.

The fridge wasn't a bother to me until last week when it started leaking and I barely had enough room to remove the freezer door because it's so gigantic. I'm not sure why the past owners chose that fridge but it's way too big. New fridge is on the list but other things are taking priority for now.
  • hourikkazarian
    7 years ago
    You can't go wrong with white- subway or other styles. It'll be fresh and clean and timeless. And no trims or anything because kitchen counters get cluttered and any sort of trim will make it look even more cluttered.
  • Paula Clemow
    7 years ago

Would Leelee please tell me if they know about the last picture back splash. It seems perfect for my new kitchen. The last house I did had no back splash for months, good idea. I'm over subway tile and glass. Thought I'd try the painted glass but we are waiting for the cabinets to go in tomorrow.

• cjjow
    7 years ago

Love your granite! We just put in something similar and it took a while to find just the right shade of subway tile, but we found one that was beige with a hint of gray in it. It complemented the granite by picking up some of the shading in the granite without being too busy. It was called "Bossy Gray".

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 years ago

Nancy gave great input. One additional thought. If you choose the white subway (again, not all whites are created equal, you have to get "current" samples and take to your house and put them up and look in all times of day) you might also consider having the installer lay them vertically, instead of horizontally. That would bring a little "nuance" to your backsplash without breaking the bank. Or do a herringbone pattern, just something to make it "different" and not the same ole -- same ole. Keep the gorgeous granite the "focal" point. I would also think hard about the idea of running the granite up the backsplash. I actually think this would "weight down" the whole look too much and darken the space further, which probably isn't best idea. IMHO.

• simsala
    7 years ago

Now that the original backsplash is gone - this is a good time to move all the electrical plugs and switches to the underside of the cabinets together with the LED undercabinets lights. Flat sockets and switches are now readily available.

Gives the backsplash a clean look, especially if you go with an one-piece synthetic material. No groutlines

• Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I agree w/ simsala re it's good time to clean up bksplsh electrical, but suggest a different sol'n. I looked at under-cab electrical, but our CKD dissuaded me. One can't see them, so one has to stoop down to plug in something or operate a switch. We went w/ Legrand's Adorne line, brushed SS for bksplshes & custom for cab panels. I don't have pic of ones on sink wall bksplash, but R side is 3-gang w/ dimmers for under-cab & inside center upper cab, & GFCI. L side is 4-gang w/ dimmer on 3-way for ceiling cans, dimmer for island pendants, sw for patio light & GFCI. Pic of pantry bksplsh below taken b4 valance installed to hide LEDs.

• RubyRoses
    7 years ago
    looking at your sample board the 101 white looks like the best match to me.
  • simsala
    7 years ago

Most appliances are plugged in all the time anyway. Once you know where the switch is (maybe a small piece maskingtape on the front for the time being) it becomes routine. I do not like dimming lights under the cabinet. The lights are small in the first place and I want comfortable lighting where I can see well. Alternatively the switch for the u/c lighting can be installed somewhere where it is convenient.

But the backsplash without "acne-marks" sure looks good

• simsala
    7 years ago

LED strip lights are now only 3/4" thick and have their own "build-in" valance, completely shielding the light source. No need to drill holes into the bottom shelf of the cabinet. Also wireless switches make things a lot easier

• Colleen Beauregard
    7 years ago

This is very similar to my son's kitchen. They took the same granite ( excess pieces?) and had the granite people cut them into a rough stack stone look. Arduous installation (one by one) but the look is AMAZING! No grout...just the stone stacked.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    7 years ago
    Your kitchen cabinets and floors are
    Beautiful and your granite really complements them both.. I'd run the granite up the wall as your backsplash. I have that in my home and I love it!! A great way to enjoy your granite. If you wanted to break it up a little you could pick a pretty decorative tile and insert a few of them sporadically in it, trimming it out in a bullnose made from your granite.
  • fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I agree, think the 101 is best
  • PRO
    Custom Workz by NoBoDEE
    7 years ago
    I used to breed horse's till I found out they can do it themselves.
  • caselbury
    7 years ago
    I like the gray subway with the granite. I would do in a herringbone style. Your kitchen is beautiful.
  • Bruce Crawford
    7 years ago

Re under-cab LED's & electrical, my dimmable LED's came on tape much less than 3/4" & didn't require nails or screws. I'm not aware of any under-cab ltg. that comes w/ own maple valance stained to match my cabs. Re flat plugs, I'm not aware of any flat GFCI's, which are req'd near water.

• Rebecca Brickman
    7 years ago
    Lee Lee where is the picture from your first post second image
  • PRO
    DB Home Improvements and Handyman Services
    7 years ago

Here is the exact granite top with gray painted walls above the white cabinets, and the backsplash my customer chose was a beveled edge white subway tile, using the 45 degree angled portion where the cooktop is placed, choosing an accent tile to tie all colors together. The combination and finished product was knocked out and very elegant.

• fldhkybnva
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you sooooo much for the photos! I was 95% set on white subway tile but that sealed it, thanks.

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    7 years ago

Here are some images from a kitchen we designed with white subway tiles.

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

• cheryld1
    7 years ago
    Yes, I would go with an elongated skinny tile, neutral. I would not go with subway tile, I believe it would cheapen your look. You did well on your granite choice. Also...chandelier or pendant over your island would be nice.
  • Leilani Jankus
    7 years ago

how about a tumbled stone tile with some accent? not a fan of subway tile, my counter top is darker than yours but you could go darker or lighter on the tile. Oh and don't go with halogens under the cabinets...they make it hotter. Stick with LEDs

• PRO
    Palace of Glass
    7 years ago

May be you would like a single piece glass backsplash with design on your choice? Generally backsplash would be a larger center piece and designer tiles would be surrounding it and supporting visually. Here are some pictures to get the idea:

• Jessica
    7 years ago

I have stone envy! Beautiful.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Here is a picture of the underside of the LeGrand Adorne system

kathi_steele's ideas · More Info

• Careth Beard
    7 years ago

That granite is GORGEOUS! Nice job!!

While I live and die for white subway tile (I would cover the entire world in it if I could), the first thing I thought was that smoky glass tile that pulls one of shades from the granite would look nice. It would combine the timelessness of subway tile, but also add a little customization that would keep it from looking too "safe".

You could even add a little more pizzazz with a coordinating mosaic tile behind the range.

Good luck! It looks beautiful so far!

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    7 years ago

Your granite is breath taking!

• Sharon Veenhof
    7 years ago
    Gray glass subway tile
  • wags4fun
    7 years ago

Did you make a decision? Curious to see what you chose. I have similar colors & am pondering similar choices. Thx!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.