leilahnelsie

To 'Expoxy' or not to 'Epoxy'

leilahnelsie
7 years ago

Needing advice please. We have a concrete floor home that is undergoing leveling with the intent for a 'polished' finish. I'm told that after applying acid (after preparatory work is done) there is no need to apply epoxy, to save costs. I have my reservations as the entire house including the bathroom (except shower) will be left in concrete and I'd like to have floors waterpoof and bathroom non-slip. Cleaning floors will also be a challenge as well. Any advice would be helpful. Cheers!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    Need a little more detail. You have an existing concrete slab that is being leveled in areas, then the whole thing is getting ground smooth then stained?
    leilahnelsie thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • leilahnelsie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry. Our new home build has concrete floors. House is still incomplete - actually, roof goes up today. We live on a tropical island so humidity is a constant. Husband is grinding floor to have this leveled and we were told that we only need to apply acid thereafter. No need for staining/epoxy seal etc... Not trusting the advice provided. Wondered if anyone else did the same. I'm thinking there's too much that can go wrong without the seals.

• PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    7 years ago
    I recommend a sealer. Grinding concrete removes the Portland cement "fines" that are typically steel troweled to a burnished finish. This can leave the finish somewhat more porous and susceptible to staining. Sealers are available in a variety of sheens, from gloss to matte.
    leilahnelsie thanked Ironwood Builders
  • Rusty Empire
    7 years ago

I would go over to the Buddy Rhodes site to check out their sealer. I wish I could find the article comparing sealers where theirs ranked high, but regardless sealers have to be reapplied as regular maintenance. And they are not all created equal. I wouldn't do epoxy however as I would want my floor to breath, especially in a tropical climate. And I wouldn't want the plastic looking finish epoxy gives you either, but rather a protective seal coat that hilights the finish in a more natural looking way.

http://www.buddyrhodes.com/sealers/

leilahnelsie thanked Rusty Empire
  • User
    7 years ago

Embrace the seal!

leilahnelsie thanked User
  • leilahnelsie
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you all for the comments. Sold at the thought of stains in the floor! Much appreciated. Love the pic Tribbletrouble44152k7 Trek haha!

• PRO
    N.FL.Concrete Flooring & Staining Inc
    7 years ago

100% solid epoxy clear

same epoxy with color last 2 only 100% solid clear . 100 % solids won't give you a plastic look . Any sealer you choose to maintain a kemiko polish can be applied as need once you apply you never have to strip simply pour and mop as you would if you were clearing . Buddy Rhodes wealth of knowledge

leilahnelsie thanked N.FL.Concrete Flooring & Staining Inc
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 years ago
    We used a water based matte epoxy in our office (approx 4000 sq ft of concrete we ground smooth- ugh)

It looks like there is no finish but is very easy to maintain.
    leilahnelsie thanked Ellsworth Design Build
  • PRO
    N.FL.Concrete Flooring & Staining Inc
    7 years ago

Ellsworth matte epoxy does make a more natural look . With no killer order

leilahnelsie thanked N.FL.Concrete Flooring & Staining Inc
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.