inarahomeimagery

Log burning stove for Edwardian property?

We've bought an Edwardian property to do up and I would love to put in a gorgeous Edwardian cast-iron open fireplace with tiled insets but realistically they don't give off much heat! We have used the one that's here (it's a horrible 1960s thing but the principle is the same) a few times since we moved in and it was rubbish in comparison to the log burner that we had in our previous house.

Is it possible to buy a log burner that is in some way sympathetic to an Edwardian 'look'? Has anybody seen something that might work? We're generally going for an 'elegant, classic, traditional' look throughout, trying to blend Edwardian style (and retain as many features as possible - luckily the house still has the original doors, architraving, etc) with a New England / Hamptons type 'clean' classical style.

Comments (3)

• PRO
    User
    7 years ago

I disagree with the heat production, maybe your fireplace was too small for the room. Our last one sent out so much heat we used to have to open all the doors and let the heat out into the surrounding rooms and up the stairs. It's all dependant on the right amount of coal and a good old log or two once it's up and burning. Most of the heat is from the red hot coals.

However, here's a link to a nice 'old fashioned' style log burner log burner,

just remember that you buy these also according to room size, or you'll just have the same problem.

Inara Home Imagery thanked User
  • Inara Home Imagery thanked minnie101
  • PRO
    Newbridge Heating Centre
    7 years ago

There are two makes I would recommend the first is Jotul perhaps the F100, (in the bottom picture) or if you want something that is sympathetic but more modern; I would recomend the Chesney Salisbury (in the top picture). Make sure you get a well qualified installer. I hope this helps.

Inara Home Imagery thanked Newbridge Heating Centre
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.