bagnoglasgow

POLL: Open plan bathrooms - yay or nay?

We believe that going open-plan offers more space, allowing a dressing area to be incorporated, as well as bathing and a WC that can be positioned with some privacy in mind. Bathing, dressing and ‘getting ready’ can all be made smooth processes, and designated areas for these stages are a good idea where possible, particularly when dealing with an ensuite.

This extra space, combined with clean finishes and an all over sleek design work towards making your room a refuge of serenity. Black, whites and greys are timeless, and they offer a certain minimalism that any room that encourages relaxation should take advantage of. That’s not saying that the room should not have personal touches, and 2016’s trend of varying colours of brassware can help you there. The introduction of the anthracite (bold dark grey) Mezzine range works to give the bathroom a bold look, and can be extremely eye-catching within a simplistic space.

Are you for this trend? Vote below!

Yay
No
Undecided

Comments (18)

• Anna
    7 years ago

Open plan bathrooms?! I love that idea!

• Rachael Fletcher
    7 years ago

Amazing shower!

• Harry Maxwell
    7 years ago

Definitely if they look like the one in the photo!

• Bebe Price
    7 years ago

I love the idea of a stand alone bath at the bottom of my bed... One day!

• PRO
    Leighton Home Style
    7 years ago

We are all now having open plan kitchen living, we are also moving more into open plan bathrooms with dressing rooms. By using a dividing wall to separate the bedroom end from the bathroom by means of just a walk through really can look great. Toilet areas can be screened off by using sliding sandblast glass panels...I would definitely say yes to this.

Classic Contemporary Residence · More Info

• PRO
    Douglas Strachan - Chartered Architect Midlothian
    7 years ago

I like open plan bathrooms as they give more space and open up the house.

• User
    7 years ago

As an interior designer I would say that while it can look interesting in photos it's very impractical in real life and it won't stand the test of time.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    7 years ago

Hello Bagnodesign,

I rather think that designing with "trend" in mind would be fleeting and offer the idea of continual change. I rather prefer the idea of designing with longevity in mind.. It's less about being fashionable but more about what is right for the space and clients needs, likes, budget and so forth..

I think this is not a symbiotic relationship between shower and closet and poses no real advantage as you can easily create a luxurious bathroom or shower room with a nearby closet area that is completely separate and moisture free.. It is though, entirely a matter of personal taste, but perhaps all that is needed is a degree of further separation which houses the shower and thus the resulting moisture is contained..

: ))

• PRO
  • PRO
    HSSP Architects Ltd
    7 years ago

Beautifully decorated space, I would love to see how this holds up with day to day living!

• PRO
    Graham Halpenny Decorators Ltd
    7 years ago

This space is amazing and works, but for us we like our privacy!

• PRO
    Atom Interior Styling
    7 years ago

why not its all done to personal preferance

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Is this just an open plan bathroom with dressing area or the bedroom also incorporated? I've assumed the former given the write up in which case I think it's a good idea assuming it's space saving which you might expect. I'm all for getting ready in one room which does not happen in our household plus having practical furniture kept out of the bedroom. I would however be slightly concerned re moisture impact on any wood plus you'd need a good de-mister mirror. I'm not overly against open plan bathrooms/bedrooms either as long as there is privacy for the wc and a lock on the bedroom door but perhaps I need to have been married longer!

• PRO
    Cassidy Interiors
    7 years ago

We at Cassidy Interiors love open plan bathrooms. When you have a bathroom that looks this luxurious, why hide it?

• PRO
    Platinum Interiors London
    7 years ago

I think open plan bathrooms can look very good, but always depends on design/layouts

• PRO
    NV Interiors
    7 years ago

We have successfully designed and installed a couple of open plan bedroom / bathrooms. One of these we won and international design award for the clever use of space. The bathroom becomes and extension of the living space which can be so fabulous.

• Nick Mierzejewski
    7 years ago

I think it opens up more possibilities with the space, whilst giving more space to the overall layout.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.