ffionfrancis

Help with bathroom tiles

Ffion Francis
8 years ago
Hi all, would really appreciate some advice on our new bathroom. We have already bought most things including free standing bath, vanity unit, radiator, toilet, shower unit and floor tiles and have agreed layout but now need help in bringing it all together! LOVE the floor tiles which are encaustic patterned bert & may and my original thoughts were to go with metro tiles however they don't seem to go very well so now I'm kind of stuck! Even an off white doesn't look right. Definitely want to tile walls at least half way up so was thinking of maybe trying to find grey metro tiles to match the lighter colour in the floor tiles? My concern with grey is the room is quite small and dark especially with the dark window and bathroom furniture so need something that will lift the whole room. Any suggestions very welcome!!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Oasys Property Solutions
    8 years ago

Also

Ffion Francis thanked Oasys Property Solutions
  • PRO
    Italian Tile & Stone
    8 years ago

Hi Ffion

I would agree with what Oasys have said. The white you get in unglazed materials such as encaustics and fully vitrified Victorian tiles is completely different to that with a glazed tile being almost a cream to a white.....

That said it has always been so. The two different methods of production have existed for centuries so rest assured you are facing the exact same dilemma as Victorian and earlier designers. The finished room will look right and I would caution against using off whites or antique whites on the walls as they don't look well against the sanitary ware.

If you didn't want the two tiles to meet you could always put a skirting tile between both.

Finally a good quality grey subway won't darken the room if that's the way you are leaning- The brightness of the tile is far more dependent on the quality of the clays and glazes used in making it rather than the colour of the tile.

Ps - Thanks for the informative presentation at Farrow and Ball last night.

Luke

Ffion Francis thanked Italian Tile & Stone
  • Andrea Collins
    8 years ago

Hi Ffion, I love those floor tiles, they will bring so much character to your bathroom. I see many options here, however my first three choices would be:

1. If you go for the metro tiles half way up all the way around (I understand that's what you are thinking), I would agree with the others to go for matt so you add depth and avoid the reflection of your dark and beautiful bathroom furniture which will make the bathroom smaller, busier and will lose the elegance and also deflect from the features. I would be careful about the grout. The metro tiles are a completely different shape and pattern to the floor and if you have them all around, it could clash. I would either use the same colour for the grout as the colour of the tiles or have them both very light and similar shades. The walls in your case should act as a background that showcase the rest. In terms of which colour, I would try to match the lightest shade with white grout and white walls above. I think the grey is a bit too dark, but light grey with white grout and walls would look perfect.

2. If you are keen to add the metro tiles for their character, highlighting their full glory with a different grout and shine, your better option would be to create a feature wall out of them. It should be of full height behind the bath. As long as you have paneling half way up on the rest of the wall with paint matching one of the light colours from the floor tiles you can go as wild as you like. Well, almost. As long as it goes with the floor tiles. Nevertheless, there is no need for a perfect harmony, that is why you have the bath to break it up.

Surrenden Road, Brighton - Family Bathroom · More Info

3. Paneling with skirting all around (no wall tiles) - I would choose a light grey for this or other shades of light grey/blue. The colour does not need to match as the panels are a different texture and look compare to tiles on the floor. Naturally, in order to achieve a seamless look, it will all have to go together.

Whatever you'll decide in the end, I am sure you will make it stunning as you have already made some lovely choices.

All the best

Andrea

Ffion Francis thanked Andrea Collins
  • PRO
    Reed Harris Tiles
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Ffion,

I'm not sure you are any closer to your decision about wall tiles yet but I would just like to say that the Bert & May tiles are really beautiful and could look amazing in your bathroom. If you have seen samples, you will know that they are quite thick so your tiler will need to allow enough space to accommodate them. We have a great tile called Boston which is a good size and has a very nice sheen to it, without it being too shiny which would compliment the floor tiles beautifully. There are a few shades of grey to choose from as well, have a look and see what you think. If you are not able to use the Bert & May tiles due to their thickness I would suggest having a look at Classic which is also beautifully patterned and has quite a good texture to it, make it ideal for bathroom.

As the floor will be the main feature in the room, I would recommend keeping the wall tiling really simple and selecting grout to match the colour of tiles, rather than going for a different colour.

I hope that helps and do let us know what you decide on.

Karen

Ffion Francis thanked Reed Harris Tiles
  • PRO
    Thelma Henry Interiors
    8 years ago
    Hi Ffion,
    I would suggest not using the brick tile. It's too small with your floor tile.
    a 60x30 would work better on the walls.
    Why not tile it half way up to the window sill and paint the rest of the walls.
    Also tile all the wet areas.
    Hope that's of help to you.
    Look forward to seeing the finished product .
    Ffion Francis thanked Thelma Henry Interiors
  • PRO
    London Encaustic
    8 years ago
    Hi there,
    Just an idea, we sell the same cement tile as you're looking at, however we can colour match them for you and get which ever colours you want. Also, we are a new company so will be able to get the tiles to you for a cheaper price in 4 weeks.
    If you don't get any luck elsewhere, have a look at our website tejatile.co.uk
    Ffion Francis thanked London Encaustic
  • PRO
    Pat Oliver Interior Design
    8 years ago

Hi Ffion,

I have to agree with Thelma Henry Interiors. Use a large format wall tile, even 450 x 900 to have as few grout lines as possible. Porcelanosa do several pale grey tiles, Rodano Acero 80 x 80 cm, Nápoles 44 x 66 cm, and others.

Paint an "old" white above to match the white of your floor tile. Make sure there's enough contrast between the paint colour and the white of the sanitary ware to avoid having the walls look dirty.

Hope that's useful.

Ffion Francis thanked Pat Oliver Interior Design
  • puffinrock
    8 years ago
    I have some ecaustic tiles which I had placed as a splashback instead and then sealed. Bear in mind that the tiles may show water marks and soap scum easily and floors tend to get dull quickly when they are walked on constantly. I would recommend going to some independent tile companies and your fitter can cut them if you need them to be in awkward spaces. You can get metro tiles in a matt off white but you may have to get them made for you.
    Ffion Francis thanked puffinrock
  • PRO
    Nicola Holden Designs
    8 years ago

Fired Earth do quite a good selection of metro tiles in various shades of grey. I don't think it will make your bathroom look too dark if you chose a grey to match the light grey in your Bert and May tiles (which are gorgeous by the way!), and if you chose glazed tiles then the shiny surface will help to bounce the light around the space, but without the stark contrast of the white tiles.

• ravi chouhan
    8 years ago
    hi this is my bathroom toils
  • PRO
    The Douglas Watson Studio Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello, have a look at our wonderful selection of contemporary and classic hand painted tiles that are used in the most prestigious homes around the country. There are designs to suit everyone. Please ask if you need any more information. Genevieve

Ffion Francis thanked The Douglas Watson Studio Ltd
  • Lauren
    8 years ago
    I think Italian tile and stone are right. Put a dark skirting tile (matching the darker grey in the floor tile) around the room before continuing with the metro tiles. This will break up the direct contrast.
    Ffion Francis thanked Lauren
  • PRO
    bathroomluxuries.co.uk
    7 years ago

White tiles are always a good choice... love metro tiles!

Ffion Francis thanked bathroomluxuries.co.uk
  • PRO
    Chris Snook
    7 years ago

I see a Bert and May tile. I watched them been hand made in Spain. Such lovely tiles.

Ffion Francis thanked Chris Snook
  • PRO
    Period Property Store
    7 years ago

We think a light painted panelling would look really nice against the encaustic tiles you have. The image below shows the Ca’Pietra Cement Encaustic Modern Harlequin Pattern with this look really well.

Period Styled Bathroom with Geometric Tile Flooring · More Info

Ffion Francis thanked Period Property Store
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.