pk7570

Ugly Rug..need help disguising with accessories!

pk7570
8 years ago

Hello!

My family loves this rug but I just despise it as i don't feel it goes with our current furniture. The rug was very expensive so its not something we can change or the furniture at this point in time, so i need a way to somehow make the look be polished and somehow hide that ugly rug. I love gray/white/blue/black but our furniture is traditional but the fireplace is very rustic with the stone. I hope you can offer tips on how to decorate the coffee/side tables as well as what color pillows would look best. I prefer not so much the bright colors.

Thanks so much!!

Comments (18)

• er612
    8 years ago

Can you post a pic in the other direction that shows the fireplace?

• printesa
    8 years ago

I like the rug:) You could use some pillows that have the gray and yellow colors of the rug.

http://tinyurl.com/jxsgh2r

https://www.etsy.com/listing/84841760/gray-yellow-pillow-cover-ikat-pillow?ref=market

• pk7570
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks but unfortunately we can't change the furniture due to budget what accessories can I put that is not a lamp on the end tables??
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

I agree with printed and textured grey and yellow pillows. Go easy on the yellow. Why don't you want lamps? You could do a vase with flowers, frames, sculptures, etc. You are already off to a great start!

• PRO
    Gina Lauren Interiors
    8 years ago

I actually like the rug and I feel like you can do a lot with this space. Bring pillows onto the sofa that have the same colors as the rug. Use the rug design, pattern and colors to unify the space. If you can't beat em, join em. Also, bring in some coffee table books in the same colors as the rug and lay them architecturally on the table. You can bring a nice bowl or large mirrored tray to put in the center of the coffee table with an orchid, candlesticks of varying sizes. Think collected and found objects, like seashells, branches, etc. I see a mix of rustic nature inspired pieces with a little bit of modern glitz and shine like a metal tray or pretty scultpural bowl. This way the metal works with the shiny nickel nailhead on your chairs. Also, bring some lumbar pillows onto your chairs. Bring some nice picture frames onto your side table. If you can get a chandelier, that will help make the space feel more cozy and comfortable as well as bring some nice overhead lighting to the room. Good luck. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• pk7570
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm not a fan of yellow:(... I know we have it in the rug but I'd like to make it look more farmhouse style... Any chance I can use white accessories to offset the gray and yellow?
  • PRO
    Gina Lauren Interiors
    8 years ago

Absolutely. This will be and really pull together the rest of the colors in the room.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Yes! But I would just get a single pillow with a tiny bit of yellow mixed with other colors to tie it in. Not necessary though. Another thought is to move the end tables a bit away from the sofa so they look better scale.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

You can also remove the rug and sell it until you can replace if u hate it so much.

• grapefruit1_ar
    8 years ago

I would paint the tables black. You need lamps in order to make things look good. Overhead lighting greatly detracts from a room's appearance.

• pk7570
    Original Author
    8 years ago

ok how does this look with the linen ivory pillow and a blue? would that help offset the yellow or do you think yellow would look the best? i'm just not a fan of yellow and i really hate that couch and rug ( i wanted a white tufted sofa but stuck with what i have due to budget) so i have to somehow hide the yellow... the other side of this couch is this fireplace and the other side of the living room is the kitchen which has a blueish glass backsplash. Since its an open floor plan, i' m trying to somehow make it flow.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

If u hate yellow then use the blue and ivory but not all solid. Mix in some prints and textures

• PRO
    Gina Lauren Interiors
    8 years ago

Yes, I'd bring in some patterns on the pillows.The light blue is beautiful and works well. You can also bring in a throw and maybe a wicker basket to put some extra pillows and blankets in. Keep going. You're doing great.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Here is what I meant by a small amount of yellow mixed in with a patterned pillow. It would only be a single pillow. Mixed this with greys, ivory and blues.

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

• PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

You certainly don't have to do yellow at all. Just throwing out options

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.