a_sada

Rug Advice ... Help !!

A Sada
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I recently purchased this transitional living room set . I have a cream color tile in the living room plus my walls are a light tan color , so decided to get a area rug to add some coziness . I'm not that good with decorating so I need help . What rug Goes better ? The taupe shag , the vintage/modern black pattern , or the beige shag .... Advice please and Thanks !

( the pic of the taupe is a 5x7 if we decide on any of these they will be 10x8 just like the black )

Comments (110)

• Carolina
    8 years ago
    Yep, I like it too :-) Looks better than I thought it would. Thumbs up.
  • Carolina
    8 years ago
    Looks like you could do with a larger size though.
  • Related Discussions

Need help/advice :-)

Q

Comments (14)
    I've painted a landscape on the wall, wallpapered one and enlarged a photo and had it printed on canvas. There are inexpensive outlets that shoukd have a framed printed landscape too. Just need to keep looking. Kirklands used too, Z Gallery, Homegoods. Or try searching online.
    ...See More

Please I need help advice/tips on redecorating my bedroom, Thankyou.

Q

Comments (13)
    Thank you so much for all your helpful advice. I love the idea of adding some of those pretty lamps. And cute little frames and mirrors to. Please can anyone tell me what the casbah is. Thank you.
    ...See More

Advice for kitchen seating area

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi. I love your couch and if light is an issue, I would think about a large mirror because it'll bounce the light around the room (your little starburst one is a bit wasted over there). Mirrors don't have to be expensive - look in charity shops and second hand shops. If you go for a large canvas, make it quite colourful so the boring walls fade away. Again, you don't have to spend a fortune - there are lots of websites with affordable art. A floor lamp would be great and if you get a ceiling light, make sure it isn't so low that it blocks whatever fabulous new item you have hanging behind the couch. I'd see how it looks when you've done this before you paint or also to help choose your paint colour so it goes with mirror/art. Good luck!
    ...See More

Curtain colour & style advice

Q

Comments (1)
    A Greige would be nice, a mix between Grey and Beige, I wouldn't go fully to either colour. But, an in-between would be nice. If you'd like any, one to one advice or design help, feel free to get in touch. Email - kerrybryaninteriors@outlook.com Kerry
    ...See More
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks , now someone mentioned this earlier but how many pillows is enough ? 2 on couch , 1 on chair and 2 on love seat ? And can I do different prints , or do print and solids ? Really like these ...
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    That's 8 x 10 ... Bigger ?
  • Whitney Huber
    8 years ago
    I like those two pillows! If say one of each on the couch and one of ONE choice for the chair try to break it up with maybe a solid color for the chair of the same color scheme
  • Whitney Huber
    8 years ago
    So an example of the pillows that'd go good with your color scheme for the chair ...when you are adding pillows it is also important to mix it up with different textured pillows. I threw an example of one in the photos as well..:)
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Art before pillows. With the selection of this rug, I would stay more monochromatic with just touches of the accent color you choose which I would base on the art.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

Lamp and coffee table with legs to offset the bulkiness of the seating.

• Carolina
    8 years ago

Yes, I think you could do with a larger rug, so the sofa's front feet can be on it too. And if you move this rug under the sofa, it will be too small. It's okay as it is, but would be better if it's larger.

• A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm going rug crazy here ... Vote please color rug or lattice .... Thanks everyone :)
  • Whitney Huber
    8 years ago
    I actually like that rug better! But it's what you like that matters :)
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @whitney - I like it too ! It's colorful but the beige give it that neutral feel , if that makes sense ... Any other comments/suggestions ?
  • Carolina
    8 years ago
    I vote for the trellis.
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

I like the floral. It's much livelier.

• PRO
    Iconic Deco Interiors
    8 years ago

My kind advise! None. You should put some pop colors. Depends whats your style and how would you like your living room. Suggestions here:

• PRO
    Terrence Howell Home Staging and Art
    8 years ago

Finding the right area rug, wall art, or lamps for your home, is like finding a roommate . Ask yourself , can I live with this and look at it for the next 2-3 years? I know I've bought art and various things for my home and after a month, I want to kick myself. And ask "what was I thinking''?? Your home should be a fiesta. When you've had a hard day or the weather is bad outside, there should be life and colors inside your home. (Life is to short and unpredictable, so eat the desert first) So choose wisely.

• Carolina
    8 years ago
    If you love the rug with the big flowers, by all means go for it. My personal opinion is that it's not very stylish, it takes over the room and you'll be bored with it fairly soon. I'm never this outspoken, but since your original choices were way more neutral, I fear you're kind of being pressured into choosing something bright and cheerful. If that's not at all the case, then that's fine :-)
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @carolins - you were right , I lived with it for a day and found it wasn't my style long term . . It was pretty but it was so distracting and found the trellis was just cozier . I'm just a neutral type person . I do want color and want aquas and beiges and Browns on wall . So now that I know this is the one to keep send me ideas of what to put on the walls ... I need something for behind the couch and I have another wall that is almost equally as big behind the love seat . If you can send links for things also that would be great . Thanks everyone !!!!!
  • Carolina
    8 years ago
    Can you send us more photos, so we get an idea of the entire space?
  • Carolina
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Art is so very personal. Would you like something abstract? Something like this?

And I threw in a pouf, and a light blue martini table.

• Carolina
    8 years ago

Oops, hit submit a little too soon. So, coffee table, oval, metal and glass to give some contrast to the softness of seating and rug. Pillows are from Kirklands (square light blue), Westelm (green), Worldmarket. The art piece may be too small for over the sofa in real life (it should cover at leas half the size of the sofa, pref. 2/3), but it's to give you an idea of what you could look for and to find out if you'd like something like that.

• Carolina
    8 years ago

Here's another option. Art is 54" long, so should be wide enough.

Coffee table from Wayfair, end table from Worldmarket.

• Carolina
    8 years ago
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Great ideas and suggestions ... Here's the other wall ... What should I put here ? Another canvas ? This picture is of the over sized chair ...
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

A Sada, please stand back and shoot the wall with the chair that includes some of the other furniture. Get as much of that wall left to right as you can. We need to see how the chair relates to the whole wall and the rest of the room.

• Carolina
    8 years ago
    I agree with Groveraxle
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Hey guys so here are some more detailed pics of the area ... Here are the questions I need advice with :

1. What do I put above the oversized chair ?
    2. The pouf ... Go or stay ... ?
    3. The wicker lamp , replace with end table and lamp ?
    4. The picture above sofa ... It's abstract and has color theme ... Go or stay ... ? How's the distance from bottom of frame to sofa .. Ok? It's about 6 inches ... Give or take .
    5. Should I get the matching large ottoman in the middle or a table ? Or maybe a larger colored ottoman to replace the pouf ?
  • User
    8 years ago

I think metal wall art would look nice above the chair

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

The art is great and perfectly hung. Stay.

Pouf can stay. Wicker lamp is too short and a little blah. Make it go. Put an end table in the corner with a lamp, something with a little bling. The big chair could use a table of its own, as well.

Coffee table over ottoman. You've got more than enough upholstery in this room. It's ready for some hard surfaces that don't exactly match.

• A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    What about on that empty wall where the chair is ?
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

You could use some texture and variety in this room. I chose a piece of art for over the chair that has a bit of red, then picked it up in the candles on the coffee table. The coffee table is reclaimed wood, the side table is metal with a bone top; both have legs which this room desperately needs. Use a floor lamp here to balance the art; use a larger end table in the corner with a table lamp.

• sandradclark
    8 years ago

The pouf would be okay if there were more items of that color. Add end tables, table lamps & yes, grover a light wood coffee table. Rug idea:

New Oriental Tribal Heriz Serapi 9x12 Hand Knotted Red/Ivory/Blue Wool Rug H3625 · More Info

What do you think?

• A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @sandraclark - that rug is nice , and I get the adding color contrast ... But this rug is staying :) been through about 6 ... I basically need accent help .

@grover - love what you did ... Great tips !!!! Thanks !!!

@carlolins - would love your feedback ...:)
  • anthip
    8 years ago

I think you could do with a metallic finish somewhere in the mix to lighten the weight of the furniture a little. I do like what you have so far though (minus the current floor lamp) and the art works very well.

• Carolina
    8 years ago

Ah, progress! Art is good size, if you love it, keep it :-) I really like the pouf. Lamp is okay, gives a lovely light, but I would prefer something taller. You can probably find a dark corner somewhere else in your house where this one will be perfect.

Would put a table next to the big chair and one next to the loveseat. On the open walkway side. No tables next to the sofa, to not block the way to the seating.

I would go for a coffee table. Not an ottoman. For the reason Groveraxle mentioned. A rectangular or oval one, height should be about seat height, length about 2/3 of the sofa. Two square ones would work too.

• Carolina
    8 years ago

You could also go for something else on the wall above the chair. Something like a collection of baskets, or 2 or 4 square framed prints... Anything you like really. As long as you really DO like it. That's what makes your home personal, gives it character and warmth.

• A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I have high ceilings in the living room , 15 ft . The picture behind the furniture seems it should be higher ? I know the rule 5-7 inches above the back of sofa but would this be the exception ? Or is it fine ?
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Saw these at Ross Today ! Opinions ? It's all brushed Silver maybe more so
    Nickel... 49 each not bad ! What a think for by the chair and a brushed silver/nickel floor lamp to replace the wicker?
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

The art over the sofa is at the right height. It will look a lot different when you get the rest of the room filled in.

I think that table looks great if it's the right size. It should be no higher than the arm of the chair it goes next to. An inch or two lower is fine.

• Storm 7a
    8 years ago
    What about some turquoise colored pillows? And/or a rug with some turquoise or aquamarine colors in it? I think that would help a lot.
  • A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The rug is staying and looking for those color "pops" with accents on walls or pillows etc . The colored pillows is good advice may do away with the patterned ones and get some solid bright Aqua / Turquoise pillows .

As far as the table thank you for the advice as far as height ... Table hunting as we speak :) I may not do a coffee table because I really want a ottoman and the pouf is nice but want something slightly larger . So thinking of exchanging pouf for ottoman . Adding one side table with lamp and a floor lamp . Here's the ottoman I'm thinking of ...
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Aesthetically, an ottoman in this room is a mistake. You have more than enough upholstery and solid furniture. This space needs legs.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

• A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I see your point there ... What about keeping the area open but adding the legs as side tables and lamps ... And just keep area open ?
  • groveraxle
    8 years ago

Here's the Ross table with no coffee table. It looks fine without a coffee table, but I think you're going to want one.

• groveraxle
    8 years ago

I think a wood coffee table with legs would look great.

• viacasta
    8 years ago

I like the first one of the three rugs you chose - the one with the stripes and teals - you can really have fun with this regarding your artwork, throws and pillows, lighting fixtures.

• A Sada
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    @viacasta- what rug ? Send pic .. Just curious

@grover- thanks for the pic ! I'm really liking that side table may have to go get that tomorrow ... If I do should I go for a lamp with color on it or go for a brushed lamp with color shade to set on it ? Also if I go the coffe table route should I match up the wood to my Media Console which is expresso?
  • Heather Macdonald
    8 years ago
    Your room looks great! I would remove one of the patterned pillows on the couch , too matched, take away from the art.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.