affleckservices

A Freestanding Bath in a Bedroom: Yay or Nay?

A freestanding bath may not only be a fantastic focal point in your dream bathroom. More and more people like the idea of having a freestanding or a roll top bath in their master bedroom, which can add a boutique-hotel look to it.

Any thoughts?

Yay!
Nay!

Comments (25)

• PRO
    Sabbini & Co.
    8 years ago

Call us old fashioned but the bed is for the bedroom and the bath should be for the bathroom...However everything is a matter of opinion and each to their own!

Affleck Property Services thanked Sabbini & Co.
  • artemisia_cp
    8 years ago
    No from me as well. I have never understood why these baths are always shown in carpeted bedrooms. How do you prevent the carpet getting wet? The ventilation issues must be a headache and speaking personally I prefer a separate bathroom with a lock on the door - it's made for a happy marriage!
    Affleck Property Services thanked artemisia_cp
  • PRO
    Interiors by Tony P Ltd
    8 years ago

Show piece not practical.

Affleck Property Services thanked Interiors by Tony P Ltd
  • PRO
    Maggie Jones Hand Painted Tiles
    8 years ago

Too messy and impractical

Affleck Property Services thanked Maggie Jones Hand Painted Tiles
  • PRO
    Esther Jury Landscape and Garden Design
    8 years ago

I don't like the idea of a steamy bath in a bedroom I feel a mould problem would be on the cards. Not a big bath fan anyway, prefer a shower (in the bathroom) fitted with a steam unit and you have a home Turkish Bath!

Affleck Property Services thanked Esther Jury Landscape and Garden Design
  • georgiancottageliving
    8 years ago

For boutique hotels not bedrooms!

Affleck Property Services thanked georgiancottageliving
  • PRO
    A9 Architecture
    8 years ago

I think it depends on a few things. There are multiple factors in play here such as the size of the room and the style (a contemporary bedroom is less likely to suit a bath). I wasn't a fan of the free standing bath in a bedroom until I stayed at a great hotel in Marrakech. Take a look at the link of the photo to understand what I mean https://room902.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/room-19-2.jpg

Affleck Property Services thanked A9 Architecture
  • PRO
    Robinson Stone
    8 years ago

I've stayed at the Balancing Barn in Suffolk and there was a bath in the bedroom and because of the beautiful clean design it really worked.

Affleck Property Services thanked Robinson Stone
  • PRO
    Surface View
    8 years ago

Love the idea for a hotel room, but a functional bedroom this seems a bit impractical. Saying that we've seen loads of gorgeous bedrooms with free standing baths that look fantastic!

Affleck Property Services thanked Surface View
  • PRO
    Visuals by design
    8 years ago

I think some sort of at least half partition personally, glass blocks maybe!

Affleck Property Services thanked Visuals by design
  • Trisha Goodwin
    8 years ago

No matter how good your insulation is, venting out of steam etc, a bath makes some steam. Well yes, lots of ways to get steamy in a bedroom, but dampness in bedclothes and other clothes in wardrobes, no thanks - disgusting idea!

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    Seems about as practical as a bidet on the landing!
  • User
    8 years ago
    ...I never even see the point of a free standing bath...nowhere to put the soap, large and takes ages to fill, cast iron so the water cools really quickly. There was a reason for taking these out in the fifties & sixties and installing smaller, well insulated baths with a rim. I have a cast iron bath out in the shed if anyone would like to make me an offer...taken out of the house by the inlaws in the sixties...it only has three feet (apparently a brick was used as the fourth) and will need re-enamelling, but it's got the original taps too...
  • Karen W
    8 years ago
    It's an improvement on throwing your clothes on the chair in the corner ( or the exercise bike in the corner) - you could get much more stuff in a bath!
  • angelboyman
    8 years ago
    This one comes up quite regularly. It's still a nope from me. It rare that I take a bath and when I do I want to be alone. No phones, no kids, no bothering. The bedroom does not need a bath in it. It's a bedroom. Not a bathroom. Next you'll want me to put a bed in the bathroom so I can take a nap after my bath!
  • Shirley Baker
    8 years ago
    Love this question.
    No no no !
    Reminds me to say that this year we stayed in 2 different hotels
    One had a big glass panel into the ensuite beside the bed....not much privacy....
  • PRO
    bathroomOne
    7 years ago

Great look!

• PRO
    Austin John Ltd
    7 years ago

Definitely! I think these can work fantastically, but only if the room is large enough to carry it. Freestanding baths in bedrooms work well when the room is not already over crowded with furniture. If you have a separate dressing room and the bedroom is still large enough, then sure, they can really make a feature of the room.

• PRO
    Roberts Kitchens and Bathrooms
    7 years ago

It's a definite NO from me. For me there are a number of issues such as damp, it could end up being a junk zone and lack of privacy. I think this idea appeals to a minority and if and when you decide to sell your property you are narrowing your market of potential buyers.

• PRO
    Keenan Construction
    7 years ago

We did one for a client, the room was not very large either, looks nice (see in link below). We used water resistant flooring, carpet not recommended!

http://keenanconstruction.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/kc4-img6-big.jpg

• PRO
    Homerite Bathrooms
    7 years ago

Personally would have to say to no to this one. As others have mentioned it can be a good look if the space is right, but would prefer it occasionally in a hotel room where you don't have to worry about constant spillages, dampness and everything that comes with it!

• PRO
    none
    7 years ago

Putting the practicality of this to one side, I vote yes! I agree that a tub in the bedroom is akin to certain boutique hotel rooms (Crazy Bear) but let's face it, it could be the ultimate in self-pampering for those of us that work hard enough to deserve it!

• User
    7 years ago
    Oh Lord above, what possible advantage is there to this idea? Apart from the steam/damp, sploshing n splashing, zero connectivity in design/feel/function or ambiance, what about privacy? The last thing I want in my bedroom is to look at or hear someone else having a bath and vice versa!
  • PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory
    6 years ago

Freestanding Bath in a Bedroom is wet & bad for your health, but maybe it's very romatic for a new married couple.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.