tommyflan

POLL: Washing - hang or tumble dry?

Tom Flanagan
8 years ago

There's unlikely to be many people out there who will be cheering when it's that all too familiar time to do washing (again). And whilst it seems we're always having to do it, one of the things I do love about washing is the smell of freshly laundered clothes that makes its way through the house - that's why I hang my clothes to dry (alongside the fact I've a deep mistrust of the tumble dryer).

But what about you? Do you dry your washing in the tumble dryer or hang them out to dry?

I hang my washing out to dry!
Tumble dryer for me - quick and easy!
Other

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Tom, Yes a mix of both but only according to the weather... Have you tried Fairy non bio gel... It's magnificent for that linen smell.... I smelled a clients washing in the spare room when I was styling her apartment... Her butler showed me the bottle... Well I have loved it ever since! : ))

• pavinia
    8 years ago

Clothes smell so much nicer when left outside to dry. However, I do often crave a tumble dryer in the rainy winter months.

• PRO
    Louise Richardson-Vine
    8 years ago

I don't have a tumble dryer or any outside space :( so I have to make do with clothes horses in the living room or bedroom. I agree that clothes smell nicer when hung outside, but I do like that the fresh laundry smell fills the flat when we hang washing out.

• PRO
    Lloyd's Gardens of London Ltd
    8 years ago

Hang it outside in your garden

• artemisia_cp
    8 years ago
    I moved house 8 weeks ago and now have the joy of a garden. However, this has led to an overwhelming need to wash as many loads as possible just for the pleasure of hanging laundry on my new clothes line! Perhaps the novelty will wear off but for now my vote is garden and no to tumble dryers. Must dash I hear the siren call of my washing machine.
  • Bebe Price
    8 years ago

In the garden, on the balcony, with the windows open! Definitely agree that clothes smell much lovelier when left to dry naturally :)

• phoenix
    7 years ago

You can keep the fairy non bio gel, I'll take the butler thanks very much......

• broadleaves
    7 years ago

Outside for me. I always check the weather forecast and even in the depths of the winter, I can usually find at least one day a week when its possible to dry outside.

Someone once asked me to imagine what heaven would be like and the only thing I would like to do for eternity would be to hang out my family's clothes on a bright breezy spring morning - nothing nicer.

• PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    7 years ago

Clothes outside but bath towels in the tumble dryer to keep them soft!

Shannon

• A S
    7 years ago
    Hi houzzers,

Keeping on the topic of hanging washing out, I would like to seek advice on the retractable washing lines, their sturdiness and durability and which are the. best options available? I'm normally used to just having a line from 2 poles or from a wall to pole but have since looked at retractable so there's no line at all times

any replies appreciated
  • PRO
    Bathroom + Kitchen Eleven
    7 years ago

I have a retractable washing line and think they are the best solution for small gardens. Mine was already installed when I bought the house (6 years ago) and still very sturdy and works as it ought to. Not sure of the make will look when I get home. But I would say they are a great purchase!

Shannon

• lisa77226
    7 years ago
    Both! If I relied in hanging outdoors I'd never have anything to wear! I hang when the weather guarantees it'll dry by the end of the day and use the dryer all other times. I also almost always tumble dry towels. I hate crunchy towels.
  • PRO
    Winchester Kitchens
    7 years ago

Hanging outdoors is always best, but when its raining or damp the tumble dryer is handy to have!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.