andybnh

Single guys can sort-of decorate too!

andybnh
11 years ago
I'm a single guy, and don't have a ton of people to give me decorating advice...so here I am! I have had quite the learning experience the past year or so decorating my new house. Who knew this could be so much fun!

I ordered some flat roman shades for my bedroom windows (from The Shade Store). I really like the flat style becuase I want them to be "fairly" minimalist, have clean lines, and not block the view of the water I have from my bedroom. I ordered one shade to start, as a test piece, in white. Now that it's up, I feel that it is a bit bland, and I'm wondering if I should go with a color, perhaps a gray or something. The walls are a lightish grey with a tinge of blue and brown (Benjamin Moore - Revere Pewter). But then I think abotu it again, and think, maybe the white is nice a clean looking.

What to do...what to do...

Any help or suggestions would be great! Thanks!

Comments (67)

• kingslane
    11 years ago
    love the white but really like the idea of a navy stripe somewhere..
  • trisn
    11 years ago
    The shade you've fitted hides quarter of a sash. Picture this across all four windows, that's quite a loss from such a feature.
  • Related Discussions

New kitchen, but just not working.

Q

Comments (448)
    fragle0 ... congratulations on the new addition to your family. Have been following your lovely changes. You probably won't have time to work on the decor for a while. Just wanted to suggest that you try pulling the nesting tables forward to be more in line with front of the chairs & placing your floor lamp to the back of them. This will give a bit more light at night for reading in that area.Also switching the plant by the fireplace & the one on the corner by the sofa.
    ...See More

Mixing antique brass and polished chrome in the dining room & kitchen

Q

Comments (16)
    What I'm actually wondering though is about mixing the metals - so having the chandelier and lamps with the touch of silver - or would I be better to source antique brass lamps like I have in some other rooms in the house - I kind of wanted to feature quite a bit of glass, and generally the glass comes with chrome, but I'm not sure if it's too modern for the sideboard etc, and mores worried about the clash of metals, but something tells me it might be ok in this instance! I have chrome taps and rainfall shower head in new bathroom and kept with antique brass for the light fittings and door/press knobs. Also yes the room is small but that's not an issue - it is what it is and I'm fine with it!
    ...See More

To panel or not?

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi Marie. It's difficult to tell how wide the room is but a round table could work at the foot of the stairs. Dress with a large bowl and plants/flowers etc. you could also try hanging 3 chandeliers or pendants down the hall. I would also have either 2 matching consoles opposite each other by the front door or keep your existing and add some seating opposite to create symmetry. I think if you were to dress the console with bigger items it would stand out more ie ginger jars on the bottom shelf, classic urns, plants etc on the top. Once you've got the basics done and budget permits, you can add further floor standing decorative pieces, a small chair etc. I think you definitely need some tall art by the front door though or even mirrors if you're not keen to add art
    ...See More

Before and After kitchen renovation on a very tight budget.

Q

Comments (15)
    It is fair comment on not so pretty tiles and unfortunately you can't do much with the floor here because it covers too large area. On a picture you can see only lounge area, which is actually part of the kitchen. Tiles cover floor in the kitchen, lounge area and dining room. Extra large rug wouldn't make it better. This project has two tough points: tight budget and timing.
    ...See More
  • Bj Ries
    11 years ago
    I agree about the window seat and some color with pillows on it. Right now, it looks too 'naked' and unfinished. You could have a valance built (wood) very square, no frills and have it stained a cool color that matches or compliments the color of the bed frame,
    and the shades could 'tuck' under it when they are raised. I have a plant problem, but I would put one in the corner, maybe an indoor pine to match the ones outside.
  • LOIS
    11 years ago
    Sheers! Do not block that view!
  • 1a2b3c
    11 years ago
    What I meant to say in my previous comment is that the view outside adds the color that complements the white window color...
  • donnadnyc
    11 years ago
    I would add a fabric covered box cornice that co-ordinates with the other fabrics in the room. It wouldn't detract from the view but would give the windows a more finished look.
  • Mario
    11 years ago
    Don't know how much privacy is required, but a top/down bottom/up shade gives you a bunch of options. It allows full view or partial view, cover the lower part of window but keep top in full view or vice verse. They come in many colors and also in a texture which would compliment your window moldings. They're a great alternative and they even come with a small valence to dress up the window, while still maintaining a minimalistic look.
    Here's a link to give you an idea.

http://www.hunterdouglas.com/product-option.jsp?id=36
  • snthomps
    11 years ago
    White for sure, keep it clean and let the view be the focus, it's awesome!!! Great job!
  • Barbara Lamoreaux
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Navy roman shades on the inside of the frame. You may want to block the sun some time... just sayin'. I like the window seat and pillows idea. It could be made into extra storage.
  • PRO
    Design & Decor By Shelley
    11 years ago
    I agree with jodiomodio, bring the outdoors in I say..! A woven blind would warm the room up, avoid being too feminine and keep the view..
    Your wall color is very neutral so you have a wide assortment of colour to choose from for your bedding, pillows, wall art etc.
    Looks like a very peaceful space indeed..
  • PRO
    Suzanne Keegan
    11 years ago
    Just do woven wood blinds here. Perfect!
  • Gary Porter
    11 years ago
    I'd leave them bare--no shades or curtains at all. That is a priceless view. I'd never cover it up.
  • Kellie
    11 years ago
    I'd stick with the simple white shades. If there's room to tuck a small slipper style chair into the window corner, that could add a bit of color and give you another great spot to enjoy the beautiful view and all that gorgeous light.
  • PRO
    TKraft Art & Interiors
    11 years ago
    Posted this on FB but it's worth repeating. .. SKIP THE SHADES and enjoy the view!! I'm all for the built-in window seat idea I saw suggested above (but if not in this room in a similar view facing room) OR I would add cornice boxes at the ceiling adding architectural interest and makes the ceiling appear higher and a great place hide the much needed shades. Then add ceiling to floor neutral colored curtain panels on the two 'end windows only' with navy color block wide stripe on bottoms (look at the bed) Spectacular show out that window... who needs TV?
  • evunia
    11 years ago
    Hello A,
    I would forgo the window bench ideas as it seems like you already have a bench there and you would not have much room to walk around.
    As to the windows, What would be a nice accent to the shades that you have is a black or navy ribbon (
    Nantucket in So Cal · More Info
    ), it would bring the attention to the window and to the view.
    I will also hint the idea of painting the ceiling a color that you like. I have done it in http://www.benjaminmoore.ca/en-ca/paint-color/icymoondrops and I love it, with my white walls it looks beautiful and so amazing to wake up to (pick a color you like and one that goes with the interior, don't pick it too dark as it will look darker on the ceiling).
    Add color with the pillows or a feature wall.
    Hope that gives you some ideas, you have done well so far.
  • Beth Morrow
    11 years ago
    I so agree with you...the white is a clean neat look. I think when you install the rest of the shades you will see the uniformity and you will love your decision. Notice I said, "Your Decision.". What a view to wake up to! If you feel like you need to do something you could always glue some braid around the perimeter of the shade in an accent color...say orange or green or even black. But I really don't think that's even necessary. Spend your time on enjoying the view.
    Jealous in Texas!
  • snippybebe
    11 years ago
    I, too, would skip the built in bench seat idea as it looks like space would be an issue. I would add 2 stationary grommet panels, 1 on each end. I would mount them basically on the wall with the lead edges just covering the window trim. They would not block the view or anything but would just frame the window and warm up the look a bit, so it isn't quite so sterile looking. What a beautiful view! If the shades are not needed for light control or privacy, I would leave them off.
  • mspilker
    11 years ago
    I think you should keep the white blinds and add a seagrass bench centered with the three windows (pottery barn has a great one!) with three square pillows in coordinating colors from your bedding. Adding a potted tree in the corner window to bring more of the natural beauty inside and add to the amazing view!!! I would keep it all very neutral with lots of texture - again, I love the seagrass with that view!
  • Debra Jessup
    11 years ago
    So pretty...keep it simple. Where is this room with a view?
  • Debra Jessup
    11 years ago
    So pretty...keep it simple. Where is this room with a view?
  • Clare Beckner
    11 years ago
    leave it with the white--the view is the focus! Some colorful throw pillows on the bed would be all you'd need.
  • pinkiesue
    11 years ago
    the view is beautiful...white around the windows would brighten it up.....
  • PRO
    Sea Classics Trading
    11 years ago
    if privacy is not an issue I would leave it bare If youdo need privacy the white you ordered is perfect Using a glue gun you could add a boarder though your minimal look is so beautiful why mess with it. NC decorator
  • pinkiesue
    11 years ago
    i look at it again...i think it needs colour..
  • PRO
    Box it Design
    11 years ago
    Try the cascade roman shade from The Shade Store . The simple, subtle design of the layers adds the right amount of depth and character to the window. The flat shade tends to look, well, flat :) The cascade effect gives it a touch of texture and dimension, but sleek and minimal at the same time. I would not do white for windows. On off-white or ivory will compliment and warm the space while still having a clean open feeling. You could also do a complimentary color that goes with the wall such as the graphite color. But I think simply going with the cascade you will really see a difference and get the extra something it needs. That view is spectacular, don't cover them with drapes either-that will look to heavy. Good Luck!
  • PRO
    Custom Home Planning Center
    11 years ago
    To distill the above: The view is client, remove the snap in grills on the windows. Add floor length white sheers. On the 2nd rod out from the wall add dark sheers in a color compatible with the bed linens to block the light when you want to sleep late. Design is not all about color & texture, it should facilitate and improve the effective use of the space.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Good choice, so now it's time to move forward. Great view!! :)
  • tessintexas
    11 years ago
    For HIM, keep it simple. Install white canvas "bottom up" roman shades that can "collapse" all the way to the bottoms of the window sills or raised partially or completely via pulleys to the top sills. Nestle a handsome black windsor comb
    back chair diagonally in the corner with a navy/gray/creme plaid "throw" draped over the back or arm. Nearby under the triple windows (to the left of the outlet) set a small "chipped paint' stool to rest your feet and/or hold a hardbound book or two. Perhaps too expensive, but a brass telescope on a tall tripod in front of the first window on the right would be both functional and sculptural. Old wood water skis, a piece of architectural salvage, or large vintage "tourist" poster of the area hung vertically to mimic the lines of the tall windows could be interesting in the wall space near the single window on the far left.
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    Lucky you having such a great view - I think the white frames and white blind you have chosen bring simplicity to the room. Anything more eye-catching would detract from the view. If you need to add interest, do it elsewhere in the room with soft furnishings and maybe a piece of art that reflects the organic shapes on view out of the window.
  • Catherine Gardner
    11 years ago
    I think it would be very dramatic to frame the view with a drape swagger on the left side. Maybe a richer shade of grey/taupe.
  • Catherine Gardner
    11 years ago
    I think it would be very dramatic to frame the view with a drape swagger on the left side. Maybe a richer shade of grey/taupe.
  • tessintexas
    11 years ago
    ...etc.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Nothing like Sheers .
  • PRO
    Bassett Furniture Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Keep a clean look with a roller shade. However, find a shade that is soft Gray and has a little texture.
  • marissa99
    11 years ago
    Why are you still single???
  • PRO
    gingerclaire
    11 years ago
    Ha ha - I was wondering the same thing. Your house looks amazing, can I move in?
  • PRO
    Moran + Associates
    11 years ago
    I had a similar view from my home in Stowe, of water and mountains as well. (on my Houzz site as Vermont Villlage House) I painted the all of the door and window trim a very dark but warm grey,( Fine Paints of Europe seal) and the walls a pale warm grey. They are complex pigmented paints and the colors are wonderful) It made the bright areas of the view beyond & the frames of the windows and doors recede (I.e. do not think one of the ideas above to paint the frames blue to match water would be as effective.
  • melonybrannon
    11 years ago
    Why cover them up?! Do you have neighbors? Put shelves that open or something of the sort so you can keep them open. I say unless you have close by neighbors, that view is the art. Liven your room up with a beautiful spread and upholstrey.
  • lisalovesquilts
    11 years ago
    Hi. I love those windows and the view. I live by the water and also have a great view which we prefer unhindered. Saying that curtains and/or blinds are necessary so we get some darkness to sleep well. Your wall colour is gorgeous and a neutral palette is so versatile, different bedding, a cushion can easily change the look if you get bored. For my two cents I like the idea of adding in some navy in the form of bedding, a quilt or bedspread. Please post your finished room, I'm dying to see it- oh and more of the view!
  • andybnh
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    THANK YOU THANK YOU for all the comments!! I think I will stick with the white...you have all been so kind to give many amazing opinions.

I love the built in bench ideas..but there is not enough room. I do have a leather bench at the foot of the bed, so it somewhat accomplishes the purpose.

To comment on the privacy vs. view issue...I have lived here for almsot 2 years without shades, so as not to block the view. There are no shades downstairs on the back of my house for the same reason. But...finally the morning sun has won her battle, which is really the only reason I want the shades...sleep!!

Thank you again, you are all so very kind. I have many more questions so I will be posting more photos with other design dilemmas from around the house and yard!
  • PRO
    PoshHaus
    11 years ago
    Remember to post the after photo too...
  • Anne Marsh
    11 years ago
    this is the fabric i used with revere pewter . it comes from housefabric.com under the ikat section. it is only $12/meter and is incredible quality fabric . so warm and quite masculine . also have a feature wall painted chocolate brown from the benjamin moore flyer that shows them together .
  • smith2martin
    11 years ago
    We have Revere Pewter in our bedroom with white shades. I'm a big fan.
  • April
    11 years ago
    I think the white is definitly a clean look. However, if you think white is making the room too boring then what I found I'm drawn to is a bold color. In this case it sounds like you could pull off some sort of dark blue since you are near the water. Let us know what you do! Good luck!
  • April
    11 years ago
    I think the white is definitly a clean look. However, if you think white is making the room too boring then what I found I'm drawn to is a bold color. In this case it sounds like you could pull off some sort of dark blue since you are near the water. Let us know what you do! Good luck!
  • lyrical62
    11 years ago
    Needs a pop of color.
  • kdrorvig
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't touch the window. Anything you did would distract from the view and feel contrived. If you desire more color, add some pillows, a beautful piece of artwork (preferably a restful natural scene to complement your view), or a pretty rug...kilim would be my choice.
  • kdrorvig
    11 years ago
    I wouldn't touch the window. Anything you did would distract from the view and feel contrived. If you desire more color, add some pillows, a beautful piece of artwork (preferably a restful natural scene to complement your view), or a pretty rug...kilim would be my choice.
  • kdrorvig
    11 years ago
  • PRO
    Total Kitchen Store by Kelly
    11 years ago
    Your view is breathtaking! I would recommend bamboo blinds for you. They will allow some of that light in, but will allow you to sleep without the sun in your eyes. They can also be very masculine and will give you a touch of color. If bamboo isn't your style, I'd say go for a dark wood blind. Just make sure you keep them open whenever you can!
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.