trinitymedia

what to look for when purchasing kitchen cabinets

trinitymedia
9 years ago
We're building a house and want to make sure we have quality cabinets. What is important to look for in cabinets? We are doing a beach house and want simple, white shaker style cabinets.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Top Quality Cabinets
    9 years ago
    I would look at getting bids from Custom shops in your area. I would ask what types of materials they would use for the boxes, the drawers and what species of lumber they would utilize for a shaker paint door (preference for paint grade is maple). I would ask what types of hardware they utilize such as the hinges and glides. One of the leading manufacturers for hinges and glides would be Blum. I would ensure the paint being utilized is of the highest quality and not a contractor grade. We utilize the highest grade pre cat lacquer based paint we can get which dries to a very hard enamel finish. You do not want a softer finish and should insist on a high quality finish product. Most of your custom shops that have pride of product will build the best box money will buy in your area. Where construction is found to be inferior would be in a mass produced product that is geared towards quantity as opposed to quality. I would also ask to see either a showroom or one of the recent projects the shop has completed, preferably a recent project that was of paint grade. I believe most shops would be willing to provide a free bid and answer all of the questions you may have. Speaking with a few of your local shops will put you on the right direction.
    trinitymedia thanked Top Quality Cabinets
  • trinitymedia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, zazfuzzroc! We had custom cabinets made for us by a local woodworker when remodeling our last home. Loved them but had trouble with the paint peeling and just overall wear. Our contractor likes Canyon Creek Cabinet Company. We're visiting their showroom tomorrow.
  • trinitymedia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, Top Quality Cabinets. Where are you located?
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    You're welcome. I test everything before purchase. I've even tried to burn a flooring sample when it said burn resistant. That's a shame about your cabinets peeling. Might be good to ask how long a painted display has been on their showroom floor. If they have a high volume of visitors, it will give you some idea of how it holds up. Good luck! :)
  • PRO
    Top Quality Cabinets
    9 years ago
    We are located in Texas. I googled Canyon Creek Cabinet Co and they have a well laid out site. I personally would have a preference for the plywood which they list as an upgrade. You should be in good hands with most custom shops, just ensure the finish product they utilize if of the highest quality and you should not experience any peeling of the paint.
    trinitymedia thanked Top Quality Cabinets
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    @zazzy- Be careful with the "all-wood" designation; technically, particle board is also considered "all-wood" in the marketing world today.

@trinitymedia- You can get poor quality "all-plywood" cabinets and decent quality particle board cabinets. As a custom cabinet-maker, i have a low opinion of particle board cabinets and I know, someone out there with try to waste his/her time trying to convince me otherwise. If you want good quality, here are the things at which you need to look.
    -Domestic plywood case construction.
    -1/2" or 3/4" sides and 1/2" back
    -wood corner blocks or stretchers
    -solid hardwood front frames, doors and drawer fronts
    -hardwood dovetailed drawer boxes
    -undermount slides seem to be the standard these days. Blum certainly has good slides, but Hettich slides are better.
    -Usually a cabinet company uses the same brand for drawer slides and hinges. Three-way adjustable hinges are nicer than knife hinges as far as adjustment goes.
    -The staining/painting should be uniform and the top coat smooth. Everywhere.
    trinitymedia thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    Oops! Sorry River, I mean wood, not dust particulates. :) That's why I look everywhere inside and out. Also ask to see the manufacturing process if possible. If they can and there's nothing to hide they will be accommodating. :)
  • trinitymedia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks to everyone who offered help with this. I've been a long time fan of houzz but this is my first post. I feel like I have a resource for amazing info! Next I have to choose plumbing...ugh. This is our first home we've built and hopefully the last one. So many decisions!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    I can only imagine. My kitchen has been stressful enough. Good luck, try to enjoy it. Best wishes in your new home! :)
    trinitymedia thanked zazfuzzroc
  • trinitymedia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you, zazfuzzroc! We remodeled our kitchen...I think that's worse than building a new house. Living in it while remodeling was the worst. We tore everything out and redesigned it completely. If I have a spare moment...ha...I would upload before/after pics. It did turn out lovely and the new owners are very happy. They will have to repaint the cabinets though. (dang)
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You're welcome trinity, Glad someone gets it. Mine was ripped out by the insurance co. Right before the holidays. Gruesome to say the least. But I'm almost done. I think I could have built a new house by now. LOL :)
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.