sadieloulou

"PRO" PAINTER WOES

sadieloulou
9 years ago
Fellow houzzers, please give me examples of common red flags to recognize when a new interior painting contractor begins work in my house. I can give examples of things that i may from now on consider to be red flags. Additionally, what things should ALWAYS BE DONE and NEVER BE DONE when repainting trim, ceilings and walls in a 26 year old home. I don't seem to be vetting these people very well.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    9 years ago
    why what happened ? need more info
    sadieloulou thanked Rockin' Fine Finish
  • sadieloulou
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    DOES A PRO PAINTER COME TO THE JOB WITH THE FOLLOWING: LADDERS, CANVAS DROP CLOTHS, LIGHTS, WALL AND TRIM SANDING TOOLS, VACUUM? ADDITIONALLY, WOULD YOU ASSUME THAT HE WOULD REMOVE ALL WALL VENT COVERS, SWITCHPLATE COVERS, DOORKNOBS, LOCK FACE PLATES,SAND AND CLEAN WALLS AND TRIM AND REMOVE OR "SOFTEN" ANY PRIOR PAINT DEFECTS OR FLAWS? WOULD A PRO CHECK HIS WORK WITH A LIGHT TO MAKE SURE OF PAINT COVERAGE AS WELL AS ANY FLAWS? I FEAR I MAY HAVE HIRED A FAKE IN PAINTERS CLOTHING.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    9 years ago
    if you have doubts of his or hers abilities you need to have them stop and find a licensed and insured painter that has great reviews. ask your friends and family for recommendations for a painter
    sadieloulou thanked Rockin' Fine Finish
  • PRO
    Shearer Painting
    9 years ago
    What was deposit amount ; percentage?
    sadieloulou thanked Shearer Painting
  • PRO
    Warline Painting Ltd.
    9 years ago
    Was the estimate for work to be done in writing? Did it include a scope of work, specific products to be used and provide a firm price for that work? Did it include his business numbers, license, workers compensation numbers, an address, telephone number and website?
    sadieloulou thanked Warline Painting Ltd.
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Is he trying to sell you his special brand of paint? Unless you know that your painter is buying a specific grade of paint from a well known specific supplier and it is in the agreement, some will trick you with cheap paint that you pay premium for. If you select a specific paint and color and he says, "Oh, I can match that," find out why he doesn't want to use your brand and make him provide an actual sample painted on your wall prior to allowing him to purchase all of the paint. You might need to pay him for this step, but it's worth it. Sign off on the sample. Anything you want to have done needs to be specifically spelled out in the agreement.
    sadieloulou thanked Susan Berry Design, Inc.
  • PRO
    Warline Painting Ltd.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    You are right Curt. All of those things should be done. I think what the professionals here are trying to point out is that many red flags are identifiable before the painter even steps in your home. Clearly defined, professional written estimates are one. The amount of a required deposit is another (it should NEVER be more than 10% and if the job is small no deposit should be required).
    I think most homeowners would want to feel pretty confident about who they have work in their home before they actually start. All of the items Sadie listed are standard protocol for a reputable painter.
    sadieloulou thanked Warline Painting Ltd.
  • sadieloulou
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Fellow houzzers, thank you once again for ALL of the helpful advice and discussion. Yes, we did go over my expectations. Yes, we did go over scope of work. Yes, I did provide my own SW paint. Yes, I did provide all of the "normal" tools a pro should have arrived with. Yes, I did pay him a high percentage 4 days into the job. Yes, I noticed all the red flags, but husband wanted to talk with him and give him a chance to correct any and all problems. Yes, I have learned valuable lessons. Most importantly, whatever is agreed upon- GET IT IN WRITING!
  • User
    9 years ago
    Don't wait until the painter shows up to be assured that he/she is good. Ask for references and check them out in advance by contacting the customers and looking at their house. A good painter will have ready references available. If they don't, hire someone else.
    sadieloulou thanked User
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago
    Well your husband was correct in his thoughts that the painter should have been given the opportunity to correct any problems and upon customer satisfaction, paid the painter the outstanding balance. Never pay for any job until it is completed to your satisfaction.
    sadieloulou thanked Angel 18432
  • sadieloulou
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    YES! REFERENCES, REFERENCES, REFERENCES
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago
    So your saying the painter showed up in clothing...without anything else? Hmmm. That is not the normal way these guys work. Normally they have their own set of everything. They have favourite brands of rollers, trays, brushes and drop cloths. These are things they can TRUST which means they can continue with a job without any guess work.

The red flags were there when s/he showed up without anything but empty pockets. I would have questioned that at the very least.
    sadieloulou thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • sadieloulou
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    SO TRUE...
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    That doesn't sound like a painter to me; that sounds like a warm body to move a paint brush.
    A lot has been covered up above, but I'll add a few more.
    If the "painter" smells like pot or beer when he shows up up, send him packing.
    Some painters charge by the hour. The better ones ask for the furniture to be moved away from the walls and will cover them will plastic/drop cloths. Really good painters can cut in without taping off the trim, etc. Everything not being painted should be covered.
    sadieloulou thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • sadieloulou
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    We dodged a bullet on the recreational substances. We did all the moving. He does well only AFTER we go behind him and point out every flaw, missed spot, unsanded surface... Yes, should not have let him continue,or even begin, but here we are, on the downhill side of the mountain...
  • PRO
    River Valley Cabinet Works
    9 years ago
    Maybe he needs glasses?
    sadieloulou thanked River Valley Cabinet Works
  • PRO
    User
    9 years ago
    Was his estimate Reasonable for the amount of work and level of perfection you expected.
    sadieloulou thanked User
  • sadieloulou
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    In hindsight, after doing much more research, I believe he underbid and underestimated the scope of work. I never asked for nor hinted about getting a lesser level of quality for a lesser price. We discussed what I expected, and he set the price. I should have heeded the red flags though and not let him begin work.
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.