emmelinewe

POLL: Exposed beams or painted beams?

Emmeline Westin
9 years ago
Exposed beams are a must-have in a farmhouse or a loft space, it doesn't get more rustic than that. If you paint them however, you create a totally different look.

What do you prefer, exposed or painted beams? Tell us in the comments section!
Exposed beams
Painted beams
Other

Comments (11)

• Victoria Harrison
    9 years ago
    Painted beams!
    Winchelsea Beach · More Info
  • PRO
    The Thatching & Building Company
    9 years ago
    Why cover the beauty of English Oak!
  • sunnie2day
    9 years ago
    I chose other because I think it depends on the building. Both photos above (and Victoria Harrison's with her post) are gorgeous and building appropriate - is there anything worse than exposed beams in the wrong setting? Maybe painted ones in the wrong setting, lol!

Either way, in the wrong setting exposed or painted beams send the wrong message.
  • pavinia
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Exposed!
    Ex Albergo Arnetoli, Loft Conversion · More Info
  • PRO
    Black Cat Interiors
    9 years ago
    I chose exposed because I like the look in that picture better but it really depends on the space and the style you're after.
  • PRO
    Rob Crawshaw Photo
    8 years ago

I prefer exposed beams but having seen some of the examples above I can see that painted beams will work great in some spaces.

• PRO
    Pillar to Post
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Neither!

You don't need to strip, sand blast or paint them! We treat beams with a water based process. There's no mess whatsoever! www.pillarpost.co

• PRO
    Foxcovet
    3 years ago

Wood has a myriad of natural shades tones and warmth. I personally could not conceive of a situation where a manufactured shade of paint would appear to be a superior finish! why would you, why would you!

• PRO
    Decopierre Stone GB
    last year

I spend my days covering RSJ's,  boxed in beams any old and tatty existing beams back to wood look. BeamFX by FauxOakBeamMakers

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.