angbeebee

Do I need a rug or not?

angbeebee
9 years ago
I need something to liven up this living room. Do I put a rug on top of the carpet or just cushions? If a rug, should it be a darker shade or lighter shade?

Comments (40)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I think you need some pattern here, and it should be in a rug plus cushions...
    angbeebee thanked ASVInteriors
  • lisaclough
    9 years ago
    I completely agree with ASVInteriors, pattern and pops of colour are needed in this room. I would try some patterned cushions in a complementary colour, maybe some shinier accents on the coffee table and mantel, art work. If you went with a rug, it could even be smaller to fit the coffee table area, just to bring more colour. An apple green with silvers would look nice!
    angbeebee thanked lisaclough
  • Related Discussions

I need a new rug for my sitting room

Q

Comments (21)
    Love your carpet choices here! I noticed that there no artwork on the walls yet. This will elevate the mood of the room since you will need an upper emphasis once your room is anchored with the carpet. It is easier to decorate around a rug, the one you love for sure, than around a focal piece, such as art. After you choose from any of the beautiful carpets above that work with your interior, take a photo of the room with the carpet installed in it. Have fun looking for the artwork that best sings with your carpet. and that grabs you. After you have the choice of art up on the wall, look for small accessories of colour of shape, size and texture that work with the whole composition last. Do not forget something living such as plants, which take the sterility out of the room, especially neutral walls and natural floors.
    ...See More

Need advice on what to do next!

Q

Comments (6)
    A large area rug, an end table in between the two chairs with a lamp on it. The two niches on either side of the fireplace could use a console table or cupboard of sorts with some items on them like lamps or greenery. I would also set up something inside of the fireplace opening such as a rack with birch wood or a cool iron multi candle holder. Bring in some color, greenery, lighting. You have a good start.
    ...See More

do pre sealed stone tiles need maintenance.

Q

Comments (1)
    The only pre-seald stone on the market that I'm aware of, and doesn't require ongoing maintenance, would be Q-Seal stone products. They have a factory applied lifetime sealer.
    ...See More

Do I need to sand walls before painting

Q

Comments (0)
    I'm painting a room a new colour and wondering if I have to sand the entire wall before the undercoat/primer and coats. I've watched videos which talk about the need to fill holes and then sand the wall. Does sanding the wall only refer to the areas around where the filler was used, or do you have to sand the whole wall regardless. Wall has no holes and was previously painted. Can I just go straight to prime and paint?
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Jim Hicks Home Improvement
    9 years ago
    I agree that you need an area rug with color to brighten up the space as well as bright throw pillows.
    angbeebee thanked Jim Hicks Home Improvement
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    Rug, pillows, large art above mantel, chandelier to replace fan, end tables, lamps; all would help. Put the TV stand against the wall and place the TV on a swivel base. Try a sofa table behind the sofa whose back is to the windows. A tall piece (bookcases, secretary, etc.) is needed on the wall right of the windows. Bar stools look to be additional seating for TV watching. Once you move the TV stand you may have room to put a pair of small scale swivel glider chairs on that stair well wall. They can turn easily towardTV.
    Luxe Slipcovered Swivel Glider · More Info

Grazia Swivel Glider · More Info
    angbeebee thanked decoenthusiaste
  • L Koike
    9 years ago
    I think a solid color rug would look great. It looks like you are a simple/ neutral type person:)
    angbeebee thanked L Koike
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you all so much for the invaluable advice and suggestions. Yes L Koike, I'm a neutral type person so I find myself stuck with neutral items all the time (LOL!!)
  • chrisinky
    9 years ago
    If you want to stay neutral: Go with a cream rug to match your fireplace but it needs to have some pattern. Very dark gray or black with cream pattern or trim for your cushions. Also throw in a couple of cream cushions. You need some chunky dark accessories for your mantle & something like a large cream bowl for your dark coffee table. Put some metal work art on your walls. You can stay neutral but also have some interest by having dark & light.

If you want to get a little bold: Go with red, lime green, turquoise, orange, or whatever color you are drawn to for accessories. Start small to see if you like it. Get some throw pillows and a vase or bowl in similar colors. Live with it for a week or month to see if its something you want to invest in. If not, you haven't spent much. If you do like more color, start adding more accessories, artwork & a patterned rug to pick up your chosen color. Spread coordinating colors into your kitchen & dining room. I suggest you do it slowly to not overwhelm yourself if you are used to neutrals. Either way, have fun!
    angbeebee thanked chrisinky
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    It looks like you have carpet already or am I wrong?
    If you do then just add some colour with pillowes
    Rizzy Home Beige Circled Applique and Embroidery Decorative Throw Pillow · More Info
    angbeebee thanked Geneviève
  • PRO
    DC Interiors & Renovations
    9 years ago
    Pattern and color in both area rug and pillows!
    angbeebee thanked DC Interiors & Renovations
  • PRO
    The Persian Carpet
    9 years ago
    I would put a contemporary rug in there with a lot of color. You could easily pull it off and the right piece would really pop in there.
    angbeebee thanked The Persian Carpet
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes Genevieve, that's carpet indeed. It's been a dilemma of whether I should put a rug on carpet or leave as is...
  • chrisinky
    9 years ago
    Try adding other things first like pillows, a throw & accessories. After you do that you may be satisfied with the look without a rug. You wouldn't need it unless you just want it for design purposes.

If you're still thinking about a rug, find one you like in the correct size & bring it home to see what it looks like. Make sure you can return it if you don't like it.

You have a very nice room. It just looks like a blank slate right now.
  • chrisinky
    9 years ago
    Some inspiration maybe.....
    Traditional Family Room · More Info

West Newton Living Room · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-parade-of-homes-traditional-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~1501552
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    My two cents: no rug, no curtains. Or lighter coloured curtains if you must. But art on the walls and a bunch of flowers or a beautiful bowl on your table.
    angbeebee thanked Carolina
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you chrisinky. Yes I think that's what I will do. Add some cushions first and slowly build it up. Also thank u for the inspirations. :)
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you Carolins. Like the flower idea. I might consider going for a lighter shade for the curtains if not for the fact that I've already bought them and can't return them. Probably will take them off to see how the place look without them.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    9 years ago
    You need colorful accessories--is there some reason your drapes are staggered? Can you push two panels to each side instead?
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    I agree, come patterns and textures will liven this space up a lot. Also, art, accessories, etc.
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    9 years ago
    Art will certainly add interest and color to your room. You may want to find the artwork first and then add pillows and other accessories in colors of your art. Please check out our page for art and color inspiration... Raisa
    http://ben-and-raisa-gertsberg.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html
  • PRO
    Slightly Quirky Ltd
    9 years ago
    A rug is a good focal point and the colours can be kept very subtle.
    I think soft pastels would work here.
    I would also try to make the window treatment more minimalist by pulling the center panels to the sides and having the central section clear.
  • groveraxle
    9 years ago
    I also am not a fan of rugs on rugs, and I wouldn't do it here. You've got a nice minimal thing going, so let's go with that and skip the rug. BTW, minimal does NOT mean put the smallest things you can find on an enormous fireplace. I took your tiny plants away and fed them to the dogs.

I chose art that is bold but not too colorful, and keyed off that for the pillows and the bowl thing on the coffee table. This is probably enough. Be sure to punch it up with some black, though. The inkiness helps make the colors work.
    angbeebee thanked groveraxle
  • Geneviève
    9 years ago
    Good :) then leave it as is , just add some pillows .
    angbeebee thanked Geneviève
  • Laurie
    9 years ago
    I'm not a fan of carpet on top of carpet. instead, you could get curtains in the same beautiful style but with a really bold pattern. I think that would really bring some life to the space
    angbeebee thanked Laurie
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Wow, thank you groveraxle! I suppose I really should ditch those small items on the mantel.

I will definitely check out the site you recommended, It's a Beautiful World.

To: Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball and Slightly Quirky Ltd - About the drapes, the reason they are this way is because there are actually 3 separate windows divided by walls. To save some cost, we DIYed plantation shutters from Home Depot resulting in a not-so-polished look so I hung the drapes this way hoping to take attention away from them. You can see in between the curtains, the windows are not framed.

To: decoenthusiaste, love your suggestions of how I can put more pieces of furniture.
  • PRO
    Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
    9 years ago
    I always start my design process with an exceptional area rug. It grounds the space plus adds color, pattern and texture to the room even in a monochromatic room such as this one. Also, it's important that all the furniture sits on the rug with at least 12 inches extra all the way around. More importantly though, this room needs accessories, art and life. Good starting points... but needs inspiration and character from the homeowners lives ~ happy designing!
    angbeebee thanked Leanne Michael L U X E lifestyle design
  • doctornancy
    9 years ago
    Well, I am going in a totally different direction. My first thought when I saw your room was to paint your fireplace - to add some drama without taking away from the clean lines of the room. Painting stone/brick usually elicits outcries from Houzzers but perhaps not this time since your fireplace is already painted. I love the contemporary vibe you have going in the room. Your drapery panels are actually drawing attention TO the windows, because of the contrast in color between them and the wall and windows. Sorry - might be worth throwing some more money to fix that problem. Love your room. It's going to be fabulous.
    angbeebee thanked doctornancy
  • Carolina
    9 years ago
    I do like the doctor's painted fireplace and added lamp. You do need lamps. I can only see the fanlight?
    angbeebee thanked Carolina
  • PRO
    Affreschi & Affreschi
    9 years ago
    Change the walls colour
    angbeebee thanked Affreschi & Affreschi
  • valeriepro
    9 years ago
    Where did you get the sofas? I like Doctornanny's ideas. Tying the drapes to the brown in the table is great - otherwise I would get another table. Can you face the sofas across from each other?
    angbeebee thanked valeriepro
  • soto01
    9 years ago
    I'm not a fan of area rug on carpet either. Seems easier to trip over when it is not as flat as on wood floors. I loved Doctornancy's ideas. But if you don't want to paint the fireplace, first try the patterned throw pillows and some art and accessories as Chrisinky suggested. It may be all you need..... I DO love the contrast of the dark fireplace. I'd hate to change out the curtains, since they are lovely and you probably paid quite a bit for them, so try the other suggestions first. You may find you are quite happy with just a few tweaks...Lovely space, by the way! Good luck and please post some "after" shots for us to see.
    angbeebee thanked soto01
  • bcappa
    9 years ago
    I love all the ideas- very interesting. The only thing I didn't see so far- maybe add
    a Banana Tree or tall Palm tree in the corner by the windows. As far as drapes, I would
    change them to white or cream to fill the room with light.
    angbeebee thanked bcappa
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you doctornancy for the beautiful image. Never thought my living room could look like this! I get the idea now of having a bit of drama added to the room.

Hi veleriepro, I got the sofa from Gage Furniture at Austin, TX. I could face the sofas across but its positioned for watching TV at the moment.

Yes, soto01, I would post some after shots. Great advice and thank you for the compliment.

Yes, bcappa, the room feels a little dark. I have thought about adding plants too. I might remove the drapes and use them for another room and then get lighter ones. Thank you for the ideas and suggestions

I so love this site!!! I'm getting really psyched up now about doing it up
  • 60sunshine
    9 years ago
    Yes, you need texture and some color. Remember pillows are cheap changes. I order a few yards of beautiful fabric each year from a local window decorator and have old pillows recovered. Then add some color with decor.
    angbeebee thanked 60sunshine
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you 60sunshine. Yes, I will add some colored cushions.
  • L Koike
    9 years ago
    If you want color I would def go orange with matching pillows . I am a neutral person too. If you want to go neutral I would def go for an off white with some subtle design in it. :)
    angbeebee thanked L Koike
  • angbeebee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Yes I do like the off white cushion idea. Thank you L Koike.
  • PRO
    Fiona Cochran
    2 years ago

From your question, it feels as if you do not feel the room is complete. I would say the rug is an opportunity to bring in some subtle colours to lift the scheme, you could tie in the colours of the rug with some cushions on the sofas. My inclination would be to stick with the more muted tones, rather than stark contrast at this point. I would say lighter tones, darker would feel too heavy in my view.

• valeriepro
    2 years ago

where did you buy the sofas?

• bcappa
    2 years ago

Curious to see how the room turned out after 7 years. Maybe added a playpen, child's swing, and toys to the design?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.