lainey_hope

Lowering drains…?

lainey_hope
4 years ago

Hi there,

Our garden level seems to have been raised previously, it's higher than the inside of our house and is breaching the DPC, so we need to lower it. We have two drains in the garden, one water and one sewer. I was just wondering if anyone could give any advice on how hard/easy this might be to do? Potential DIY job or does it need to be a professional? And whether we need to get in touch with our water company or not?

Here's a photo of each (the inside of the water one looks quite new to me?!). The sewer has a PVC lining, so does that mean it'll need a new lining or would we just cut the top off of this one?

Thanks in advance for any help (and sorry for the gross photo/subject!)

Comments (3)

• Jonathan
    4 years ago
    I would get a general builder in- in fact you won’t be lowering the drain just the inspection bit (so the cost shouldn’t break the bank)
    lainey_hope thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    4 years ago

Your final level should be 150mm below DPC.

It's not a difficult job if you are quite handy, just don't let any muck get down the drain.

you will also need a new cover for the circular drain. I would recommend two new covers and get recessed covers, they look so much better.

lainey_hope thanked AGI Landscapes
  • lainey_hope
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you both, super helpful.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.