kauferdesigns

70's style bath transformed into a Coastal Modern Retreat!

Soft blues tiles with wall lights and double head shower, concrete floors that give a earthy feel to the space. A custom concrete trough sink, wood walls and to top it off a built in espresso maker. One of my favorite remodels.

Comments (48)

• PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Dytecture! It was a fun one to design.
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Great Shower! Nice change
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked Michael Lee, Inc
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Great overall design...just a bit thrown off by the color of the glass tiles.
  • L A
    10 years ago
    How big is that shower?
  • PRO
    Meg Blu Home
    10 years ago
    I find the espresso maker odd from a practical standpoint. Where is the coffee stored? Milk? Sugar? And is the toilet in a separate area? It's kind if gross to think about eating/drinking in the same area one uses the bathroom.
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Shower is around 6' x 4'.
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Megcblu - Being a designer you need to put aside your own likes or dislikes and cater to the client. They wanted a espresso maker in the bath so an espresso maker it is! I think you would be surprised to know how many people have a coffee or espresso maker in their large master bath 'suite' this is not the first for me.
    It is more common than you think.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Nice job!
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked User
  • PRO
    Meg Blu Home
    10 years ago
    Kelli- I get that and I understand not all design clients give the designer carte blanche to make all the decisions. I just find the placement directly across from the toilet very off putting. I would just make the disclaimer that this was the prerogative of the client and not my choice as designer lest people think you had suggested it. I have seen a lot of master suites where an espresso machine, small refrigerator etc. are placed in a vestibule outside the bathroom or sitting area off the master bath to feel like a luxe resort but I don't think the layout of that bathroom lends itself to the espresso machine for the practical things I mentioned above. Where do you store the things usually needed for the machine (cups, coffee, milk etc)? If the client had insisted that the espresso machine be incorporated I would have pushed very hard for the shower to me made smaller and the toilet enclosed with its own door. Its so close to the sinks and shower I feel like hair, toothpaste etc. could travel onto the machine (which I imagine cost about $2000- not a cheap toy).
  • Driver Howard
    10 years ago
    If I had that much space, I'd choose a giant tub over giant shower. But it does look beautiful!
  • PRO
    Picture it Sold!
    10 years ago
    Would that floor tile happen to be a tile by Crossville called Tuscan Clay Rosso? I love that tile and am about to use 1300 sf of it. It is now discontinued, I bought mine a year ago.
  • kazul1
    10 years ago
    That is lovely! And the old bath? omg the mirror? I wouldn't want to see myself in the tub. no no no lol
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked kazul1
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    Love the coffee maker.
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked littlemissk
  • Roshan D'Silva
    10 years ago
    Kelli - I can see in the original image that they had a bathtub and a shower cubicle - a sort of raised area. What happened to that area?
  • Julie Smith
    10 years ago
    Is there a light fixture in the shower? Interesting. I suspect the glass is somewhat tinted and that's what's making the shower tile appear an odd color. I think it's beautiful though!
  • Forrest Farrah
    10 years ago
    megcblu I agree with you. I mean if this was my job and the client requested and is paying well....then hey no problem. But I'm thinking along the same lines as you. This is not for me. I mean why not just stick a mini fridge behind the toilet while we're at it. But if the client requested a mini fridge behind the toilet...I would smile and say, "Sure, that will cost you extra but no problem." :)
  • lori
    10 years ago
    This is fantastic! Love the espresso machine and tv!!!! Love!
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked lori
  • itsjustme2
    10 years ago
    I don't drink coffee, but if I did...I wouldn't drink coffee that was made four feet away from a toilet. That's just gross.
  • Judy Kelly
    10 years ago
    I have seen master bathsvwith coffee areas that were seperated from the toilet. This one is just to close to the toilet to be tasteful.
  • Judy Kelly
    10 years ago
    But, great job on everything else. Love the shower and the sinks.
  • Leanne Backstrom
    10 years ago
    I love it I want a big open shower space without glass though I hate cleaning the stuff!
  • PRO
    Renaissance Home Staging
    10 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of expresso machines in a Master Bath..or a TV.
  • littlemissk
    10 years ago
    I have a separate room for the toilet and it's a nice distance from everything. The idea of a station somewhere for hot water to make tea or coffee appeals to me since I like to sip as I'm getting ready in the morning. I have to go to the kitchen and then bring it back. Not a big deal since I do it now, but if I ever get the opportunity!
  • Uwe Preul
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    A Coffeemaker in the bathroom for me is a sign of a stressfull life. I spent much more time on the breakfast table as in the bathroom. The size of the shower is lovely. Apart from the TV and the CM I like the style. Looks verry european.
  • PRO
    Dufour Design LLC
    10 years ago
    All that and you reused the old toilet in the same place? What did you do with the rest of the Bathroom space? the old shower space looks like you made that into a new storage area and obviously you traded off about 2-3 feet to another space moving the beautiful new shower inwards...curious as to why instead of giving the WC a more intimate setting? I don't understand the logic of a shower that appears to be 8 foot by 3.5 foot.
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    It is lovely, but why not enclosed the toilet? It looks like the old shower was next to it, so there was room for it. That would have made better sense than having a coffee machine a few feet from it...ewwww!
  • Lee Taylor
    10 years ago
    Coffee in the bath, NOW! LOVE!!!!
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked Lee Taylor
  • Lynda Delaney
    10 years ago
    Don't you have health regulations in regards to toilets being away from food items?? That is a bit disturbing.
  • thefailes
    10 years ago
    I'm with others... the coffee machine is a bit "gimmicky" for me and totally impractical ie cleaning, fresh milk, limited bench space (with the trough-like basin?). If it was my client I would gently advise against it along with the TV which can only be viewed from the WC which is just weird. But then again, some clients just want what they want. Also curious as to why the same WC? Also there is a disparity between the fittings ie modern taps and traditional towel rails. Overall, it doesn't work for me and will date very quickly.
  • Ranya Tawfik
    10 years ago
    What is this material you are using for the sink?
  • Christy Tay
    10 years ago
    I remember watching this bathroom makeover on tv...
  • Jane Burgett
    10 years ago
    LOVE most of it, can't handle the toilet right out there in the open and so close to the coffee maker, yuck.
  • sluggodog
    10 years ago
    Love the shower and the glass tiles... The only thing I'm not a fan of is the double sink and minimal counter space..
  • Ania
    10 years ago
    Esperesso machine in the bathroom?
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What you don't see in this photo, we were able to add a second bath behind the new shower location. The second door went into the hallway which we closed off, it is now a full kids bath. I would say it was a great use of a extremely large master bath, meeting the needs of the entire family.
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Carol Embry, the flooring is 18" x 18" concrete tiles.
  • ambersarris
    10 years ago
    Beautiful room. The colours are so calming. How does the grasscloth wallpaper hold up in a bathroom? I live in a very humid area, and obviously there is moisture from the shower, but would love to use it in my remodel.
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked ambersarris
  • Mary Ann Peterman
    10 years ago
    Love the cool glass tiles and the earthy grass cloth. Very coastal colors..would be as refreshing as a dip in the sea to shower there. Moving into a home with a lot of white tile. Was thinking to wallpaper with grass cloth but now will for sure.
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked Mary Ann Peterman
  • PRO
    Nancy Young Designs
    10 years ago
    I love the new look of the bathroom but I definitely try to give my clients a private toilet room if they're going to the trouble of remodeling. Sometimes not possible but that is usually my first idea. That way the coffee machine would be more desirable for those that don't like it all in one room. Otherwise, a relaxing new room!!
  • whitedaisy77
    10 years ago
    just plain disgusting having food in the bathroom. gross
  • PRO
    WW Design Studio
    10 years ago
    Looks great! I'm okay with the expresso machine but would rather have it in the kitchen.
  • Karin S.
    10 years ago
    Love Love Love the Espresso maker!!!!!
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked Karin S.
  • PRO
    Ford Metro Inc
    10 years ago
    Leanne Backstrom, just a FYI if you use shower guard glass type it really cuts down cleaning times, and build up from hard water deposits and "shower stuff" it is a permanent treatment to the glass...just a thought if you ever want to do something like this...
    Kelli Kaufer Designs thanked Ford Metro Inc
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ranya Tawfik, the sink is concrete.
  • brugnut
    10 years ago
    Miele coffee
  • oeohfppe
    10 years ago
    aerosol effect - every time you flush contaminated water droplets are dispensed into the air and send germs ALL over your bathroom. I won't even store my toothbrush in the bathroom. Studies have been done. You can look them up. ick. ick. ick. on serving food or beverages in the toilet. ew.

Otherwise - VERY nice update!
  • PRO
    Success Floors LLC.
    8 years ago

Very nicely done! Looks completely different.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.