2boysparents

Seeking info on inherited Parker Knoll Chair, upholstery choices?

2boysparents
3 months ago

I am from Australia and looking for some help. We have inherited this chair. It is a Parker Knoll and I think may have been purchased from a now defunct company called Beard Watson, most likely in Sydney. At least, that is my best guess from the stamp shown in the pictures. Since Parker Knoll is English I'm hoping there may be someone over there who could share some information.

Some time ago I contacted the Parker Knoll company and they referred me to London Metropolitan University Special Collections Library, where their archives are held, to see if they could identify it, but they found nothing like this model in their records.

The Watson stamp is dated 7 Jul 1950 but this chair is a much older looking style than those in the Parker Knoll brochures for that era.

The upholstery is in poor condition and I'd love to get it restored/reupholstered. I will definitely be using a well qualified upholsterer to do this job but I'm stuck on what type or style of fabric to choose. Our house is a fairly transitional style with some traditional leanings and though this may well be the oldest piece in here, I don't exactly want it to look like a museum piece. Having said that, I certainly don't want to devalue this chair, especially if it's something rare.

Does anyone have a Parker Knoll chair like this? Would this be the original upholstery? With what would you reupholster it?

Comments (14)

• Isla Cherry
    3 months ago

I would reupholster it in plain oatmeal linen. You could use it anywhere then. Linen is always classic. Is the frame in reasonable condition? If so I would just polish it with something natural like beeswax.

2boysparents thanked Isla Cherry
  • Jonathan
    3 months ago

I’m with Isla. You don’t have to choose an old fabric style. In fact this will sit much longer and more happily in your home if you make it match everything else.

2boysparents thanked Jonathan
  • jenmason014
    3 months ago

What about a nice William morris fabric

2boysparents thanked jenmason014
  • Rosie G
    3 months ago

Upholsterer here (longstanding hobby not a business). I’m pretty certain that’s the original fabric. I’ve done several PK chairs and they look great in velvets. It was a mass production chair and so you absolutely don’t need to worry about being authentic to the original - choose exactly what you like! They are smashing little chairs, often very comfortable considering that they can be quite petite.

2boysparents thanked Rosie G
  • Rosie G
    3 months ago

… although I’ve never seen that particular style before, they usually have a model number stamped on the frame. I wonder if it was a special model for export?

• siobhanmcgee90
    3 months ago

Agree to go with a plain linen or velvet.

2boysparents thanked siobhanmcgee90
  • rosemonde
    3 months ago

They can also look good in a patterned velvet. I did this one for an upholstery class.

2boysparents thanked rosemonde
  • Rosie G
    3 months ago

That’s lovely!

• Rosie G
    3 months ago

Here’s one of mine - it’s a linen fabric.

• Laura
    3 months ago

@jonathan would love to ask for your advice on a room layout if possible, well two rooms divided in to three! I have posted in design dilemma, you e been so hugely helpful previously and would love some advice. Thank you!!

2boysparents thanked Laura
  • 2boysparents
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thanks @Rosie G for the hint on this possibly being the original upholstery. Also, I do love William Morris designs so that is definitely a lead I'll be investigating while I look for new materials.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond with ideas and suggestions. Maybe I'll be able to find a really great velvet with a Morris type design on it and combine a few of your ideas.

• 2boysparents
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I love that bright patterned velvet on @Rosamonde's chair but it would probably be quite jarring with our general style in this house. I also love the linen on Rosie G's one.. so obviously I'm all over the place with my tastes.

Anyway, you've all given me plenty of ideas to research. Thanks all.

• Juliet Docherty
    3 months ago

I would consider somthing form the Bauhaus era of design. Something old but 'modern' at the same time. Just google Bauhaus fabrics.

2boysparents thanked Juliet Docherty
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.