webuser_779505394

To Tudor or not to Tudor

HU-779505394
5 months ago

Our 1950s home needs a bit if a makeover due to failing render. I’m not sure if we should stick with what we have, change the wood colour to a lighter option, forget the wood altogether and just render or do vertical black woodlike cladding (no maintenance needed on this one). It’s quite overwhelming as it needs to be money well spent, what do you think? Thanks

Comments (9)

• Daisy England
    5 months ago

I was going to say Sonia has previously posted some nice photos of a lighter timber finish. They’re above. Taupe or a pale green would look nice.

HU-779505394 thanked Daisy England
  • Isla Cherry
    5 months ago

I would do a lot of research first. Consider your lifestyle and how much time and money you have available for maintenance. It's certainly not historic so I would be more inclined to chose a more modern finish.

HU-779505394 thanked Isla Cherry
  • HU-779505394
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks so much for taking the time

to comment. i like the beams being lighter but its the maintenance that worries me. i so wish i was good at photoshop so I could see the different options.

• Sonia
    5 months ago

Just a thought, but could the wooden beams be replaced with pvc? I know you can get pvc cladding, so maybe you can with beams? Or if you don’t want to have keep repainting, then remove the wood altogether - this will make me cry as I love that tudor look but you must do what suits you and it’s not my house! I tried to find a picture of a house where the beams were removed but I couldn’t find any.

HU-779505394 thanked Sonia
  • HU-779505394
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hoping to get a quote back today for that Sonia 😀

• tim_baker921
    5 months ago

I think the house looks all of a piece so I would just repair and maintain what you have and not try and impose elements of current fashion.

• PRO
    Canmore Design
    5 months ago

Personally I’d keep the Tudor style and clad the brick in dark wood.

• Sarah
    4 months ago

I'm not a fan of Tudor style myself, but in this case, it all fits together and I think a major change might not cut it without doing a lot of other things too. Sonia's suggestion to change the colour sounds great, and I know you can get plastic 'wood beams' for internal use, so probably you can for external too. (Don't try to use anything designed for internal use, as it is likely to be badly affected by the sun.) A colour that will go well with the yellow brick is what you will need, so perhaps not grey but something with a bit of yellow in it.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.