webuser_18191624968

Is it ok to put a 90cm hood over a 110cm induction range?

Marco Nicoletti
5 months ago

My kitchen designer tells me it’s ok to put a 90cm hood over a 110cm induction range. What do people think?

Comments (13)

• Isla Cherry
    5 months ago

No it is not. The extractor hood should at least be the same width as the hob or preferably wider. This is to catch as many odours, steam and wafting smells as possible. They are only saying that to keep the design of the upper cabinets simple. Up to you but it's not the correct design decision. What is the clearance of the upper cabinets? A larger 1100mm model probably won't fit between them. If it doesn't extract to outside and is merely filtering/recirculating then it probably doesn't matter. Is your range cooker hob induction?

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi Isla. Thanks for your response. The clearance is wide enough to accommodate a 1100mm hood. The range cooker has an induction hob. I was thinking of an inverted T shaped hood but then that might look a bit crammed in.

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi Isla. Cosmetically do you think we’d get away with the 90cm hood? Or do you think it would just look wrong?

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

A work in progress! Sorry about the mess! The 110cm hood from the previous kitchen is still in place so there’s definitely enough room for the 110cm black inverted T-shaped extractor. I’m all over the place with this and appreciate any opinions you may wish to offer.

• Isla Cherry
    5 months ago

I don't think it would be that noticeable that the hood is slightly narrower than your range. I would also consider how often and what sort of food you like to cook. If you are more of an oven user then I don't think a slightly narrower hood is a dealbreaker. It's a good looking hood, the new one. If you do a lot of stirfrys and open pan stuff then I think you need at least the same size as the hob. I'm just curious as to why a kitchen designer would advise a narrower hood? Is there a big cost difference? Once you have an upstand or a backsplash you would hardly notice it was narrower and there are some very ornate extractor's which look more like light fittings and are not the same width as the hob. Could you view some examples in a showroom to help you with your decision?

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks, Isla. I visited a showroom yesterday and it’s frustrating that they don’t do glass angled 110cm extractors. I thought perhaps the black T shaped chimney 110cm extractor was the best alternative option because it looks modern, matches the range and doesn’t take up as much wall space leaving things looking more open. I’m in a tizzy over this - it’s driving me nuts. I’m even considering keeping the existing stainless steel hood but, of course, it doesn’t go with the new black range. What do you think?

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

He just thinks there’s no problem with a 90cm hood above a 110cm range and that the black glass hood looks cool.

• Isla Cherry
    5 months ago

It does look cool 100% agree. It's also not best practice to have a smaller extractor than hob for reasons previously explained. What suits your requirements the best? You have to live with and use it not the designer. I agree totally about the black rangemaster hood looking more open.

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks, Isla. We do a lot of cooking so to be on the safe side we should probably go for a 110cm hood. Having said that, two of the five hot plates on the new range are located centrally and will be directly under the hood whilst the other three hot plates will be three quarters under the hood. It might be that there’s a compromise to be made between functionality and style. If I was going to be 100% utilitarian then I’d go for the 110cm hood - but style is important too.

• Isla Cherry
    5 months ago

Good point about the hot zones being under the middle of the extractor. It's a good looking piece of equipment, I'm sure you'll make it look great.

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks for your help, Isla. You helped me to clarify my thoughts. I’ll post a picture of the finished job in about two weeks’ time for you to look at. I’ll be glad when it’s all done, I can tell you!

• Isla Cherry
    5 months ago

I can only imagine. I have renovated three houses and did not enjoy it at all. Keep your eye on the prize. I look forward to seeing it completed.

• Marco Nicoletti
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Wow! You’ve renovated three houses! I bet you learnt an awful lot from doing that. Thanks again.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.