mark_saddington55

Help with a garden

Mark Saddington
5 months ago

Hi everyone,

We moved into a renovation property a year ago and now its time to start on the garden.

Is currently over grown and will need clearing, but how to fill the space is the hard bit.

Its a good size garden, all be it a strange size but I've measured below for you to get an idea.

Things we would like are, a greenhouse, veggies patch, garden room and some lawn space for kids to play.

The garden has hedges all around which we like but other than that......I need some help.

Thanks,

And this is the current garden looking back at the house.

Comments (7)

• Daisy England
    5 months ago

Heck, that’s some garden.

l would put the garden room close to the house so you don’t have to traipse on wet ground when trying to reach it.

Vegetables l would plant towards the top.

My only concern would be the fact that it looks as though it is on a hill so be wary of where the water will drain to. You don’t want it cascading into your house or even on the decking, therefore you need to ensure adequate drainage is in place.

Mark Saddington thanked Daisy England
  • Isla Cherry
    5 months ago

Your garden shape is asymmetrical so I would steer clear from any 90 deg corners as far as possible. You could curve your veggie beds for example. I would first clear it before planning it. Try to save any large shrubs that you like by transplanting if possible as they take forever to grow. The hill comment or slope is very valid.

Mark Saddington thanked Isla Cherry
  • Mark Saddington
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thanks for the comments. The photo must be giving an optical illusion as there is no hill.

• Mark Saddington
    Original Author
    5 months ago

If you did get 2 mins to sketch an idea out, that'd be amazing. I think the shape of the garden is throwing me off. Thanks,

• Sonia
    5 months ago

It’s hard to see what plants you already have. It would be a good idea to keep as many as you can even if you have to move them as dealing with a completely empty garden can be even more daunting! I have no idea about design but aspect is important. So is the garden south facing or north facing etc?

Greenhouses and vegetable patches are normally at bottom of the garden, but they do need a sunny spot to grow well. As Rooted Concept suggests, do lay a decent path to that area and any outbuildings. Nobody wants muddy shoes! Do you use Pinterest at all? If not, join as it has some fabulous garden designs to help inspire you. Also worth watching some of the more recent Garden Rescue programmes with Charlie Dimmock on I-player. They do amazing transformations on there, or even apply yourself. You pay for supplies and the labour and design is free.

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    5 months ago

What an amazing space and shape to work with.

With a space this large it is worth having a word with a professional designer as the cost could just run away with you. Carful planning and discussion about materials, uses for spaces and dream wants will help create a beautiful garden for you and the family.

A professional can help you design to a budget or plan long term as budget allows, this will ensure the garden flows and becomes a great place to spend time. And not end up as a series of spaces that clash and have no cohesive connection with each other.

Remember the garden is usually the largest room of the house, and can become one of the most used and enjoyed with the family.

Regards Ian

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.