webuser_846006001

Is drilling a small vent hole in a load bearing wall a horrible idea?

Pamela G
9 months ago

I am renovating my flat and desperately wanted an externally vented extractor fan as I think recirculating ones are pointless.
Initially I asked the management company and they said they agree but if there is any damage I will be liable.
My contractors also agreed on drilling the hole. Now, few months later they said that this is a load-bearing hole and there is a lot of risk. Few days later however they said if I want the hole they will drill it, no problem.

I am now really confused with this whole back and fourth and no one giving me a clear answer whether I can or cannot drill through this wall..

Would a small vent hole just above the window(photo attached, marked yellow) really pose risk to the integrity of the wall?

Comments (5)

• User
    9 months ago

I think all external walls are load bearing, and vents are always put through external walls, so I don't see an issue.

• Jonathan
    9 months ago

Don’t put it there.

My belief is that your building is constructed around a reinforced concrete frame and the yellow X is where the frame is. Assuming you and your builder concur that this is part of the principal construction then perhaps the venting can exit the building through the tile

• User
    9 months ago

Having said that, like Jonathan says there will be a concrete beam there. Is there wall space for the vent?

• Sonia
    9 months ago

I have a vent near the bottom of my external front wall which was installed by the cavity wall insulation engineers and also there’s a vent where my boiler flue is, so it is possible.

• Jonathan
    9 months ago

I think you might find you can’t do it.

Your picture is quite close up so it’s difficult to tell- but I think you might find your building was constructed of concrete floors held up by concrete piers- the same as you are used to seeing in multi storey car parks. It was a common construction method and all they did was enclose the structure with a brick layer. The point is that it looks like the bit you think you are going to drill through might well be the concrete floor of the first floor. I think it needs further investigation

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.