shruti_tarun

Kitchen and bathroom swap - feasibility and thoughts?

Shruti & Tarun
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Hi,

We are looking to buy a house (UK) and one of the first things we'd like to be able to do is swap the kitchen and the bathroom. The bathroom is at the back of the house and is part of an extension, next to the dining extension. We'd like to move the kitchen there, get rid of the wall and open into the dining extension (which has French windows into the garden). We'd like to move the bathroom to where the kitchen was (which is an odd space and too small for a kitchen). The entrance can be both from the hallway (where the current kitchen entrance is) and the dining space where there the original door is. There is also a hallway between the kitchen and the bathroom which we will eat up into the kitchen.

Buying this house for me is contingent on us being able to do this, but we are so new to this and have no clue if this is feasible at all. Also, what should we budget for this? Our offer will depend on this.

Your thoughts will be most appreciated!

Apols for the low res floor plan, it's what the agents have uploaded :/

Comments (3)

• User
    9 months ago

I presume there's a bathroom upstairs?

• Shruti & Tarun
    Original Author
    9 months ago

There is!

• tamp75
    9 months ago

I would say it’s feasible so long as you can access the soil pipe for the toilet from the new location. However, if you move the bathroom to the current kitchen location, surely you’d need to put a small corridor through the space to access the new kitchen / diner? You won’t be able to use that space as a walk-through room as it is now. You’d also need to have gas / electric points installed for the new kitchen area. I’m not sure that what you’d gain would be worth the cost.
    Personally, I wouldn’t swap them over. I’d look at the possibility of opening the current kitchen to the reception / dining room with the dining area by the patio doors. I’d then look to use the bathroom area as a bathroom / utility / laundry room as you have outdoor access there.

Shruti & Tarun thanked tamp75
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.