laura_o_brien93

help - updating 1950's exterior, half red brick

Laura
10 months ago

Would love to get some feedback / inspiration for the exterior of our new house. It's 1950's and trying to decide if we should stain the red brick a creamier sandstone shade and paint the painted walls a warm white with black front door. Or should we embrace the red brick and not fight against it and repaint the walls in a darker tone. Really unsure so would really appreciate any ideas!

Comments (7)

• Laura
    Original Author
    10 months ago

This is the neighbours house which you can see is absolutely beautiful. Thinking of going for a black door, and maybe the same beige paint colour they have and not fighting / restraining the red brick and going with it

• Laura
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Any ideas welcome!

• EE BB
    10 months ago

Neighbours is lovely. I think the pillars on yours date it. Just changing the porch could do a lot

• Laura
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you! Agree on pillars. Windows will need to change too so can introduce a new colour but unsure what will work with red brick and how to compliment with paint?

• Jonathan
    10 months ago

Personally I think the issue is proportions not colours. I think you want to paint the brick because there is too much red- the solution is to put more greenery between the house and the drive.
    I think you want to rip down the porch because it doesn’t currently sit right…. But I think that’s the proportion of the path in front and if you make the path squarer and the same width as the porch these columns would look grand. And if you replace the windows a deeper fanlight will change the windows from suburban to grand.

• Laura
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you Jonathan, I always hugely appreciate your advice. I found this pic online that I thought could be something to work towards? What do you think? In terms of windows is there a style you think will work?

• Jonathan
    10 months ago

Hmm. I not sure because of proportions again. Since the windows you have are not as tall as in your inspiration picture I don’t think you can have four horizontal divisions. If you have three then I think you may well perceive it to be cottage like. However most window companies will show a mock up to help you decide.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.