tracy_noyb

Tile dilemma for a primary bath floor

Tracy N
last year

Doing a master bath as part of an attic conversion to a master suite. Because we're in the roof, there will only be one 18"x30" awning style window in the shower area. Otherwise, we'll be relying on interior lighting. No photo, as the space is all 2x4s and plywood at the moment.

We had planned to try and go 'timeless,' but we fell in love with a blue tile for the shower (pictured). It is trendy, but we are okay with that. I'm sure we didn't do things in the right order, but we've selected just about everything in the bathroom and are completely stuck on the floor tile.

Vanity is planned to be oak or cherry Linear Vanity from Room and Board (oak is pictured). Vanity top to be a white quartz they offer, called Blizzard White. In the mood board-esque photo below, it's center bottom. Our other option for the vanity top is just left of that - Minuet marbled white quartz.

Wall tile behind toilet will be a ever so slightly warm white oversized subway - In the mood board-esque photo below, it's to the left. Fixtures are planned to be chrome, but that's change-able. It's a hold-over from the 'timeless' idea.

So....for floor tile. We've considered:

marble or other natural stone (we're not good with maintenance, so no)

marble-look porcelain (we don't feel they are particularly convincing)

slate (afraid even the light gey versions are too dark for the space)

concrete tiles or concrete-look tiles

a simple solid color (white, a warm grey?), letting the blue shower walls steal the show

Especially since the space doesn't really exist yet - we're in a spiral of not being able to decide and need some voices that aren't the tile store reps. :)

We did try getting help form an interior designer, but didn't find it particularly helpful, as he pointed us to generic faux marble. So, I figured we'd try crowd-sourcing!

Primary Bath · More Info

Primary Bath · More Info

Primary Bath · More Info

Comments (11)

• Shawna
    last year

I love the tile, and it goes nicely with the oak vanity. I don’t love the countertop. Something less stark white would look nice, I think.

Tracy N thanked Shawna
  • elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

The skylight gives you the only natural light...does the tile come in a greener tone?

Silly, but thinking trees tops, and I am a fan of wood paired with green.

Tracy N thanked elcieg
  • kandrewspa
    last year

The blue tile is pretty, but I don't know if I would do the whole shower in it. Look at how dark the one below looks and this bath has a window in the shower, and another one right next to it. How large is the bath you're doing?

Rock View Road Addition · More Info

Instead, here's blue used as an accent:

Master Bathroom · More Info

They used a light gray porcelain for the floor and shower floor. I have a darker gray (more like slate in mine, but I have a white vanity and white shower walls. But gray is a good floor color because it doesn't show every speck of dust.

Tracy N thanked kandrewspa
  • cpartist
    last year

I would do the wall tile and floor tile the same. You already have a lot going on. I love the blue tile for the shower and it looks to be the same blue that Paul used in his bathroom

Tracy N thanked cpartist
  • Kendrah
    last year

That blue wall tile is really pretty special. Who is the manufacturer? I'd like to read more about it and try to find other inspiration pics online for you.

If you zoom in really close on the material that the tangerines are sitting on it has a concrete and terrazo feel to it. I would think about that. The blue tiles create a great mood that I think is kind of dumbed down by plain white counters and white subway tile. I would consider a counter that is not from Room and Board so you have some different choices.

Tracy N thanked Kendrah
  • RedRyder
    last year

Stick with white for the floor. Make sure the whites all play well together so none of them look “dirty” or “gray” next to the others. The blue tile is the wow factor. Good choice on the vanity - the wood vanity will prevent a sterile “too-white” feel.

Did you decide on the shower floor? You can repeat that in the rest of the bathroom floor for consistency - especially if you use glass on the shower and that floor can be seen.

Porcelain is durable and inexpensive, so reconsider it. Yes, marble is more maintenance and personally, it would be too traditional for the blue tile. Something in a different shape than the tile for the floor will be a nice contrast without taking any of the attention away from the blue. Round, hexagon, even a penny tile in white can work. Or go with larger slabs to keep the floor looking modern.

With limited natural light, staying with white will keep the room from feeling like a blue cave.

Tracy N thanked RedRyder
  • Tracy N
    Original Author
    last year

kandrewspa - We're considering only doing the blue as the back wall, with the warmish white oversized subway as the side walls. All glass front to the shower, so that should help the light reach in a bit further. Plus, the shower itself will have its own overhead light.

elceig - I actually have that image pinned on Pinterest!

Lomo - I do have a weakness for terrazzo. Just wondering if it might be too busy for the space.

RedRyder - I'd like the shower floor to be a smaller version of the bathroom floor, so they are tied together. I actually love porcalein tile for durability, I just haven't been wow'd by the marble-look porcelain tiles. My back-up for the shower floor is an unobstrusive small white hex or penny tile. We are thinking either big hexagons or 12x24 tiles for the bathroom floor.

Some of my inspiration images:

Primary Bath · More Info

Primary Bath · More Info

Primary Bath · More Info

• Kendrah
    last year

Go big or go home. Your third inspiration pic is the best shower of the three. A three sided colored tile and the ceiling too is the way to go. I really think just the back wall seems skimpy and brings down the look of the colored tile. You have found stunning tile, you need to take the dive. It will not be too dark if you have a glass door and a light inside the shower as well as good lighting in the room.

I agree, faux marble just looks bad. I do not think your space will look too busy with terrazo so long as the specs and chunks are on the smaller side and don't have a ton of contrast. I urge you to look at very light grey subway tiles with matching grout.

You've trapped yourself by finding a fantastic blue tile and needing to elevate the rest of your bathroom to meet it. Not a bad problem to have because in the end you're going to have a killer bathroom.

• RedRyder
    last year

Make the glass piece bigger to avoid water in the floor and have your glass company do a half moon cutout so you can get to the valve. I agree go big and do three walls in blue.

Porcelain tiles come in most shapes and colors. A hexagon on both floors, in two different sizes, would be lovely.

• Tracy Hudak
    last year

As you walk in the bathroom, the shower will run along the back wall, with the showerhead and glass on the left and the controls on the right wall. That cut-out is clever, though.

As a ’regular Joe,’ it is hard to keep perspective. So easy to get tied up in trying to find the perfect answer, when it’s more likely that a number of combinations could look good. Analysis paralysis for sure!

• PRO
    Dounia Home
    last year

loving the direction this project is going!

I would like to suggest this fixture for your tub area

https://www.douniahome.com/products/najma-pendant-light

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.