andrew_wibberley

2 Bedroom Semi Detached Corner Plot - Extension Ideas

Andrew Wibberley
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

I would like to extend my house to add addtitional ground floor space and also an extra bedroom(s) / improved bathroom.

For downstairs, open plan appeals a lot and I would really like a large sliding door into the garden.

I would be happy to move the kitchen.

I would also like to add a log burner.

I have zero expereince so any ideas at all would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• Daisy England
    last year

So you will be extending out towards the hedge which will offer you additional ground floor space and then above that first floor additional space.

I would leave the ground floor positioning as it is thereby keeping a separate lounge. A complete open plan space makes it difficult to keep warm and hide clutter in the kitchen area.

You could extend to the side and have a social kitchen diner with a sofa in.

Do remember if you do go all the way out extending to the hedge you won’t have access to the back garden from the front so l would leave some space for bins and lawnmowers to get through.

Above that plan space wise for what you need upstairs.

Andrew Wibberley thanked Daisy England
  • Jonathan
    last year

It depends on what you want to spend….. until you know that all ideas are a bit abstract.

You could for instance built an extra room behind the kitchen. A 5m X 4.5m space would make a super new living room with log burner and doors to the garden. I would add an aperture between the kitchen and the current lounge and turn the old living into a dining room (better flow than having this space as the living room). Expect to spend £50,000 on this plan.

Andrew Wibberley thanked Jonathan
  • Andrew Wibberley
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks to you both for your replies.

My budget here would be 80k to complete all work inc. internal.

Is the approx 50,000 you have quoted for just structure or all in?

• katlucy
    last year

Long shot, but has anyone extended to the front and side in your block? it would be easier coming to the top of the stairs and turning left into a bedroom and maybe allow for ensuite and larger bathroom over the small side return.

Maybe also build a porch too to incorporate the small window which could then be a door to increase flow?

• Andrew Wibberley
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Katlucy, i hadn't thought of that. No, everyone seems to have extended to the side and / or back.

• katlucy
    last year

A few layouts if you can extend to the side at least 1.2m

• katlucy
    last year

With each I wonder if a hallway with utility and coat cupboard would be useful/possible?

can you do a loft conversion for the addiditional bedroom/ensuite

• Jonathan
    last year

The average cost of a 20sqm extension is £44,000. This varies across the country and can vary depending on choices such as the roof, exterior materials and glazing. Interior work like taking down a wall starts at about £1,500 but you need to remember this can add lots of follow on jobs such as having to move radiators and electrics and put down a new floor…. So a job that starts at £1500 can easily become a £5,000 job.

But since you have a good budget I think you should be investigating building to the side because this allows upstairs extension possibilities. You first step should be to call your planning office at the local borough council for some free advice about what will be permitted.

• Andrew Wibberley
    Original Author
    last year

Wow thank you @katlucy - some great ideas for me to consider there!

Thanks Jonathan - yes agreed, this will be my next step!

• Andrew Wibberley
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Jonathan, really interesting ideas from everyone on this post. I think seeing the different plans above has made me realize my number one priority would be extending to the back of the house with an open plan room and having sliding doors into the garden as your initial post.

Are there any reasons why no one has suggested a wrap around extension to achieve this and also make the current kitchen area larger as well?

Thanks again all.

• Jonathan
    last year

A wrap around extension is more complex because you normally end up taking out the corner of the original house which requires more engineering- this tends to be the option when you have limited space. Since you have a generous garden I would put an extra room behind the kitchen

• katlucy
    last year

A single storey extension right across the back, if funds allowed, would create more ground floor circulatory space,…but i wonder if there is enough in the budget when you want more bedroom and bathroom space as well.

For me, a double height extension at the rear would block too much of the afternoon sun/light in to the plan….and i think the double height side extension would still need to happen to make access upstairs to the additional bedroom space.…but it would solve all of your needs…..comes down to priorities and compromise, as always!

Andrew Wibberley thanked katlucy
  • katlucy
    last year

I would also investigate a loft conversion with picture window/doors to the side aspect, maybe removing the chimney….a log burner could go on any outside wall.

Andrew Wibberley thanked katlucy
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.