topa_mi

Floorboard restoration?

Top M
last year

I'm moving into a late 1800s semi detached cottage with newly laid flooring including new carpet in the lounge. I don't mind carpet upstairs but from an aesthetic and design perspective I prefer wood flooring downstairs. Also easier to keep clean! There are floorboards under the carpet that I'm thinking of having restored. Anyone had floorboards restored and does it lose heat easily? is it drafty? Underneath floorboards I think are timber joists. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• Wumi
    last year

I would check that the floorboards are in good nick and be prepared to do some remedial work not only to the floorboards but also the floor joists.

It’s an excellent time to check your floor joists are structurally sound and add in some floor insulation, a vapour barrier and possibly some extra noggings if the floor is bouncy.

I can’t advise on floor restoration but I did rip out carpet to replace with engineered wood (on top of the existing floorboards). Ended up replacing 40% of original floorboards and replacing some joists due to wood rot!

• Holly C.
    last year

I would expect your floorboards would sand up beautifully. Many companies will do sanding and replace boards with boards of a similar age. There are a wide range of different price points and skill levels, so it's worth shopping around a bit.

Consider installing underfloor insulation *before* doing the floors. (We didn't do that in my previous house, and regretted it heartily every time a draft came through the boards.) I'd be wary of anything that didn't breathe (like celotex or kingspan) in a house of that age, but some companies will do rockwool, cellulose, or sheeps wool in little hammocks. I've done that in my current house and we really feel the difference when we walk around without shoes.

Also consider whether you want to replace radiators or plumbing before doing the floors. Nothing is so annoying as making a radiator decision six months after doing the floors.

• Sonia
    last year

Yes it can be very draughty and they also need regular upkeep as they will show wear in high traffic areas. I placed laminate flooring over them and it is much cosier now.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.