watchedpoppy

Ventilation for a skillion shed

watchedpoppy
last year

I have a skillion roofed shed that gets hot in summer and condensation under the roof in winter.

Weathertex board for walls and colourbond roof, north-south orientation in Sydney, high side of roof on western side, low wall on eastern side. 6.6m long x 1.5m wide (yes long and skinny shed). Shed also divided into two sections, one part with the pool equipment and other side with all the usual shed stuff. Dividing wall does not reach the roof totally, about 10cm from the top.

I had three thoughts to fix the heat and condensation:

1. Foilboard placed on top of the rafter, leaving about 15mm air gap between foil board and roof

2. 15-20mm holes along the length and top of the 6m walls under the batten board. (insect screens to cover the holes to keep creepy crawlies out)

3. wind whirlybird

Any advice on which method would work, or other ideas greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)

• Cheryl Kingsman
    last year

Why can’t you use insulation and line it with James Hardie fibre cement sheeting. I have a pool house with a skillion roof and that is what we did no problem with condensation at all. We used James Hardie Scyon sheets for the walls inside and out and have a vapour permeable membrane as well as insulation.

• watchedpoppy
    Original Author
    last year

That sounds good Cheryl. I was hoping to avoid having to line the whole shed but I may have to so the temperature is more even inside. I'll check out the sheeting and membrane. Cheers

• PRO
    Daniel Lindahl Architecture
    last year

Is it easy to remove the roofing and replace it again? If you are prepared to do that I would recommend using Anticon insulation under the roofing.

It is a foil faced fibreglass blanket (foil down) that you place tightly over the battens before you replace the roofing. This will stop the condensation and make it more bearable in summer. You can get it in various thicknesses but most typically R1.3 to R2 (60-90mm). It needs to sit tightly to the underside of the roofing to prevent condensation. It gets squashed over the battens, but that doesn't matter so much.

When building from scratch it would be better to place it under the battens for more consistent insulation thickness. I always use this under metal roofing, even when there will be ceiling insulation as well.

watchedpoppy thanked Daniel Lindahl Architecture
  • watchedpoppy
    Original Author
    last year

Have I the will to take the roof off and start again? KOL.

I'd like to fix it properly so I may have to forge . Thanks for the advice

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.