webuser_950818645

Kitchen cabinet fronts MDF vs construction grade plywood??

Sarah Curry
last year
last modified: last year

I am designing my kitchen and was originally going to go with IKEA carcasses and get fronts from a PLYKEA-esque place- plywood with an oak veneer for the lower cabinets and the island and white for the uppers. (See pic as my jumping off point) On a whim I went to a kitchen place nearby- they do MDF carcasses (I'm assuming they couldn't be far off from IKEA) as well as MDF cabinet fronts with the oak veneer. Is one really better than the other (MDF vs construction grade plywood) or should I go with the cheapest I find?

For context, I would like quartz countertops. I don't know if that really makes a difference as I THINK Ikea (and thus, MDF) holds those up just fine. Also, neither plywood nor MDF veneer options are foil, but are actual oak.

THANK YOU!

Comments (4)

• Ricky Watkins
    last year

You need to check what thickness some supply too, Thicker better IMO, Daisy seems too know her stuff on this as it's her arena she'll be the one too tell you best options

• Sarah Curry
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Ricky Watkins- thanks! Yes, both IKEA & the local place I went to run 18mm all around from what I can tell. But with the plywood it is 13 layers. Unsure about measurement in mm! Also, who is Daisy?

• tim_baker921
    last year

Ikea cabinets are fine but be aware they are designed for their home market and fit with the rest of their kitchen range. A common issue is that the cabinets go back to the wall whereas in the UK a gap is left for pipework etc. Swedish services come up through the floor.

• Daisy England
    last year

I’m not familiar with Ikea products. I do know that their doors are a different size to the standard ones here in the Uk so if you want to replace doors only in the future you will not be able to unless you go back to them and they offer fascias only. If there are 13 layers it will probably be birch. If it has a oak veneer on the ply it will need to be lacquered to stop any damp ingress. It may be the case that it’s melamine not veneer?

The main carcase construction is MDF. Some are 15mm and better ones 18mm thick. Check the thickness of the edging too. 2mm ABS edging is the better option.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.